Why become a member? ×

Endorsements

Pete Academy

I remember reading an interview with Paul Weller where he said he had gear literally thrown at him by companies desperate for him to use it, and he ended up selling most of it.

The irony is that when you can afford to buy anything, the companies give it to you free.

If you were offered an endorsement and could get the bass or amp for free, would you use it because it cost you nothing, despite the fact that you didn't really like it?

Personally, I wouldn't.

I would only take it if it was from my favourite brands, *Hint to Hartke/EBS and Fender*. Though I always thought buying stuff yourself is more satisfying than being given something anyway...
So I'll save up whatever loose change I have to earn the stuff that I want :)

Edited by jamesbass116

If I didn`t like the gear, I wouldn`t use it. No matter if it`s free, I`ve now got to a point where I know what instruments I like to play, and what sounds I like to achieve from the amps, so if the gear couldn`t do it, no thanks. Do agree with Burrito though, back when I was kid, it would have been a resounding yes.

I remember reading an interview with Kurt Cobain about how desperate Gibson were to get him to endorse their guitars, and him saying he just couldn`t find one that he could get on with. I thought at the time, what integrity that showed.

Personally, if i could get a good tone out of it with ease and little, even better no EQing, it wasn't too hard to move, and had adequate power for my uses (And sounded good when being cranked), i would probably use it. If not, i'll spend my cash on something that i like and will be more happy to use, even if it takes me months to save up just to buy a used cab for £100.

Liam

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1110185' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:24 PM']I think strings, cables, effects, etc would be OK, but a bass and amp would be more personal.[/quote]
Strings are probably the single thing that transformed my sound so whilst I know what you are getting at here Pete I probably wouldn't agree here

[quote name='cocco' post='1110293' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:17 PM']I have roto sound and fender endorsements, I don't use fender stuff apart from my CIJ jazz which I had before the endorsement. I love roto strings so that's good. It's handy too, strings are expensive![/quote]

That sounds like the ideal situation to me and, yes, when I was a young 'un, I would have endorsed anything if it was free. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1110053' date='Jan 31 2011, 08:33 PM']If you were offered an endorsement and could get the bass or amp for free, would you use it because it cost you nothing, despite the fact that you didn't really like it?[/quote]

Nope.
A band I was in back in the 80s turned down a sponsorship offer from an amp manufacturer, not so much because of the kit (which was 'so so') but because we hated the new owners of the company.

If you don't like the kit then you're not going to be inclined to work with it to get the best possible sound and it's always going to be 'that pile of sh*t', so a bit of a pointless exercise for both parties really.

I'd endorse Thomastik strings if I meant I could get some to fit all my basses. Getting free strings would save me about £30 a decade on each bass I use them on. Amp & cab - I'd endorse anything I could get for free that was no bigger or heavier than my current rig, but still sounded as good. Basses - It'd have to be something I really liked.

It would be pointless to have free stuff I didn't like but had to use. I'd probably give up playing before I go back to using rotosounds.

I'm not under any illusions that anyone takes any notice of what gear I use, so I'm not holding my breath waiting for the offers of free gear to come in.

I'd personally only endorse stuff I actually like, so if Mesa or Markbass wanna send some amps and cabs be my guest lol, basses probably Warwick as it's the only way i'll be able to afford an Infinity.
I couldn't for example endorse Rotosound or ernie ball strings as i never got on with them :)

[quote name='DaveB' post='1110900' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:53 PM']I couldn't for example endorse Rotosound or ernie ball strings as i never got on with them :)[/quote]

I won't mention names as it'd cause trouble for the individual, but I know of one pretty well known bass player who endorses some strings he absolutely hates and doesn't use unless the sponsor is turning up with more of them...