Why become a member? ×

Would you play absolutely ANY gig?

matski

Fellow Basschatters,

An interesting point was raised following on from a light-hearted jest from me on another thread.

Let's suppose you are a professional, jobbing bass player who needs to have regular income from your work - would you play with absolutely anyone just to meet that requirement?

If you were asked to play with an artist who you have no respect for and whose music is really not your type of thing, would you just grit your teeth and do it for the money OR turn the gig down?

In other words, does 'integrity' come into the picture at all?

Just curious...

[quote name='matski' post='1110951' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:33 PM']In other words, does 'integrity' come into the picture at all?[/quote]

In my opinion, no! In my job I sometimes have to deal with people who I disagree completely with - for instance, a proactive member of the BNP who I had to teach how to use a computer! But that's the point of it being a job - you'd be there to make money, simple as. Unless, of course, you're someone like Victor Wooten, who I can't imagine standing in for a session with a death metal band :) although I'm sure he'd do it quite well!

Well, that's the difference. If playing bass is your job then you can't really afford to turn your nose up at jobs you might perceive to be uninteresting or not enjoyable. Everyone who has a job gets tasks like these from time to time. I think it's a better sign of integrity that you are able to do your best at a task you might not necessarily relish.

Artistic "integrity" is just another word for snobbery in my book and an excuse to for people to look down their noses at someone who is doing something that they can't or wouldn't. That doesn't make it wrong!

The likelihood of me ever becoming a jobbing musician is vanishingly small but in my dreams I could imagine playing music I didn't particularly like and also playing with other musicians I didn't particularly like. But I couldn't imagine playing for a 'cause' I didn't agree with, e.g. a fund-raising gig for the BNP.

I guess that's some sort of integrity.

When I can afford the integrity - I'll have it :)

Seriously though there is musical value in most situations and experience to be gained. And if you are a professional you approach every situation with a professional attitude - like Truckstop and benh have already alluded to. You can also meet some interesting people if you go into things with an open mind.

And when you get paid, you can use that money to fund other musical projects :).

On another note there is a difference between musical integrity and personal integrity. We can all work out what we're comfortable with.

Edited by lapolpora

I guess it depends how much you are scratching around for work.

If you can afford to be picky, then you probably would.
Most I know, can't.

If the gig is worth peanuts then you might but I knew plenty travelling up and down the country for the big weddings
just to get their cash in for the week. You have to do that for 10 years plus and see where that leaves you.

In a word, no.

I won`t play for any polical parties, or religions. There are also a few charities for which I won`t play.

In terms of venues, as a whole our band won`t play "hard" venues. This is because we don`t want the people who come to see us involved in being hit by idiots.

Lastly, on a personal level, there are a few people who I will have nothing to do with, and as such, would not play a gig if they were running it. It wouldn`t concern me however, being on the same bill as them.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1110994' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:55 PM']Would you play for Gary Glitter? Not even for a million pounds?! :)[/quote]

Sure. He might be a nonce,but he's got some great tunes. Playing the gig doesn't mean you have to hang with him.

I've got to earn a living,so I'll take pretty much anything. I've turned down stuff if the money sucks,but I'll happily take whatever is being offered.The time to worry is when the calls stop.
Let's be honest,everyone has times when they don't want to go to work,but have to anyway. After all,we've all got bills to pay.

If you are a hobbyist,then you can do whatever you want-you don't have to play with people you don't like and can play all night for nothing if you want (as proven in other threads).But if you are pro,things change as you don't have the security of a day job to guarantee your income.

[quote name='matski' post='1110951' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:33 PM']Fellow Basschatters,

An interesting point was raised following on from a light-hearted jest from me on another thread.

Let's suppose you are a professional, jobbing bass player who needs to have regular income from your work - would you play with absolutely anyone just to meet that requirement?

If you were asked to play with an artist who you have no respect for and whose music is really not your type of thing, would you just grit your teeth....[/quote]

I would and often do.....

In order to pay the bills, I often have to play with, or for, artists who's music and/or personality aren't to my liking. As long as the band members are competant and we can produce what is required (in other words, it's not sh*t), I do the gig.

Even after 28 yrs, I still learn something evry time I play.

Suppose it depends on what level of "professional" you are at. If your at Nathan East level, you can probably be picky. If your a jobbing pro your not going to turn down a 2 month stint playing panto if the money's right just because you don't like screaming kids. Are you? :)

The OP stated that you had to be a pro. I'm not and never have been (although I guess being paid for gigs as part of a band makes me a semi-pro?).

Most of us amateurs would only do gigs that we wanted to, but if it was my only (or even main) source of income I would take whatever I could get. You never know what it could lead to, and after all I have three kids to feed and a mortgage to pay!

[quote name='woodster' post='1111048' date='Feb 1 2011, 02:28 PM']I would and often do.....

In order to pay the bills, I often have to play with, or for, artists who's music and/or personality aren't to my liking. As long as the band members are competant and we can produce what is required (in other words, it's not sh*t), I do the gig.

Even after 28 yrs, I still learn something evry time I play.[/quote]

Agreed... Money in the bank saves me from eating Beans on toast every night.

Sure, as long as the money was worth it, ie after travelling expenses etc. I'd rather be at a gig earning £50 than at home earning nothing.

Isn't it like any job ?

If you're a postman or milkman for example, you may not want to get up if it's raining or snowing.

I've played at venues that I haven't particularly wanted to play at. I just turn up, set up, do the gig and go home afterwards.

I'd happily play with Gary Glitter, why not ? Same as I'd love to have played with Michael Jackson.

Does anyone really get to choose who they work with ?

[quote name='Conan' post='1111068' date='Feb 1 2011, 02:41 PM']The OP stated that you had to be a pro. I'm not and never have been (although I guess being paid for gigs as part of a band makes me a semi-pro?).

Most of us amateurs would only do gigs that we wanted to, but if it was my only (or even main) source of income I would take whatever I could get. You never know what it could lead to, and after all I have three kids to feed and a mortgage to pay![/quote]

Sorry I'm lazy and never read much more than 2 sentences :)

If I were a pro? Still no. I'm someone who despite loving Shredded Wheat, won't eat them because they're made by Nestle and I don't like some of what Nestle get up to.

My morals and principles come before cash. I'd probably look to get a different job if it meant playing for people I disliked.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1111073' date='Feb 1 2011, 02:45 PM']Sure, as long as the money was worth it, ie after travelling expenses etc. I'd rather be at a gig earning £50 than at home earning nothing.

Isn't it like any job ?

If you're a postman or milkman for example, you may not want to get up if it's raining or snowing.

I've played at venues that I haven't particularly wanted to play at. I just turn up, set up, do the gig and go home afterwards.

I'd happily play with Gary Glitter, why not ? Same as I'd love to have played with Michael Jackson.

Does anyone really get to choose who they work with ?[/quote]

Being a postman, I'd say that not wanting to get up because it's raining is far removed from being asked to do a benefit gig for say the BNP, in my case.

One is a pain in the proverbial the other is a matter of conscience imo

:)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1111085' date='Feb 1 2011, 02:56 PM']Being a postman, I'd say that not wanting to get up because it's raining is far removed from being asked to do a benefit gig for say the BNP, in my case.

One is a pain in the proverbial the other is a matter of conscience imo

:)[/quote]

But what about if you have to deliver BNP (or whoever)promo material?
Would you flat out refuse to deliver it,or just get on with it and do your job?

I am a professional bass player and there are people I won't work with - not because of politics exactly - but because I've learned that they can't be trusted. If you work with people even though you know, or even suspect that they are less than stand up guys then you're asking to be screwed, surely?

Being professional doesn't mean a lowering of standards, now does it?

Been there - done that. My attitude is to do away with the snobbery involved in 'I don't like that kind of music therefore I won't play it'. As for playing with people you don't like - again, that's snobbery. Just because it's music that doesn't mean that the principles or work don't apply like they do to any other job. How many folks here with day jobs can't stand their boss or other folks in the workplace but still work alongside them year after year? If you're a professional musician why should there be different rules/opinions?

Not doing a gig for the likes of the BNP is a valid excuse in my opinion, just as those with dayjobs have chosen not to work for the BNP.

One facet of being a professional bass player, in my opinion, is to be a professional bass player - meaning that I play the bass lines required to a professional standard. If it's a country tune and I try to play something funky then I'm not being very professional.

I look at what we do as having a skill or a trade - just like being a plumber is a trade. A plumber doesn't go into a house and think -that guy's an idiot and I don't much like the look of this toilet he's bought so I'm not going to install it-. If he did you'd think him a joke and never book him again. Instead he installs the toilet to the best of his ability, gets paid and leaves. Sure he might call you a prick on the way home. That's fine - as long as he's done the job properly. Same goes for being a professional bass player.

It would be great to be a Nathan East and handpick the genre of music you'll play and the people - but that's not how it is for the majority of working musicians. And I'd be fairly confident in saying that Nathan has done his fair share of gigs he wasn't too thrilled about in the past - but I'd bet he did them professionally. :)