Why become a member? ×

No such thing as 'a keeper' - agree?

Clarky

[quote name='tino' post='1117677' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:09 PM']Totally Agree......................................even got a fiver for me muvva...bless her.
Every thing has its price.. YEP EVERYTHING
For sale genuine 1965 USA Fender Jaguar with upgraded pups & 51 Esquire with Callaham modifications or 71 USA Telecaster..................IF the price is right :)[/quote]

IMO I disagree.

My main jazz bass has no price. It's sentimental value and the emotional attachment I have to it (and the link to the person who bought it for me) really does not have a price.

It will be with me forever. End of.

[quote name='skej21' post='1117683' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:17 PM']IMO I disagree.

My main jazz bass has no price. It's sentimental value and the emotional attachment I have to it (and the link to the person who bought it for me) really does not have a price.

It will be with me forever. End of.[/quote]
Then things aint that hard for you yet.............beleive me material objects all find there level when the going gets tough...needs must etc etc blah blah

[quote name='silddx' post='1117017' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:44 PM']I couldn't agree more mate. I used to say it too. It might be true for some people but I think people like you and me like changing basses a lot, the search for the elusive ONE that doesn't exist, and having new pretties to drool on is so much FUN! Sold my $$ the other day which was "definitely a keeper" and got a gorgeous Jap Jazz this afternoon. Worlds apart in terms of tone and feel, and bass principles, but I love it. I couldn't say it's a keeper anymore, but my god it's so much fun to play! I think it's great to change your opinion based on new information and inspirations.[/quote]

It IS true or some people. My old Ric will stay with me until I drop, or at the very least until I'm unable to play anymore. However I also subscribe to the "having new pretties to drool on" approach. The Ric stays, other things come and go. Suits me fine.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1117323' date='Feb 6 2011, 05:05 AM']What actually makes a keeper is an emotional attachment.[/quote]

I agree with this. As an example, 20 years ago I bought my MM Cutlass with money I inherited from my grandfather - I think he would have approved - and consequently for me it is definitely a keeper.

Being definately fickle I've sold a number of keepers, even the 25th wedding anniversary Ricky keeps getting looked at as a possible funds raiser.

I've managed to hold on to my first bass of this era of playing for nearly 10 years, but apart from that stuff's been moved on on a regular basis!!

Well, I've got my Kubicki, a 1989 model. It's nearly as old as me! I traded my first 1989 model and I regret that. After letting it go, it struck me how rare Kubicki basses are and I decided I had better keep this one as I'll not see another. Of all the Kubickis I've played, this one is arguably the best. It's a keeper!

And I picked up my ACG just fancying a singlecut that looked nice; I had no idea just how good it was actually going to be. Given that it is easily the match of Fodera, Ken Smith, Alembic etc etc in terms of build quality, sound, looks and playability (at a much more reasonable price), I won't be letting it go. Ever since I first saw it, I thought "wow", and it feels like a glove on me. It's the first bass I've played since first playing a Kubicki aged 16 that has that 'natural attachment' feel to it, it is a masterpiece.

My Sandberg is my keeper, I've bought and sold loads of high end basses like Vigier, Warwicks, ACG etc, but none of them come anywhere near how well that Sandberg plays.

My '87 JD Thumb is a keeper - bought new back then by trading in the three basses I then had plus getting out a loan. I don't use a 4-string fretted bass at the moment but it's still the instrument closest to my heart and would be the one to save from a burning house.

Its fretless counterpart is also a keeper. Reprofiled defretted neck so it's the same as a JD. It hasn't got the one-piece bridge, of course, but you can't have everything. Not unless you've got lots more money than me, anyway.

The five-string Antoniotsai bass that I use with one of my bands is also a keeper.

[quote name='farmer61' post='1118850' date='Feb 7 2011, 01:25 PM']Being definately fickle I've sold a number of keepers, even the 25th wedding anniversary Ricky keeps getting looked at as a possible funds raiser.

I've managed to hold on to my first bass of this era of playing for nearly 10 years, but apart from that stuff's been moved on on a regular basis!![/quote]

Hmm interesting exchange of words on Monday, when I was busy answering pm's about my Jazz sale.

Mrs F61 "what you doing now?"
Me "I'm selling one of my basses"
Mrs F61 "why you selling another one?"
Me "Cause I've got a new one incoming"
Mrs F61 "I hope your [b]NOT[/b] selling that Rick thingy that you got on our 25th anniversary"
Me "ahem no"

Sounds like the Ricky has become a keeper all of a sudden :)

[quote name='farmer61' post='1121043' date='Feb 9 2011, 10:04 AM']Hmm interesting exchange of words on Monday, when I was busy answering pm's about my Jazz sale.

Mrs F61 "what you doing now?"
Me "I'm selling one of my basses"
Mrs F61 "why you selling another one?"
Me "Cause I've got a new one incoming"
Mrs F61 "I hope your [b]NOT[/b] selling that Rick thingy that you got on our 25th anniversary"
Me "ahem no"

Sounds like the Ricky has become a keeper all of a sudden :)[/quote]
I have a 30th anniversary Fender Stratocaster bought for me in 1993 for my 30th birthday with my wife's last ever paycheck before she retired to full-time family rearing. I am not allowed to sell that either, even though its been sat in its case for over 10 years as I just don't ever play guitar!

My Shuker is a keeper. Nothing significant other than I designed it (ie, no sentimental value).

But i suppose i have to deduce that at least a small part of the reason it's a keeper is because I couldn't create something as good as it for the price it's worth second hand.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='1121100' date='Feb 9 2011, 10:51 AM']But i suppose i have to deduce that at least a small part of the reason it's a keeper is because I couldn't create something as good as it for the price it's worth second hand.[/quote]

This got me thinking about if i had the oppertunity again, what would i do differently in my bass. With the possible exception of adding wenge binding to go with the blocks, there's nothing i would want to change....

So i take it back! :)

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='1118871' date='Feb 7 2011, 01:40 PM']My Sandberg is my keeper, I've bought and sold loads of high end basses like Vigier, Warwicks, ACG etc, but none of them come anywhere near how well that Sandberg plays.[/quote]

I know what you mean.. recently i have bought a few basses for my collection and have been gigging and rehearsing with them all and left the Sandberg JJ california alone for a few months. Last night i took it out of its case and took it down stairs for some some finger excersise noodling while i was watching Shameless. God i love the feel of that thing and the sound is gorgeous plugged in. I have had that from brand new and i know i just wouldnt sell it. My daughter loves it out of them all and has bagseyed it when i croak. :)
regards
Keith M

[quote name='Sean' post='1117029' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:49 PM']My Yamaha BB415 is a keeper as near as dammit. This was the bass I bought to replace Sid actually, Clarky. Why is it a keeper? It's a cheap bass that's been modified leaving scars and it's taken a couple of knocks leaving more scars. For what it would fetch cash it's hardly worth the bother selling it. I keep it strung with TI Flats and it's just fantastic. So a keeper by default rather than because it's so special I couldn't part with it.[/quote]

I'm in this kind of boat as well - my Tanglewood TEB12 was my main gigging bass for YEARS, so it's covered with stickers, held together with wood glue and gaffa tape and eventually was signed by Duff McKagan, hence retired and a 'keeper' by virtue of the fact no-one'd want to buy it. I too have a Bass Collection which wouldn't fetch anywhere near what it's worth secondhand, so that'll stay unless someone makes me a decent offer for it - and the third one's a 70s Japanese Grabber copy which Mani signed 'I *heart* rock 'n' roll, keep it alive' after he saw my old band at a gig in Manchester, so there's mega sentimental value there.

I've had a fair few basses, and most of them have lasted maybe a few months max before being sold on. They weren't bad instruments (apart from [i]that[/i] Hondo :)), I just didn't feel comfortable playing them like I do with the Pedulla.

Currently have another Precision bass too (think this is the fourth now), which is nice. Better than the P's I've owned before, and should be with me for a while :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1117011' date='Feb 5 2011, 08:40 PM']My Jazz will be with me forever unless I become homeless. Had it for years never considered selling it.[/quote]

+1 I have a CAR jazz bass that never sees the light of day, if I am homeless it will still be with me!!! never played out, only in the studio or at home, but I play it every day when I am at home. when i am away i pine for it and have to make do with a crappy '60s sunburst jazz !!!!! I

I've had my:
'03 Jazz for around 6 years
'73 Jazz for around 3 years
'09 Jazz for around 1 year
'83 Jazz for around 1 month

The first two for me are keepers and have done a LOT of gigs with me. The '09 probably is for as long as I need a 5string, I can't see it being bettered as it's just the 5er version of my '03.
The '83 is an unknown quantity just now, liking it and is a fairly rare birth-year bass.....but still gelling with it.

So yeah, I think there is a thing as a keeper, as long as you're genuinely happy with it......that happens when you forget about the bass at the gig and just hear the playing/music :)

Si

I'm as bad as anyone else for buying instruments,but there are a couple that are keepers-at least right now.
I've had my #1 Jazz for nearly 15 years,and I've modified it and knocked it around,but it's still my go to bass. It's not the fanciest bass-it's a mid 90's MIJ,but I've spent a lot of time with it so it is now really comfortable and familiar.
I think the problem with a lot of people is that they change instruments regularly,looking for 'the one',but I feel that an instrument only becomes 'the one' after you've played it for a while and know it inside out. Sure,quality wise my Shuker andy Roscoe (and others)are better,but they don't have the vibe that I get from the Fender after years of working with it.