Why become a member? ×

Possible New Project - Would this bass work?

Linus27

I was kind of sorted for basses with my MIA Precision, fretless Stingray and Jazz. However, an interesting project has come up that I feel non of my basses would suit. It's going to be fretted so thats just my Precision I have suitable but its a bit too punk, bright and clunky. The music is a bit Motown, Paul Weller, Carol King. Very acoustic so I think my Precision will just clunk too much. I think the tone I would be after is warm, smooth and full. Now before anyone say FLATS, may I stop you there and say, no way, I hate them. Ok, my initial thought would be a nice Jazz of some sort. However, I really don't want to spend much money as I don't have it. So, do you think one of those Fender 51 re-issue Precisions would do the job or is it going to be too bright and clunky still? I remember that chap from Oasis playing one and they had a sort of warm Weller/Beatles type tone. I get the impression that they might be quite retro and darker sounding rather than clunky punky sounding modern Precision.

Any thoughts or should I stick with a Jazz?

I think with the tone rolled all the way off volume at 80% or less bass up on amp, and play near the neckish/"infront" of the split coil and your P could do it!

I find the 51 P very mellow if played in the way above, more so than a split coil P but will be bright and "punkish" if you play it that way!

A Precision is a Precision!

I'd give it a go with your P at the moment

Edited by AttitudeCastle

Epiphone EBO, the one with just the one pickup right up the neck. I tried one and was blown away by the over the top depth of sound, almost sub sonic. Horses for courses, wasn't exactly my cuppa but I think it would be spot on with the project you've described.

[size=4][u][b][url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/Bass-Guitars/Bass-Guitars/sc1114/p6974.aspx"]Try this link[/url][/b][/u][/size]

Roll off the treble on the bass to maybe half, and adjust your amp accordingly. A p bass can do a lovely mellow sound! If that doesn't work maybe talk to wizard pickups?

Ofcourse if your looking to cure gas then bass 'x' has the best sound in genre 'n' :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1131705' date='Feb 17 2011, 11:36 PM']I think with the tone rolled all the way off volume at 80% or less bass up on amp, and play near the neckish/"infront" of the split coil and your P could do it!

I find the 51 P very mellow if played in the way above, more so than a split coil P but will be bright and "punkish" if you play it that way!

A Precision is a Precision!

I'd give it a go with your P at the moment[/quote]

Absolutely, plus wear in a set of Nickel rounds and don't change them for a (long) while, and it'll do the trick.. Definitely play up by the neck. Hell, my Status sounds like a fretted EUB if I do that carefully enough!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1131749' date='Feb 18 2011, 12:53 AM']www.specsavers.com :)[/quote]

Ooops :)
Although I do feel that you can't say "I've joined a motown/carol kaye type band and I hate flats"......

Thats like saying "I've entered for the formula one, is there a way I can do it without a fast car?" lol
Flats are great in certain situations, I remember I had them on an old 5 string years ago, for pop and rock....sound so nice and even!

Si

I realise its not what you want to hear, but you have the right bass for the job already!

A J bass, even at the front pup, will still grind a little if you have SS/Nickel strings.

I know what you mean about big fat warm tones. I love the bass sound the guy from Paul Weller uses. Fat, warm, but with enough articulation to hear his great runs.

I can see where you are coming from though. A P bass can sound very grindy and punk with a pick and the tone up. Especially with new strings.

My idea? How about the D'addario Chromes? Apparently they are a happy medium between flats and roundwound.

I never thought id see the day I use flats, but my P bass is strung with them, and its soooo smooth to play. It will still grind because they are quite fresh, but if you dont want it to, it wont.

Cut the treble, boost the low mids and bass. Mmmm

Don't worry mate, you know all this is a self-imposed justification for buying another bass you fancy :)

Otherwise you'd just turn the tone back and raise the action a little, buy a pre, or a graphic, or summat :)

I know, I've done it many times myself. "My band wants me to play only fretless, therefore I must buy a REALLY GOOD fretless!" Drool over the FS section night after night, scour ebay and the internet, dream, dream, dream ...

OK, it looks like I can't pull the wool over the eyes of you lot :)

Today I tried the Precision again and as suggested, rolled the tone off a little and the volume to 80%. It sounded good and to be honest would probably work fine. It still have some of that clank but it was better. However, I just can't get my head around my Olympic White Precision with black scratchplate playing this sort of music. I just think punk. I guess I could put the tort plate on which makes it look cream coloured and more retro but in my head its my punk bass that I have slung low and play with a pick :)

OK, so now I have confessed or shall I say, been found out, I may give it a go. However, I still like the idea of a 51 Precision for the retro look. I guess I got to get the gig first :lol:

As for flats, I just don't like the feel of them and the tone is just dull to my ears.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1131808' date='Feb 18 2011, 07:49 AM']Ooops :)
Although I do feel that you can't say "I've joined a motown/carol kaye type band and I hate flats"......

Thats like saying "I've entered for the formula one, is there a way I can do it without a fast car?" lol
Flats are great in certain situations, I remember I had them on an old 5 string years ago, for pop and rock....sound so nice and even!

Si[/quote]
I too completely agree with this. Obviously with your tone rolled back & the volume nudged back this too is acceptable & works too

Having had a 51 Reissue, I found that turning down the tone can produce a nice Motown-type sound.

Although I can also get those type of sounds with my regular Precisions, by doing the same, plus backing off of the bass and upping the mids on my amp a bit.

But nothing beats buying a new bass for the job - go for it.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1133316' date='Feb 19 2011, 12:56 PM']All the guys you mention played Precision basses, and all the music was created on Precision basses so I'm not really sure why you think that a Precision bass isn’t the right tool for the job!![/quote]

I think its because my Precision looks really punk and because its strung with Rotsound rounds, it sounds very clanky and punky. Sure I can dial out some of the tone and smooth it a bit but I kind of fancy a 51 if it can create the more mellow tone I am after. Plus it looks more retro.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1133487' date='Feb 19 2011, 03:41 PM']I think its because my Precision looks really punk and because its strung with Rotsound rounds, it sounds very clanky and punky. Sure I can dial out some of the tone and smooth it a bit but I kind of fancy a 51 if it can create the more mellow tone I am after. Plus it looks more retro.[/quote]

This is a TOTALLY obvious GAS binge!

1) Searching for a "sound" that you think a new bass can give you, despite already owning a bass perfect for said "sound" (minus the flats!) - CHECK

2) Solve this problem by creating an issue with the existing bass (I don't like flats and therefore I NEEEEEEEED a new bass.... honest!) - CHECK

3) On realising that using flats would be a wiser/cheaper move, you quickly create a new problem unrelated to the required "sound" to something completely unrelated/relevant to the band situation (It looks like a punk bass and although I COULD put a tort s/p on and it would be perfect, I still think of it as a punk bass and therefore I NEEEEEEEEEEEED a new bass.... honest!) - CHECK

4) Next you experience a GAS induced panic and purchase a new bass, then the GAS subsides and you realise that it doesn't really do a better job than the P could have, so it appears on basschat and you use the money to buy some flats and quickly realise the "sound" is there and you actually LIKE the sound of flats!

We've all been there mate! Do the right/sensible thing and save yourself the money and next time I'm GASsing out, please return the favour and tell me the same thing! PLEASEEEEE!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1132370' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:47 PM']Keep the Precision,buy Rotosounds,leave them on for a week,voila,dull lifeless flats type sound.[/quote]

+10000

Rotosounds , how can I say? have the lifespan of a mayfly (google it)
seriously, keep the P, it's the D'sBs

[quote name='Linus27' post='1132494' date='Feb 18 2011, 05:42 PM']OK, it looks like I can't pull the wool over the eyes of you lot :)

Today I tried the Precision again and as suggested, rolled the tone off a little and the volume to 80%. It sounded good and to be honest would probably work fine. It still have some of that clank but it was better. However, I just can't get my head around my Olympic White Precision with black scratchplate playing this sort of music. I just think punk. I guess I could put the tort plate on which makes it look cream coloured and more retro but in my head its my punk bass that I have slung low and play with a pick :lol:

OK, so now I have confessed or shall I say, been found out, I may give it a go. However, I still like the idea of a 51 Precision for the retro look. I guess I got to get the gig first :D

As for flats, I just don't like the feel of them and the tone is just dull to my ears.[/quote]

You *NEED* a new bass.
There's no way, at all, your existing basses will work properly for the sound you're after. You just need that 51 P-bass, I'm afraid.

(just doing you a favour, that's what we all need to hear when we want another bass... I hope you remember it and return the favour when I'm in the same position :P)

:)