Why become a member? ×

Gigging your best bass....

Evil Undead

Weird question I know, but this is something that has been causing minor trouble to my brain for a while.

I have 3 basses and my favourite by far is my Warwick $$. But I like it too much to gig with it, which is silly as it's the best looking, playing, sounding... Well, you name it.

So I bought a kramer for £100 from a pawn shop just to use as a beater for gigs. But it's not the same :)

The Warwick is insured of course, as is all my gear, but I can't stand the thought of it being stolen, broken, molested by some teenager from another band etc. It's the only material possession of mine that I just couldn't be without.

Has anyone else every felt too protective of their favourite gear to gig with it, or am I just being paranoid?

Edited by Evil Undead

I dont think your the only one who has and does feel like this. I used to be seriously over protective of gear and to an extent I still am. I hate other people playing my bass and i watch it like a hawk when I set up for a gig.

I think you have done the right thing and got your gear insured, that is the best safety net you can have. When taking my best bass out I just thought "what is the worst that can happen" if it gets stolen or broken insurance wil pay for a new one, yes I would be gutted but it can be resolved andI get a new bass. Warwicks are still being made as are my basses so it is not as if you would never find one again, not like losing a 69 Jazz or something.

Enjoy your bass, that is what it is there for, get a good lockable case if you dont have one and keep it in that at gigs right up until you play, there is less chance of someone wondering up and fiddling with it.

I would think the Kramer was worth more right now :) Seriously though I try not to worry but at the same time im very aware of where it is and what it is when people want to jump around to much! If I know it will get messy the pre EB stays at home as NJE says that's not made anymore so insurance would only be a financial saviour. The only pre EB Ray for sale in the uk right now is a dog on eBay with no original parts! That said if I never used it live I wouldn't keep it and the value of things changes over the years, when I was a teenager my £300 Ibanez was everything I had to my name where now that's a few tanks of diesel! :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1158974' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:40 AM']If youre not going to gig it,whats the point of having it ?[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I don't own any music gear that I wouldn't be happy to gig with.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1158946' date='Mar 12 2011, 07:53 AM']Has anyone else every felt too protective of their favourite gear to gig with it, or am I just being paranoid?[/quote]

I wouldn't say you are paranoid, because accidents can happen, but I would question the true value of an instrument that you never use in anger.

Are you a bass player or a bass collector?

Jennifer

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1158946' date='Mar 12 2011, 07:53 AM']Weird question I know, but this is something that has been causing minor trouble to my brain for a while.

I have 3 basses and my favourite by far is my Warwick $$. But I like it too much to gig with it, which is silly as it's the best looking, playing, sounding... Well, you name it.

So I bought a kramer for £90 from a pawn shop just to use as a beater for gigs. But it's not the same :)

The Warwick is insured of course, as is all my gear, but I can't stand the thought of it being stolen, broken, molested by some teenager from another band etc. It's the only material possession of mine that I just couldn't be without.

Has anyone else every felt too protective of their favourite gear to gig with it, or am I just being paranoid?[/quote]

You need to get a hammer and put a couple of nice dents in your bass. You'll be heartbroken for a couple of days, but then you'll forget about the damage and get on with the job of playing it. My main bass is my pride and joy, but it's been dropped, knocked over by clumsy ar*eholes and dragged across several continents in a gig bag.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. I guess my problem is that I'm pretty skint (always!) and could do with selling off the other two and just keeping this one bass.

And I totally agree with the people who say what's the point in having it if I don't use it. That's why I nearly sold it a month or so ago, but just couldn't bring myself to part with it.

Insurance, for me anyway, is purely for financial protection... as if anything happened to this bass and I bought an identical one with the payout, it wouldn't be the same... wouldn't have my dings, wear, sweat, soul etc. I'm very attached to this instrument.

I guess I'm just paranoid because I only play bar gigs in a fairly rough city :)

My basses would be very hard to replace but I bought them as the best tools for the job so I'll use them.
I take as much care of them as poss, but dings are part and parcel over any period of time and I can always get
a refinish if need be.

They look great and play great, IMO but the whole point is to use them so I do.

The one bass that I don't use will be sold.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='1159033' date='Mar 12 2011, 09:53 AM']You need to get a hammer and put a couple of nice dents in your bass. You'll be heartbroken for a couple of days, but then you'll forget about the damage and get on with the job of playing it. My main bass is my pride and joy, but it's been dropped, knocked over by clumsy ar*eholes and dragged across several continents in a gig bag.[/quote]

-1 on the above. why if you dont want anything to happen to your bass would you do that.

Anyway

You should gig your bass, there aint no point in having it if its gonna just sit in the house. I HATE the idea of my gear getting damaged, but it wouldnt stop me using any of it. I would just be more aware of its surroundings and have a wee eye on it at all times.

Im insured with all my gear through my home content policy so I know I could get the dosh back, but believe me, I wouldnt want to go down that route at any point.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1158946' date='Mar 12 2011, 07:53 AM']Weird question I know, but this is something that has been causing minor trouble to my brain for a while.

So I bought a kramer for £90 from a pawn shop just to use as a beater for gigs. But it's not the same :)

Has anyone else every felt too protective of their favourite gear to gig with it, or am I just being paranoid?[/quote]

I gig my favourite bass... because it's my favourite. That means it's the one I feel most comfortable with, the one I feel sounds best, etc. When I gig, I do it above anything else because I enjoy it... why would I tone down the experience by playing something that I feel is not the best i can use in the circumstances?

I do understand being worried about it... things can happen. But I play in bands where we all understand we care about our instruments as much as about our music, as they're the tools that allw us to be there. That means I don't have one pair of eyes, but 4-6 pairs, depending on the band. At a gig, when I'm not playing it, it stays safely in a stand away from people. If that's not practical, I put it back in a case. I prefer to use a gigbag for convenience but I would take my hard case if I'm not sure what the situation would be like.
I don't give my bass for other people to use. Unless it's a friend who is doing a guest spot or something. I sometimes share my amplification, but not the bass.

So, in short: it seems a pity not to use the best instrument you have. But you do have to keep an eye on it and not leave it unattended, not lend it to someone you don't trust or you don't want to lend it to, etc. If you're somehow pressured into leaving your bass unattended, of lending it to others... I suggest you reconsider your position, and/or maybe who you hang with. Whether I spend £1000 or £100 in an instrument... I spent my money. I want to enjoy it and I will not buy into the "not care" attitude some (mostly very young) people have, because they tend to not care simply because it's not their gear, and when it's their gear they did not have to save money to buy it.

Play your Warwick!!! :)

I had a Warwick Corvette $$ and was my best sounding bass for a while. But I gigged it little as I just didn't get along with that neck. Pity, because it sounded great. Massive. If you like it more than the others... what a pity to leave it at home.

Where are you guys playing where people use each others instruments, i had 2 bands use my bass amp lastnight because the venue didnt supply one. it was tragic watching someone get all confused at a mute button, and one guy tried to play, without plugging the amp into the mains....

the mind boggles.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1159293' date='Mar 12 2011, 02:00 PM']Instruments get dinged-it happens.
I bought my Shuker on a Thursday,and on the Friday I twatted the headstock on my microphone. I was gutted for about 3 seconds.[/quote]

Heh... last summer I bought a mint condition natural Stingray (the one on my avatar). It was lovely, not a mark on it.
On my first or second gig with it I was on the left of the stage, a very crowded stage, with a rough brick wall next to me. At one point I smacked it hard with the tip of the headstock. I'm glad I was playing so I could not stop to look at it an just kept going. The stomach turned heavy, but a minute later it was forgotten. The dent is there, ah well. I'd rather it weren't but at least *I* did it and how long can you be angry at yourself? :)

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1159321' date='Mar 12 2011, 02:16 PM']Where are you guys playing where people use each others instruments, i had 2 bands use my bass amp lastnight because the venue didnt supply one. it was tragic watching someone get all confused at a mute button, and one guy tried to play, without plugging the amp into the mains....

the mind boggles.[/quote]

Other people don't use my stuff.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1158974' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:40 AM']If youre not going to gig it,whats the point of having it ?[/quote]

hmm.. :) ...

Anyway. My most coveted possesion is also my bass. I made the descision quite early on though that i wasn't going to shy it away or be protective of it. I let strangers in other bands play it for their set. I play it in rowdy pubs where large drunkards are constantly falling into you etc etc. But as a result it does have battle scars and even a crack in the quilt maple top above the control cavity. So i can totally sympathise with why someone would want to leave their pride and joy at home.

If you would prefer your bass to stay in tip top condition, and wouldn't be able to enjoy a gig as much if you were constantly worry about your bass. Then leaving it at home is a no-brainer.

Just because it doesn't make sense to someone else doesn't mean you should have anything to feel guilty about. It's your bass, your choice! :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1159368' date='Mar 12 2011, 02:57 PM']I'm not really worried about it staying in perfect nick, don't mind a few dings here and there as it add character. More concerned about a broken neck/headstock, something like that. Or it being stolen or having a drink spilled on it :lol:[/quote]

If you play gigs with no stages (ie, pubs), then the drink thing is a possibility, but easily avoided if you follow some tips in this thread (ie, use the guitarist as a shield! :) ). All the rest would be VERY unlikely unless you were particularly careless. Keeping it in it's case when not soundchecking/playing and saying 'sorry, i'm a bit protective of my bass' to greasy teenagers should ensure a safe and happy gig with the bass :)