Why become a member? ×

Tenuous Claim To Fame

Thunderthumbs

Just off the top of my head

Keeping in mind here I work security for a big venue so I think I've got a little advantage hehe :rolleyes::

Work:
Where to begin haha... The most recent one for me was doing a super hand shake tango with the guitarist from Lamb of God mid set. He pulled away with a finger pop and strum :).
Walked Noel Gallagher to his dressing room amongst screaming fans (also one of the last ever Oasis shows)
Had a conversation with M Shadows from AX7 about Jim Carey and where the Monster tent was at Sonisphere
The Bring Me the Horizon Bassist fell on me mid set

Bands I've met playing with:
Check out my page :lol:

Random street meetings:
Pretty sure I was face to face with the blonde woman from 'how clean is your house'. But I'll never know! And for everyone who knows who Limmy is (Scottish comedian, check him on YouTube) (and no not lemmy), I walked past him the other day. He had his straight face on :| and then somebody honked at him and he was like 'WEEEY

Casual outings
Went out with Aaron Barrett from Reel Big Fish, Big D and the Kids Table and Sonic Boom Six
Smoked a fat one with Simon Neil from Biffy Clyro
Sang with the Ex Chiodos singer Craigery Owens

Not trying to story top anyone of course! I just think I've done allright for only recently turning 20!

Chris

I played at the 60th Birthday of Barry Hearn and among his guests was Chris Eubank, and Keith Arthur. Some other guys from pool were there too, but I'm foreign and don't recognize half of them.

Proper posh it was but we are rock n roll so I wear trainers and t-shirt. :)

Food was great by the way.

pitcure below with the Birthday boy.

Edited by davidmpires

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='128500' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:38 AM']Following on from the "Claim To Fame" thread, where the question was all about the most famous person you've played with....well I'm thinking more in the vein of standing next to someone famous in a shop sort of thing.

To start the ball rolling.....I was watching Big Country on YouTube and it reminded me......

I used to own an Aria SB900 whose previous owner was Tony Butler.[/quote]

Plux's best mate at Primary School was Tony Butler's nephew, met him a couple of times, and Tony too :)

Met Tom Baker too (he is the one true Doctor)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='128956' date='Jan 27 2008, 10:19 PM']My brother in law is Tom McRae, who they cry!

And I showed him his first guitar chords, bugger why is he so much better than me. Perhaps i should get a cut of them there copious royalties.[/quote]

Is Clive Jenner still playing with his band ?

[quote name='tauzero' post='132379' date='Feb 2 2008, 02:27 AM']When I did Robot Wars, he was just sat quietly behind the operator booths reading a paper until it was time to perform. I'd have rather liked to ask him about the Red Dwarf film (which was at the time allegedly being filmed in Australia) but I didn't.

Flippa Forrester was much more chatty, I got talking to her at Technogames - she wasn't one of the presenters on that series IIRC, she'd actually turned up out of interest.[/quote]

Spill the beans, what team on Robot Wars and Technogames?

(Scarily we still have every episode from series 2 onwards on tape somewhere....)

I sat behind Ray Dorsey (Mungo Jerry) on a flight from Milan many years ago. Coincidentally, I'd watched him on some Italian TV show the previous evening in my hotel.

At a Clapton concert at the Royal Albert hall in the late 80's a friend who was with us went off to the bar in the break between the support act and EC's set and bumped into Elizabeth Taylor - literally! Apparently she was flanked by two big guys dressed in DJs and while he was staring at one of them he walked into her. He hadn't noticed who it was until he apologised.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='772473' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:26 AM']I thought I'd posted this already, but it's not in the thread...

So as well as nearly being in a band with John Bonham's daughter, when I was 5 my best friend was Nicky Hallam, since better known as DJ The Head from the Stereo MCs. We only stopped being friend because our birthdays were either side of the September year divide and so when we went to Junior school he was in the year above me which at that age will kill a friendship dead. It was here that he met Rob Birch the singer. Also at the same school as me was Bruce Wooley who wrote "Video Killed The Radio Star", and Paul Brindley who played bass in The Sundays.

The strange thing is that while I was very active musically at school trying to get my fairly terrible band involved in every musical activity going, I don't remember any of the others doing anything musical at all except for Rob Birch who was the guitarist and singer in a punk band called The Blitz Kids.[/quote]

I can't think of anyone at school who did anything remotely musical. The best I can do from school is that one of our year is now the leader of the local district council, he always was an opinionated idiot.

Bloke I went to college with, I can only remember his first name it is Christopher, is something of an important bod at the Royal Opera House. Everyone used to take the mickey out of him at college, more fool them.

Once shared a lift with Michael Caine.. I didnt bother him with small-talk.

Met Rory Gallagher in the Mean Fiddler bar in London, just the two of us in the place at either end of the bar.
I couldnt resist wishing him well and saying how I loved his music, we shook hands :)

I happen to know a famous Irish drummer but enough about that except he's a pure gent.

Did a dep at a party at Queen drumbo Roger Taylor's sumptuous Surrey pile once where Gary Glitter did the filthiest version of Be Bop a Lula, which made me shudder at the memory when he was nicked some years later...

Also, Richard O'Brien (Rocky Horror dude) said my bass playing was 'like a piano player's left hand'. Well, I took it as a compliment...

And I nearly ran over Richard Thompson, his wife and son (in pushchair) in Petworth in my old Renault.

My hero David Palmer from Jethro Tull (now Dee Palmer, following gender reassignment) gave me a kiss on the cheek after I sat in with her for 'Locomotive Breath'.

Edited by bassninja

Once had a long bass-inspired chat with Dave Pegg, who was with Jethro Tull at the time. Also talked bass with the guy from Therapy? And got chatted up by Sonya Aurora Madan from Echobelly!

I used to live just around the corner from John Deacons parents (and presumably Johns childhood home) John Illsley from Dire Straits is also from the same village apparently.

I meet Nick Cave at Terminal 5. We were both on the same flight to Stuttgart, him going to play a festival and me to Legoland Germany (work related). I got his autograph for the wife. He signed my copy of Q which had him in it.

I was in a Stereophonics tribute band and we were followed on stage by The Nolans, complete with younger daughter & Niece - with 2 of the original members. I managed to get a photo with them in their dressing room as we knew the guy who was doing their backing tracks.

[attachment=44683:nowlans_4.jpg]

Edited by mep

I went to school with William Orbit. He left school after our first year of A-Level Zoology - I knew he'd never make anything of himself. :)

I was also in the same class as Neville Brody, who seems to have made quite a name for himself in the world of graphic design. His Mother took us to our first concert when we were about 13 - a 'Carribean Music Festival' at Wembley Arena. We were seriously into reggae at the time.

i once walked into an estate agent (a really small, shoddy, no business estate agent in a quiet bit of swansea) to hold open the door for a rather badass looking old man wearing 3/4s and a hat... who apparently was Robert Plant.

i'm fairly sure bonnie tyler keyed my mates car (he left it outside her drive for a minute when we were unloading some stuff for a skate comp on the sea front, came back and it had been totally keyed!)

i served charlotte church and gavin henson in boots, twice within the space of 5 minutes (he forgot to buy batteries) and failed to recognise either of them on both occasions (much to the amazement of all of my colleagues).

oh and once i walked into the hospital for some clinical lecture and jo whiley was doing her morning broadcast from a table in the foyer... about 10 other students gathered to watch her and we almost managed to put her off (accidentally! we were just curious) live on radio one... i waved and i'm fairly sure she flicked the bird at me :)

My Nana went to school with the guy who played Claud Greengrass in 'Heartbeat' did you know he lost a finger in a mangle when 'e were a lad?

AAAAAND a guy I work with now was an extra in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' doesn't get more tenuous than that! He met Orlando Bloom, unfortunately though, he didn't slap him.

Just thought of another one! I once saw Bruce Dickinson on a train, unfortunately though, I didn't slap him.

Edited by beardybass

[quote name='Tech' post='773335' date='Mar 13 2010, 02:42 AM']i once walked into an estate agent (a really small, shoddy, no business estate agent in a quiet bit of swansea) to hold open the door for a rather badass looking old man wearing 3/4s and a hat... who apparently was Robert Plant.

i'm fairly sure bonnie tyler keyed my mates car (he left it outside her drive for a minute when we were unloading some stuff for a skate comp on the sea front, came back and it had been totally keyed!)

i served charlotte church and gavin henson [size=4][b]in boots[/b][/size], twice within the space of 5 minutes (he forgot to buy batteries) and failed to recognise either of them on both occasions (much to the amazement of all of my colleagues).

oh and once i walked into the hospital for some clinical lecture and jo whiley was doing her morning broadcast from a table in the foyer... about 10 other students gathered to watch her and we almost managed to put her off (accidentally! we were just curious) live on radio one... i waved and i'm fairly sure she flicked the bird at me :lol:[/quote]

What else were you wearing? Or was it just the boots? :rolleyes:
Flicked you the bird? I need to get out more or buy a book on modern terms used by young folk. :) :lol:

[quote name='mep' post='773119' date='Mar 12 2010, 08:10 PM']I was in a Stereophonics tribute band and we were followed on stage by The Nolans, complete with younger daughter & Niece - with 2 of the original members. I managed to get a photo with them in their dressing room as we knew the guy who was doing their backing tracks.

[attachment=44683:nowlans_4.jpg][/quote]

Ha ha ha... I love the idea of a gig with The Stereophonics tribute and The Nolans being on the same bill....

[quote name='flyfisher' post='773306' date='Mar 13 2010, 12:16 AM']I went to school with William Orbit. He left school after our first year of A-Level Zoology - I knew he'd never make anything of himself. :)[/quote]
I turned down the chance to do some recording with William Orbit producing.

In the Mid-80s there was a high-tech music magazine which came with an audio cassette taped to the front with audio reviews of the gear featured in the mag. They held a competition for some theme music, use at the beginning of the cassette, the first two prizes being either a day in the studio with William Orbit or a Yamaha KX5 MIDI keyboard (the one you wore like a guitar). The synth band I was in at the time had a tune knocking about that was refusing to turn into a proper full length song so we recorded a 30 second version of it one our portastudio and sent it off. Some months later we got a letter from the magazine saying that we'd been selected as the runners up in the competition and offering us the recording time with Mr Orbit twiddling the knobs.

We were somewhat disappointed by this because we'd specifically entered the competition because we wanted the Yamaha keyboard, we weren't particularly impressed by either the music or the production of William Orbit's band of the time (Torch Song) and the other keyboard player in the band had been previously involved in a similar deal with Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics which had ended in rather unsatisfactory manner when Mr Stewart found himself unable to complete his part of the project due to the fact that he'd suddenly had a hit single!

The wording of the prize allocation was ambiguous and we argued that whilst the offer of recording time was generous we wanted our choice of prize - the keyboard. It took almost 18 months and the threat of legal action before our Yamaha KX5 turned up. At the time we thought we'd made the right decision. The keyboard was exactly what the band need for the live performances (in fact I still have it although it's not been used for at least 15 years) and non of us expected to ever heard about William Orbit again.

• Like 1

My list.
My mother grew up with John Cale! Were good friends. John Rhys Davies is my cousin (Gimley off Lord of the Rings). I met Dave Benson Philips when he stayed in my brother house about 15 years ago, that was weird. Really nice guy though. I bumped into Tim Curry at Paddington station, he had a massive head and face. Argued with the drummer from Catatonia and got dragged off him by my mate. Hywel and Alun Bennett are from my village and come back every now and again to prop the local bars up, nice guys.

[quote name='Doddy' post='773334' date='Mar 13 2010, 02:39 AM']Which one?[/quote]

We were called Stereotonics. We were based in South Devon and played quite a few places over the south west and wales (of course). The student scene was the best. This was between 1999 & 2002. There was another band with the same name around the same time. They even played at a local venue in Paignton once which I went to. You weren't in the band were you?

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='773569' date='Mar 13 2010, 01:09 PM']Ha ha ha... I love the idea of a gig with The Stereophonics tribute and The Nolans being on the same bill....[/quote]

Glad you liked the idea. It was a student end of term bash at a college in Plymouth. A couple of thousand students partying all night. On the main stage there were 3 acts. Top of the bill was supposed to be Artful Dodger, but he cancelled at the last minute and they had some DJ's from Radio 1 do a set - can't remeber who though!