Why become a member? ×

Versatile yet classic bass?

Beedster

My feeling is that if you really know a tone well, then the bass absolutely has to have the right pickup in the right spot to nail it for you.
'Ballpark' can be achieved with most 2-pup basses (my jazz does a fairly passable 'ray impression if I roll off the tone, solo the back pickup and play in the right place).

From what you say, the jazz tone is the one to sacrifice as the 'p' and to a lesser extent 'ray have to be right. Is the MM pickup position compatible with the P position? If so, I'd say get a roadworn/classic P routed for a MM pickup with switchable pre. If not, you have a problem and have to sacrifice one or the other.

I've been playing in function bands for many years with just my P-bass and it has covered [i]most [/i]things I've asked of it. However, there's always the odd number where you want a bit more growl or get down to low D.

I considered a Fender American Deluxe P or going down the 5-string route, but in the end I have acquired a Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz which has P and J PUPs (like the ADP), a thicker than usual J-neck, but is £500 cheaper than the ADP and has a Hipshot drop-D tuner.......does it all for me!

Edited by sussexbassman

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1151730' date='Mar 6 2011, 06:40 PM']My feeling is that if you really know a tone well, then the bass absolutely has to have the right pickup in the right spot to nail it for you.
'Ballpark' can be achieved with most 2-pup basses (my jazz does a fairly passable 'ray impression if I roll off the tone, solo the back pickup and play in the right place).

From what you say, the jazz tone is the one to sacrifice as the 'p' and to a lesser extent 'ray have to be right. Is the MM pickup position compatible with the P position? If so, I'd say get a roadworn/classic P routed for a MM pickup with switchable pre. If not, you have a problem and have to sacrifice one or the other.[/quote]

That will be the ou7shined Pingray then :) I think the P pup has to be pushed nearer the neck to keep the MM sweet spot? Calling Rich....

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1151736' date='Mar 6 2011, 06:43 PM']Has anyone suggested a Sue Ryder yet?[/quote]
or my Alleva-Coppolo which has a a B width neck and nails all the J, super J and P-alike sounds. Yours for £2850 or trade for your vintage P. Yes I know, wasn't really being serious :)

Surely a Musicman Stringray is the way to go? P-type neck, does funk, does rock, classic design, cheap as chips second hand right now ....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1151735' date='Mar 6 2011, 06:43 PM']That will be the ou7shined Pingray then :) I think the P pup has to be pushed nearer the neck to keep the MM sweet spot? Calling Rich....[/quote]:)

That's right Pete, the two pups occupy some of each other's space so the best solution (and to retain the most authenticity) is to reverse the P keeping the the E/A side in it's original spot. It actually seems a better solution to me (scientifically as well as tonally) as you can ping a nice harmonic over each pole piece in the reversed P but it is discordant over the D/G part in the original position.

The result is quite literally 2 distinct basses in one.

This is the reasining behind why I suggested the Sandberg earlier (to get the 2 bass tones from one bass)... although their emphasis seems to have been with keeping the P in the original position and placing the MM pup where it looks nice. :lol:

Edited by Ou7shined

+1 for G&L. It's my "Get out of jail free" Bass.
Normally carried as a back-up, but if the room acoustics are bad, I can always rely on it to get a great sound the really cuts through.
You don't need the US ones either. Having played and owned both, there is so little difference it isn't worth it IMHO.
I've had 3 of them. Regretted selling the first and the 2nd went when I got my ultimate combination of Blueburst with Maple FB.
The neck is very P-Bass like as well.

Chris,

I found that the HS Bongo I had seemed to tick all the boxes you asked about tonally. The single coil in the neck position was really quite "woody" (how I describe a nice P tone!) so my vote would be for a stingray HS - If it was woody on the bongo I imagine it to be woodier on the ray! :)

Another vote for G & L. It`s the most versatile bass, imo of course, with enough sound permitations to confuse a monk fish! And even though mine is a Tribute model, the build quality and finish is top notch.

The perfect bass for the busy semi pro in a function band.

Jez

Definately G&L.

The tributes are amazing. The build is amazing and you cant beat those MFD pickups.

If you can afford it I would go for a USA G&L ASAT bass. Sturdy, versatile and incredible quality. Stick a set of TI flats on it and its perfection IMHO :)

Deaks

It's hard to beat a precision, it just does what it says on the box, but damn well.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1151603' date='Mar 6 2011, 04:30 PM']Yes, they have: [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/search.php?partno=0194070700"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/searc...rtno=0194070700[/url]

Chris, the Decade is versatile but perhaps not in the way you require as it's also somewhat idiosyncratic. Also, the Decade also has a definitely Jazz type neck. However, if you can't get your hands on one around Canterbury and you fancy a trip to Brighton to test one out you'd be welcome.[/quote]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1151769' date='Mar 6 2011, 07:02 PM']:)

That's right Pete, the two pups occupy some of each other's space so the best solution (and to retain the most authenticity) is to reverse the P keeping the the E/A side in it's original spot. It actually seems a better solution to me (scientifically as well as tonally) as you can ping a nice harmonic over each pole piece in the reversed P but it is discordant over the D/G part in the original position.

The result is quite literally 2 distinct basses in one.

This is the reasining behind why I suggested the Sandberg earlier (to get the 2 bass tones from one bass)... although their emphasis seems to have been with keeping the P in the original position and placing the MM pup where it looks nice. :)[/quote]
Cracking bass that Pingray, tempted to do my unused P at a later date!

Thanks very much guys. Just to clarify, I love my Precision as it is, but there's no way that I'll be able to play some of the parts I need to play on heavy flats, and I want to keep that bass as it is. Also, even if I could change that bass, I'd need a backup, and I don't see the point of two identical basses. G&L are clearly worthy of attention (especially the ASAT), as are Lakland, but having spent most of this afternoon looking around, an HH Stingray with rosewood board is still calling....

[quote name='Beedster' post='1152092' date='Mar 7 2011, 12:20 AM']Thanks very much guys. Just to clarify, I love my Precision as it is, but there's no way that I'll be able to play some of the parts I need to play on heavy flats, and I want to keep that bass as it is. Also, even if I could change that bass, I'd need a backup, and I don't see the point of two identical basses. G&L are clearly worthy of attention (especially the ASAT), as are Lakland, but having spent most of this afternoon looking around, an HH Stingray with rosewood board is still calling....[/quote]

This is exactly why I started the flats for everything thread, as I love the songs we play that work with a flat strung P, but I need to also play duran duran, whitney Houston etc etc in the same set

Great thread, hope you find something Chris

I've been using my jazz lately, but I miss the real P tone, and prefer the P neck

If you are keen on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105178"] StingRays[/url], I recommend you a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105598"][b]StingRay Classic[/b][/url]. I have been a JB player for more then 2 decades but I can stop playing my StingRay Classic – fantastic bass.

[b]Status S2[/b]. Very flexible, well balanced and with the graphite neck the bass doesn't need setup adjustments if you play in a dry or high-humidity environment.

[b]Status Streamline[/b]. As above but ultra-light. The balance is not as good as the S2 but with a strap it is more than ok.

[b]Fender Jazz[/b]. It is an industry standard suitable for la genres. I think the problem with JB is that they sound all different and finding one that sounds good can take a while.

[b]Sadowsky[/b]. They aren’t my favourite basses but some models sound very good. A PJ might be the right ticket for you.

Another +1 for a G&L L-2000. I have a Tribute L-2000 - it's my only "sensible" bass and despite owning some excellent weirdo Gibsons, if I only could keep one bass, it would be the G&L. The Tribute has a baseball bat for a neck too, which suits me :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1151539' date='Mar 6 2011, 03:39 PM']+1 on the G&L if not, a Jazz'll cover most things.[/quote]

That's exactly what I thought. In that order too.
My L2500 still amazes me. I want to do the single coil modification (changing the series/parallel switch so that I get series/parallel/single coil) which should make it pretty much unbeatable when it comes to versatility. It already does a very passable P-bass. It has a wide range of tones that you may not say "it's a P, it's a J" (I guess it sounds... L2000 :))... but they sound "classic" enough to fit into pretty much anything from 60-80s, and then some more.

Although a Stingray is what I'd probably go for, but I just *love* that bass. It's surprisingly versatile... and that's teh 1-pickup version. If you go for the 2 pickup...