Why become a member? ×

'You can't play it on your lap - it slips off!'

Weird War

um, wait a minute, it looks like the neck has been lengthened so the fingerboard goes up over 2 octaves or so - how did he do that?

is it just a block of maple glued on the end, and a new longer fingerboard put on ?

if that extra bit of maple isn't joined onto the neck, the neck would be prone to shifting without the pocket wall against it. Edited by SJA

[quote name='Hamster' post='129615' date='Jan 28 2008, 10:07 PM']The bass player in The Rutles used to have a bass just like that :)

Hamster[/quote]

Well he does live in "RUTLAND which is part of LEICESTERSHIRE" so perhaps it's the very one....
Actually, I like it. Unsure about what's happened to the neck though. Certainly seems to have been extended somehow. There's a point where too many mods might just render the bass pretty much a disaster waiting to happen?
Chris

There's no evidence of a truss-rod at the head so this will be a body end adjustment that's now hidden behind that neck extension. While it's a great idea I think the finished bass is one or two mods too far to get the maximum potential out od it.

Now as an idea for a custom bass designed with that neck and cutaway in the first place...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='129995' date='Jan 29 2008, 01:36 PM']There's no evidence of a truss-rod at the head so this will be a body end adjustment that's now hidden behind that neck extension. While it's a great idea I think the finished bass is one or two mods too far to get the maximum potential out od it.

Now as an idea for a custom bass designed with that neck and cutaway in the first place...[/quote]

Agreed, but I'd certainly have tried it out if he were within a few miles of where I live. You just never know.... :)
Chris