Why become a member? ×

Never Much Comment on BC Members Clips

xilddx

[quote name='Moos3h' post='1156905' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:09 PM']My problem with it all is that I don't care.

Sorry, but that's how it is! You CAN play bass really well? Great, good for you. You suck? Well, that's just bad luck, play some more and you'll get better.[/quote]

That's pretty much it for me too.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1156928' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:22 PM']I have never been in that section of the site and even if I did, I don`t think that I am in any way qualified to comment on another players abilites or lack of.

That`s my excuse anyway :)

Jez[/quote]
Mostly people want opinions on the ARTISTIC properties of their music, or their tone. It's rare someone asks for a critique of their technique. Music is art and we are all qualified to comment on something in our own ways, eg. what the music says to you. The more technical of us may wish to comment on the technical aspects, or the mix.

I bet you have opinions on all sorts of things.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1156894' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:04 PM']When people (not just musicians) ask, "What do you think?". They generally want positive comments. Anything negative is often not taken too kindly, which makes it kinda pointless.
It's also difficult to know how much credence can be given to a comment when we don't know the credentials, tastes, ability etc of the commenter.[/quote]
Pretty much this really...!

I remember someone putting up a clip (the OP actually) that was not what I would normally listen to but quite interesting - however, I found the singer's voice rather annoying!

If I had commented to that effect I am sure that silddx would have defensive about his singer (I know that I would have been) and I am sure that many people would think that her delivery is just fine. It’s just my opinion and what do I know??

I may well put some band stuff up at some point, but if I do it will be to share with people here in the hope that they enjoy it. If they do and feel like make favourable comments, then I am sure it will make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But if you don’t happen to like it please feel free to keep your opinions to yourself!

Don’t get me wrong, I will seek out critical comment from people I know and whose opinion I trust and who have an understanding of the type of music we’re playing, but anyone I don’t know – I hope you like it but if you don’t, go and listen to something else!

Edited by peteb

Well, it seems to me that unless it has a humorous slant, posting up clips for comment is a waste of time from reading this thread. Not many positive vibes are there.

I remember Duarte posting for comment some songs his band had written for children, they were f***ing ace, and I wanted a CD, but I don't anything ever came of it.

[quote name='silddx' post='1157110' date='Mar 10 2011, 07:59 PM']Well, it seems to me that unless it has a humorous slant, posting up clips for comment is a waste of time from reading this thread. Not many positive vibes are there.

I remember Duarte posting for comment some songs his band had written for children, they were f***ing ace, and I wanted a CD, but I don't anything ever came of it.[/quote]

I didn't even know that section of the forum existed.

I do now. Thanks.

[quote name='silddx' post='1156790' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:19 PM']You always get this on here! People yapping about gear and tone and technique and Mark King vs Flea, Jaco's God, etc. all day, but if you post a clip or a video, you get one comment per 20 downloads or views.

I think we have to accept that most people don't really know how to describe music at all, despite them rabidly describing everything else under the sun, slagging off Phil Collins and Alain Caron and whathaveyer. As soon they are asked for a REAL critique of someone closer to home they suddenly bugger off, at a loss for words and opinion, or uninterested. Funny that.

I find it sad. A forum for musicians and hardly anyone bothers to comment on the actual MUSIC people bother to record and post up here asking for opinion.[/quote]

Guilty as charged in scrolling past the "Recording" section. It's rare that I look in there apart once in a while at the "technique" sub-forum. I always assumed it was about recording techniques and the like. As I'm not thinking of recording anything I usually pass by. If I'd seem some standout word like "Audacity" in the last-post box, then I might drop in.

I find myself agreeing with LowEndBee and purpleblob on the first page. For example, I looked up "urb's" recordings a couple of months ago, but found the musical content to be on another planet as far as I was concerned. So I couldn't possibly comment. Similarly, I looked at Clarky's new video - mmm? Well, a bit odd/weird. Could have done with the bass higher in the mix. Again, musically not my cup of tea, but hey, this stuff is out there. I wouldn't want to comment because my words would have been prejudiced by my feelings about the music.

However, if it's something subjective such as tone or a sound comparison, then I will often respond, such as to your recent Jap Jazz soundclip in the General section.

Balcro.

[quote name='TimR' post='1157112' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:00 PM']I didn't even know that section of the forum existed.

I do now. Thanks.[/quote]
Weird that isn't it. I just went into the groove library for the first time, and it's potentially very useful but not a lot of interest after three years, it just snails along.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12311"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12311[/url]

Edited by silddx

Another thing people do is post stuff in the other high profile forums to get some more attention, I assume, and they never get moved to the recording forum. I remember a discussion about recording and LiamPodmore posted a link to some of his band's stuff. It was poorly recorded but I loved one of the tracks, it had some laughing in it, and I really loved it. Been trying to find it but I can't and myspace won't work for me at the moment.

I'd only want someone to comment on a recording that i'd posted if they felt they really wanted to and not because they feel obliged. Positive or negative I don't care but don't feel obliged to review my stuff if you have no real opinion you'd like to share.

I found silddx's thread about his East pre really interesting as I'm keen on getting one and appreciate the info and sound clips to boot. I didn't really feel the idea of the thread was to comment of the technique tho but all sounded good to me.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1156855' date='Mar 10 2011, 04:46 PM']I claim back the title of BCs worst bassist :) :lol:[/quote]

I would like to challenge you on that.

(see my post [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124956"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124956[/url] )

And a big thanks to all who commented!

:)

I think silddx has actually inspired people to go ahead and check out the Recordings forum a bit more. I looked at the topic mentioned in the OP and to be honest I'm not fantastic at feedback when it comes to music so I decided to listen but not give my input. Thinking about it, if I were to post something up here I would want comments, so I think I'll try to change the error of my ways :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1157194' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:57 PM']I would like to challenge you on that.

(see my post [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124956"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124956[/url] )

And a big thanks to all who commented!

:)[/quote]

Maybe I'll post something myself, and beat you all to the title! :)

Me? Only one of the following is true. Can [b]you[/b] guess which?

* Terror of confrontation
* Fear of upsetting someone
* British 'reserve'
* Subconscious desire to stifle debate and inhibit the smooth functioning of our community
* Idleness

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1157713' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:50 AM']I think it's important to recognise that these threads are getting views and downloads, even if they're not getting comments.[/quote]
Perhaps. But this is a discussion forum, not a newspaper.

Music is art. To some of us the art is only in the performance, To some of us the art is in the creation. Either way if you can't take criticism, wanted or unwanted, then you are in the wrong arena.

I'll comment on anything but will try to self censor my comments as much as possible and be aware of any negative impact my comments may have on people. I don't like getting punched in the face and it hasn't happened yet. However it is up to the artist to listen to critique and decide whether it applies to them or not and it's up to them to ignore it or act on it as they see fit.

I may well criticise a song purely because I don't like it but I will say why I don't like it. It is up to the artist to decide whether my reason for not liking it is valid. On occasions I have said something to a musician about a tune they have played and seen them understand and their expression change, they've gone away changed the song and come back and seen an improved audience reaction. Its up to us as artists to constantly challenge what we do to improve ourselves.

It's a human thing but the British are worst at it. Rather than say we don't like it or why we don't like it, we just don't come back and listen to it again and the artist never knows why.

Edited by TimR

IMO the best thing you can do if you like someone's music is to vote with your wallet.

If I hear a band I like on here then if I can I'll go and see them live (not always easy when we're spread around the world - but if someone in London wants to put on a Rattlin' Bone/Kit Richardson/Jetsonics gig I'll be down there like a shot) or if they have a CD/Record out I'll be buying that.

For me it's all about the song so the solo bass stuff does nothing for me. Instrumental technique on it own is of little interest - I want to hear composition and that's entirely subjective. Either I like it or I don't.

And sound clips demoing instruments and equipment... All they tell you is what that particular play sounds like playing that particular instrument through that particular rig recorded with that particular mic/interface. Me playing another example of the same instrument will be completely different and that's before you take into account the audio mangling that MP3 conversion has done.

Personally if im left un moved by something i would rather keep my mouth shut rather than post something negative, and im not going to post "wow, great playing" just for the sake of it.

I never (or hardly ever) bother with all these video's of people playing along, almost note for note to CD tracks. To be honest i've never really seen the point of them (no offence meant to anyone).

[quote name='Johnston' post='1157977' date='Mar 11 2011, 12:53 PM']Personally I done some and was looking to try and video as well for an Audio/Visual reference to my playing and technique to see what and were it could be improved. What you hear whilst playing and on playback can be two different things.

I did have the intent to make everything public for pointers/public humiliation. After all there are far more knowledgeable people here.[/quote]

I guess i should have written i dont see the point of people posting them rather just recording them.

I can understand if its for your own reference and agree with you. We record all our gigs for the same reason.

Im not saying im against anyone uploading them for all to see, only that these type of videos don't interest me so i doubt i would comment on (m)any of them because i wouldn't bother watching them, even if they were posted in a thread i was participating in.

Edited by dave_bass5

If i have lost interest within a few bars,
Which is usually someone soloing over loops and been done a million times before over the last decade,
I am off out of the post.
If I listen all the way through, [meaning i like it] i will say something complementary...

What i find more odd - is someone taking the time to do a transcription [or a tab :) chord sheet etc]
Then have it downloaded dozens of times, and have just two or three people say 'thank you'
Unless there is wrong notes on the chart - Then just 'Bollox' would be fine.... :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown