Why become a member? ×

London Bass Show - who bought what ??

bassbluestew

[quote name='Clarky' post='1162294' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:16 PM']I don't think you mean D'Addario's. They are only just launched. And they are 'normal' gauges (50-105). I suspect you mean Roto Tru Bass which are great thick black caterpillars of strings[/quote]

My bad!

Yeah you're right thinking about it, it was the Roto's. I've had the GHS ones in the past too and they were good. Black nylon tapewounds sound awesome on fretless! Anyway........... sorry ;-)

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1162207' date='Mar 14 2011, 07:35 PM']Somebody had dropped and scratched a bass which resulted in a £200 reduction - could you live with a scratch knowing you'd saved £200?? The new owner clearly could!! How much is a can of body filler nowadays anyway??[/quote]

I think that was the only time on the Saturday there was actually some quiet, it went down with a real crash haha. It was one of the new Tanglewaters IIRC. I would've been very tempted myself if I'd realised it'd been knocked down so much in price. I did look it over after it had been sold and couldn't see anything (though I didn't pick it up so I guess it was near the back strap button). Someone definitely got a bargain there.

On the strength of what I saw at the show, I'll be getting a new GK rig. I spent most of the two days fiddling about with the MB heads (I love my job haha) and I'm so impressed there's definitely going to be one on it's way (more in a post on the amp forum about it).

I very nearly came home with a Tanglewater, there weren't any there that I found especially good looking though and though they felt solid, they didn't blow me away like I was hoping. I directly A/Bd one to a proper Overwater and (although the proper ones I tried were very flash) they definitely held their own. I don't know if a good setup could've made the difference but it just didn't quite feel as smooth.

Just strings and a BGM renewal. I would've liked to have tried a couple of small cabs and the Ibanez Promethean combo, but it would've been an exercise in futility soundwise. However, I went to The Gallery yesterday and bought a Phil Jones Cub. Sheldon Dingwall was there too.

I bought a couple of leather straps at £14 each and a BGM subscription, on the day, but more than that... I fell in love with the Roscoe fretless 4 (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=114899&view=findpost&p=1161034) and have just taken the plunge on the phone to Mark at BD. Look out for some retrospective fundraising in the marketplace. (Is there a section for mothers?)

I guess I was lucky in that I went on Sunday and got to hear it!

It comes with rounds, so I expect my next purchase will be some more flats, even though the diamondwood board can apparently bear up to rounds... cue perennial "which flat" discussion... I currently have basses with TI Flats and Fender 9050, so I guess it's time to try the D'Addario Chromes...

[quote name='cetera' post='1161528' date='Mar 14 2011, 11:01 AM']I bought a 'deep fill chicken sandwich', an Aero and a Liptons Iced Tea (Lemon) from the Tesco Metro over the road from the venue...

The Aero was a bargain at only 75p! :)[/quote]

Err.. LIKE! This isn't facebook is it?