Why become a member? ×

Versatile yet classic bass?

Beedster

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd close this. Having not spent much longer tahn around a month with the Stingray HH, and then having tried a Jazz and a heavily pimped Squier Jag P/J (lovely bass by the way), I'm now pretty much decided on my old Ric 4003 FL, which was recently repatriated from Wales courtesy of Greg (Shaggy), who did a great job or sourcing original Ric PUPs for it. I have to admit that, in relation to this thread, it would have been way down my initial list, but I and the band love it, and it just works for the music we're doing :)

Funny how things work out isn't it.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1261085' date='Jun 8 2011, 12:45 PM']Thought I'd close this. Having not spent much longer tahn around a month with the Stingray HH, and then having tried a Jazz and a heavily pimped Squier Jag P/J (lovely bass by the way), I'm now pretty much decided on my old Ric 4003 FL, which was recently repatriated from Wales courtesy of Greg (Shaggy), who did a great job or sourcing original Ric PUPs for it. I have to admit that, in relation to this thread, it would have been way down my initial list, but I and the band love it, and it just works for the music we're doing :)

Funny how things work out isn't it.[/quote]
Wow - that's an unexpected turn up for the books Chris!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1261125' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:07 PM']Wow - that's an unexpected turn up for the books Chris!![/quote]

Tell me about it mate! I guess you have to make up your own mind in these situations, and not be too heavily swayed by preconceptions. When I got the Ric back from Greg, it didn't occur to me that it would fit the bill for the band, I saw it playing a more occasional role on some old live cliches like Come Together and Whole Lotta Love, on both of which it really does the job. However, I never really used the VTC when I first had it, and blending the bridge PUP with VTC with the neck PUP provides some lovely tonal options, many of which are highly useable. I'm genuinely surprised as I'd had always seen Rics, like Precisions, as one trick ponies, but that is far from the case. It's also helped loads by playability and almost endless sustain.

I think what I've realised from this is that the 4003 is versatile in the same sense that the Stingray HH or Jazz, but that versatility only goes so far. That is, no matter how versatile they were, the 'ray still sounded essentially like a 'ray and the Jazz like a Jazz. The Ric has a range of tones, but likewise still sounds like a Ric no matter what setting, I think I just prefer that range of tones to those on the 'ray or the Jazz. Of course, this could all change :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1261733' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:10 PM']However, I never really used the VTC when I first had it, and blending the bridge PUP with VTC with the neck PUP provides some lovely tonal options, many of which are highly useable. I'm genuinely surprised as I'd had always seen Rics, like Precisions, as one trick ponies, but that is far from the case. It's also helped loads by playability and almost endless sustain.[/quote]

Since I got mine a couple of weeks back I have found my favourite setting to be everything on full with the VTC kicked in. There it is, the classic Rick sound.
It sounds particularly wonderful throught the Line6 R&B setting.

Apologies for slight thread derail :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1261085' date='Jun 8 2011, 12:45 PM']Thought I'd close this. Having not spent much longer tahn around a month with the Stingray HH, and then having tried a Jazz and a heavily pimped Squier Jag P/J (lovely bass by the way), I'm now pretty much decided on my old Ric 4003 FL, which was recently repatriated from Wales courtesy of Greg (Shaggy), who did a great job or sourcing original Ric PUPs for it. I have to admit that, in relation to this thread, it would have been way down my initial list, but I and the band love it, and it just works for the music we're doing :)

Funny how things work out isn't it.[/quote]

God damn, you're making me want it back! :)
Actually even for a Ric it's a pretty special bass.

How's the maple-board fretless P working out? I'm loving the '65 P; funny how the three P basses that finally sold me on Fenders you've also owned at some point.......

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1264191' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:49 PM']God damn, you're making me want it back! :)
Actually even for a Ric it's a pretty special bass.

How's the maple-board fretless P working out? I'm loving the '65 P; funny how the three P basses that finally sold me on Fenders you've also owned at some point.......[/quote]

Sorry mate, but that's also how I felt for about 18 months! Re the Fenders, whilst that could be construed as an indication that I have phenomenal taste in Fenders, it's more likely a function of my having owned most of the Precisions on this site at one time or another! Really glad you're liking the '65, I think that it's about as good a Precision as you'll get, and the perfect balance of mojo and function. Funny how the older wider necks seem to play so much faster than the more modern slimmer ones!

The maple Precision will unfortunately go unless I can find some money from somewhere! I didn't anticipate getting two such good, but similar fretless basses in one deal!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1264191' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:49 PM']God damn, you're making me want it back! :)
Actually even for a Ric it's a pretty special bass.[/quote]

I posted this on the other thread, but probably relevant here also

[quote name='Beedster' post='1263760' date='Jun 10 2011, 11:32 AM']Very interesting angle.

This is a really interesting thread guys, thanks for your contributions. As a guy who has been pretty much a Fender player all my life (or Fender derivatives e.g., MM or Fenderalikes e.g., Sadowsky), my recent reunion with my old fretless 4003, lovingly upgraded by Shaggy I should add, has been something of a revelation (see page 4 of [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125993&hl=)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125993&hl=)[/url]. My long-standing reluctance to play Rics was the result of several factors; their strong association with rock and metal (and my assumption that this was their forte), their reputation for being uncomfortable to play, for being clanky/rattly and tonally bland, and for being mechanically unreliable. I only bought my 4003 as it was both fretless and a project (I bought it as body/neck only and built it over a few months), and I thought it would be interesting on both counts. It has certainly undermined all of my preconceptions about Rics, especially now it has authentic Ric PUPs and bridge (it started out with SDs and a Hipshot). Firstly, it plays magnificently; the neck, which is WIDE, is however very fast. Secondly, OK, the bridge isn't state of the art in terms of function, but it does all that it needs to do on this bass, and I have to say, tonally I prefer it to the Hipshot. To be honest, I can't see how anyone could describe it as being any worse than the classic Fender BBOT. Thirdly - and this is the key - it is way more than a one-trick-pony tonally (hence I would guess Silverfoxnik's surprise to my post in the thread linked to above). It does everything from biting treble (not the sort of zingy treble I associate with Jazzes or 'rays, but a far more substantial treble tone), through powerful and articulate mids along the lines I'd guess of the classic McCartney and Foxton tone, through to deep, almost dub-like bass. I can also state without fear of contradiction that of all the basses I've played, none will get closer to sounding like a DB (to the point where I'm going to sell my Yamaha EUB). OK, for sure I'm a serious and intense honeymoon period with this bass at present, and things could change, but the Ric is currently sitting next to a late 70's maple board Precision fretless, and by comparison, on all counts, the Precision - which I love - seems so crude and limited (and remember, I've been a Precision player for years). And I have to say, the build quality is phenomenal, reallyl; the finish and feel of the instrument is something I've not come across before with a bass, and it is totally unique in my experience.

But you know, I think the thing that has most got to me about the Ric is just how much I enjoy playing it, we have gelled in a way I haven't gelled with a bass for years. And that's why I posted this thread; it just seemed odd that so many players have move from Ric to something else, and so few the other way around.[/quote]