Why become a member? ×

London Bass Show - who bought what ??

bassbluestew

Some great posts on this weekends show so far, big thanks for those

What I'd really like to know is, did anybody buy anything, and if so was it a real bargain ?? Even if you just spotted a deal but didn't go for it that would do. Details please.

Although i have no doubt it was a fantastic event, from a very mercenary point of view I am wondering if it is worth the expense of a trip from Glasgow.

Moochass Grassyass,
S

Two sets of strings - a cheap-ish set of DR Sunbeams and a non-discounted set of the new D'Addario black nylon tapewounds (as I hadn't seen them before). Thats it!

Would have been difficult to buy a bass there (at least on the Saturday) as the slapfest din was so deafening it was all but impossible to test drive a bass properly

Yeah, it was far too noisy to buy a bass - and apart from the MusicMan stand, most basses were in booths so small you couldn't really see them anyway.

That said, I played a Stingray for the first time in 14 years and I really liked it. Now I'm all confused. :)

I think the days of shows being places to go for bargains have been changed by the combination of the Internet and, to a lesser extent, a recessionary economy.

It used to be that retailers put everything up for sale at full list price and then might chuck in a strap, case, strings etc or a small discount to sweeten any potential sale.

Nowadays a lot of potential buyers have thoroughly checked the lowest possible price across the web (often from overseas or people who don't actually have any stock) and walk through the door of a retailer with a fixed price in mind.

Consequently those retailer margins are squeezed and it's much easier to get a discount in store (or online) by being well prepared. Retailers may still put list prices on ads but everyone knows they will deal on a lot of stock unless it's very rare or they have an exclusive distribution deal.

When you look at a show then the dealers have got anywhere from £500 to £1,500 extra costs to run a stand (not sure how many people noticed how dark some of the stands were? Reason being you'd have to pay about £400 to hire the house supplied spot lights for 2 days!).

The dealers will all try to re-coup as much of this as possible by knockin out low ticket items like strings, tuners, shirts etc but there's not a huge amount to be gained from selling their core stock of basses at below their regular shop discount prices.

Some people will be happier to haggle more towards the end of the last day just because it saves a bit of loading etc and there's always the odd 'show' bass kicking around with the odd ding or scratch but, again, if you came across one of those in a store you'd get an ex demo discount on it.

In fact one guy told me he was going to buy serving at the show because it was 20% off (kind of a 'we pay the VAT deal) and i'd actually seen exactly the same bass for less, including delivery, online :)

However - what you do get is a massive room full of different basses so you can touch and feel them and be able to compare prices of many more instruments than you'd ever get in a day's worth of shopping around. Unfortunately the noise levels mean you can't really here them properly but you can get a really good feel for playability.

So - my, long winded, summary is - go because you can get to see a huge variety of basses but not because you think you'll get a huge bargain :)

[quote name='molan' post='1161661' date='Mar 14 2011, 02:43 PM']I think the days of shows being places to go for bargains have been changed by the combination of the Internet and, to a lesser extent, a recessionary economy.

It used to be that retailers put everything up for sale at full list price and then might chuck in a strap, case, strings etc or a small discount to sweeten any potential sale.

Nowadays a lot of potential buyers have thoroughly checked the lowest possible price across the web (often from overseas or people who don't actually have any stock) and walk through the door of a retailer with a fixed price in mind.

Consequently those retailer margins are squeezed and it's much easier to get a discount in store (or online) by being well prepared. Retailers may still put list prices on ads but everyone knows they will deal on a lot of stock unless it's very rare or they have an exclusive distribution deal.

When you look at a show then the dealers have got anywhere from £500 to £1,500 extra costs to run a stand (not sure how many people noticed how dark some of the stands were? Reason being you'd have to pay about £400 to hire the house supplied spot lights for 2 days!).

The dealers will all try to re-coup as much of this as possible by knockin out low ticket items like strings, tuners, shirts etc but there's not a huge amount to be gained from selling their core stock of basses at below their regular shop discount prices.

Some people will be happier to haggle more towards the end of the last day just because it saves a bit of loading etc and there's always the odd 'show' bass kicking around with the odd ding or scratch but, again, if you came across one of those in a store you'd get an ex demo discount on it.

In fact one guy told me he was going to buy serving at the show because it was 20% off (kind of a 'we pay the VAT deal) and i'd actually seen exactly the same bass for less, including delivery, online :)

However - what you do get is a massive room full of different basses so you can touch and feel them and be able to compare prices of many more instruments than you'd ever get in a day's worth of shopping around. Unfortunately the noise levels mean you can't really here them properly but you can get a really good feel for playability.

So - my, long winded, summary is - go because you can get to see a huge variety of basses but not because you think you'll get a huge bargain :)[/quote]

+1000

Great replies, just what I wanted to know.

Obviously the costs coming down from Glasgow are far more than those who live even a few hours drive away.

( The Ritz is bloody expensive these days, and two evenings eating at the Ivy aint cheap neither. )

In summary, lots of lush gear to try, but don't expect either ideal test conditions or best prices.

Thangyouverymuch,
S

Although the bargains may not be there (at least not compared to 'shop' prices) it's still a really good day out.

For a lot of people just getting to try and feel some of the stuff there is worth the trip.

I'm not just talking about rare exotica here too. One person I spoke to had just tried out a Vintage fretless and was raving about it, something he'd probably have walked straight past in a shop.

[quote name='molan' post='1161806' date='Mar 14 2011, 02:26 PM']I'm not just talking about rare exotica here too. One person I spoke to had just tried out a Vintage fretless and was raving about it, something he'd probably have walked straight past in a shop.[/quote]

As I said, I tried out a Stingray after years of deciding I didn't care for them. Could go to almost any good bass shop and do the same, but in the last decade I've not done so. Now I think I may be GASing.

I saw it as an opportunity to see everything in one place, chat with other players and see what was new. It was certainly not the place to get an idea if you want to buy something expensive.

I tried a few things out (Overwaters, Orange amps, new Yamaha BBs, a Ray34) but not loads. I think in hindsight I wish i'd tried out one of the Foderas on Bass Gear stand simply because it was a rare opportunity to do so.

But, if anything, the show made me more content with the gear I already have. Doesn't stop me wanting more though I suppose ! That blue Bongo 6 HH...mmm.

[quote name='Machines' post='1161832' date='Mar 14 2011, 02:53 PM']That blue Bongo 6 HH...mmm.[/quote]

Oh yes, everybody I seemed to speak to mentioned that particular Bongo! Looked stunning in that colour with the pearl scratchplate. Lovely :)

I didn't go, I considered it but just saw it as a massive waste of money. When i've been to shows in the past it's been too loud to appresiate any thing and I find the traders don't have alot of time for you. I'm looking at new basses at the moment but i'd rather spend the petrol money going to bass direct or the gallery knowing i've got time and low volumes to check stuff out.

People who know me will find it difficult to believe that I didn't buy anything!!! :) :) :lol:

Some negative feedback here for what I thought, in general, was a good show..aimed at Bass players rather than just a tag on to a guitar show..I think we should be thankful for that if nothing else!!

Also some negative feedback towards the "slapfest" - I found that as much noise was being made by plectrum players as by the slappers - but then I went on Sunday which by all accounts was "less bad"..Mr Clutterbus being the worst offender for slapping but he was, ironically, being paid to do so..seems stall holders were reluctant to rein him in...I thought the standard of the slap was pretty high anyway..

As for bargains - the Overwater/Tanglewood basses looked and felt like excellent value for money - £600 for the bass I tried - sorry can't remember the model(Classic J??)..My only concern would be resale prices and whether these, as "entry models", will be regarded in the same vein as Fender Squiers in years to come.

One of my companions tried an EBS combo which would have cost him £210 rather than £299 - unfortunately him testing coincided with the foghorn being sounded for the quiet time..can't really test an amp under those conditions..

Somebody had dropped and scratched a bass which resulted in a £200 reduction - could you live with a scratch knowing you'd saved £200?? The new owner clearly could!! How much is a can of body filler nowadays anyway??

I bumped into Nick (Doctor of the Bass) - former owner of my fretless VC - hadn't spoken to him for a while - nice to see him again..

The stuff I didn't pay for..this months Bass Guitar magazine and several EB stickers..45 mins watching TM Stevens beat up on a Warwick bass with the house band..Stu Hamm's masterclass...

Biggest bargain must have been the ticket - am I going again next year?? Try stop me!!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1162249' date='Mar 14 2011, 07:57 PM']Have you tried them yet?[/quote]
I wrote some comments on your thread Dave - you mean you didn't read my pearls of wisdom? :) Edit: here you go [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126139&pid=1159746&st=0&#entry1159746"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1159746[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1161423' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:39 AM']Two sets of strings - a cheap-ish set of DR Sunbeams and a non-discounted set of the new D'Addario black nylon tapewounds (as I hadn't seen them before). Thats it!

Would have been difficult to buy a bass there (at least on the Saturday) as the slapfest din was so deafening it was all but impossible to test drive a bass properly[/quote]

The D'addario black nylon tapewounds are great strings but just a word of caution; I had them on my jazz bass for a while, and because they're a pretty hefty gauge they wore the grooves in the nut bigger. When I went back to regular strings my A string was rattling about like buggery in the groove and I had to get a new nut (although I did just play with some card packed underneath it for a couple of years!).

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1162280' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:09 PM']The D'addario black nylon tapewounds are great strings but just a word of caution; I had them on my jazz bass for a while, [b]and because they're a pretty hefty gauge[/b] they wore the grooves in the nut bigger. When I went back to regular strings my A string was rattling about like buggery in the groove and I had to get a new nut (although I did just play with some card packed underneath it for a couple of years!).[/quote]
They are only medium gauge?

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1162280' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:09 PM']The D'addario black nylon tapewounds are great strings but just a word of caution; I had them on my jazz bass for a while, and because they're a pretty hefty gauge they wore the grooves in the nut bigger. When I went back to regular strings my A string was rattling about like buggery in the groove and I had to get a new nut (although I did just play with some card packed underneath it for a couple of years!).[/quote]
I don't think you mean D'Addario's. They are only just launched. And they are 'normal' gauges (50-105). I suspect you mean Roto Tru Bass which are great thick black caterpillars of strings

Edited by Clarky