Why become a member? ×

Changes to the Take It Away Scheme...

Noisyjon

Just seen that from April 1st the scheme is only open to 18 to 25 year olds.
All to do with cut backs so it looks like now is the time if you were thinking about it!

[url="http://www.takeitaway.org.uk/news/6200/important-changes-to-the-take-it-away-scheme/"]http://www.takeitaway.org.uk/news/6200/imp...it-away-scheme/[/url]

Regards,
Jon

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1163100' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:04 PM']Just seen that from April 1st the scheme is only open to 18 to 25 year olds.
All to do with cut backs so it looks like now is the time if you were thinking about it!

[url="http://www.takeitaway.org.uk/news/6200/important-changes-to-the-take-it-away-scheme/"]http://www.takeitaway.org.uk/news/6200/imp...it-away-scheme/[/url]

Regards,
Jon[/quote]
Age-ist - if the law can work for sex-ist on car insurance why cannot we more mature people have the same benefits!!

[quote name='vsmith1' post='1163142' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:29 PM']Age-ist - if the law can work for sex-ist on car insurance why cannot we more mature people have the same benefits!![/quote]

Older people generally have higher paying jobs, so dont need the help asmuch.

(24 next week :) )

Edited by WarPig

I work for a large music retailer and this is really going to affect business.

About 80% of the take it away schemes are applied for by over 35's. This is usually done by a parent on behalf of a child.

I would get in quick people this scheme has been brilliant.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1172875' date='Mar 23 2011, 07:20 AM']There goes my 1x12 cabinet then and a £500+ sale for the shop :)[/quote]
TIA is/was supposed to be just for instruments not amplification for some reason. Starter packs acceptable.
IMHO somebody 'up there' didn't want to be seen to be axing the scheme - political faux pas - so they have pretty much strangled it and left it to die. A much more politically and morally expedient move would have been to restrict it to those in full time education or parents on their behalf.
We will be organising an alternative scheme, albeit at significantly more cost to the shop.

I'm not looking to start a fight, but this scheme is just another way of getting into debt, isn't it?

Nine months interest-free credit is fine, so long as you can keep up with the repayments. There's no shortage of car dealers who'll offer you similar terms if it means that you buy a car you can't afford.

If you can afford nine months of instalment payments, then you can afford to save up for nine months and never need to take on the debt in the first place.

Am I missing something?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1172980' date='Mar 23 2011, 09:43 AM']I'm not looking to start a fight, but this scheme is just another way of getting into debt, isn't it?

Nine months interest-free credit is fine, so long as you can keep up with the repayments. There's no shortage of car dealers who'll offer you similar terms if it means that you buy a car you can't afford.

If you can afford nine months of instalment payments, then you can afford to save up for nine months and never need to take on the debt in the first place.

[b][u]Am I missing something[/u][/b]?[/quote]
No you're not, but if you're (not you obviously) the type of person who get's into debt there's plenty of ways that you can do it with or without the TIA scheme. For the majority who don't it's an easy and convenient way of bringing forward a purchase or funding a better peice of kit. The fault of debt is people not the TIA scheme which I for one have used twice and will miss it.

Hey ho!

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1172980' date='Mar 23 2011, 09:43 AM']I'm not looking to start a fight, but this scheme is just another way of getting into debt, isn't it?

Am I missing something?[/quote]
your missing nothing..people are impatient.. but if you can afford it, why not have it sooner than later.. if its interest free i dont see the problem..

i was going to take it up when i was better financially, but im not that bothered that now i cant..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='burray' post='1173046' date='Mar 23 2011, 10:32 AM']What's the rush? If you want to purchase in this way then just apply for a 0% credit card for however many months. Bosh.[/quote]

There is that of course. It seems a good schemeto me, and maybe shops like it even more.

I guess I have a few more days to think about it.

There is nothing wrong with going into a credit agreement with your eyes open, knowing how much it will cost a month and sticking to it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1172980' date='Mar 23 2011, 09:43 AM']If you can afford nine months of instalment payments, then you can afford to save up for nine months and never need to take on the debt in the first place.

No, you're spot on. If the scheme didn't make people buy more (or more costly) stuff than they would if they had to save up for it, there would be no incentive to run it.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1173079' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:02 AM']There is nothing wrong with going into a credit agreement with your eyes open, knowing how much it will cost a month and sticking to it.[/quote]

I entirely agree - if I didn't, then my mortgage would make a liar out of me.

But this topic is lamenting the partial demise of a scheme that encourages people to take on debt by buying instruments which they may or may not need, which they may or may not be able to afford, and which (being new) are definitely going to be more expensive by this route than they would be by buying second-hand.

Context is everything.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1173101' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:23 AM']I entirely agree - if I didn't, then my mortgage would make a liar out of me.

But this topic is lamenting the partial demise of a scheme that encourages people to take on debt by buying instruments which they may or may not need, which they may or may not be able to afford, and which (being new) are definitely going to be more expensive by this route than they would be by buying second-hand.

Context is everything.[/quote]

or allows people to buy something that they have seen that may not be available in 9 months. I bought a second hand bass through the scheme.

But you are right in the hands of people who struggle with budgeting money it's a bad thing, but for the majority of people who can cope with manageable debt it's a good thing. Helps keep stores in business and provides healthy stock for trading on here a few months after :)

Edited by farmer61