Why become a member? ×

Endorsements

Pete Academy

[quote name='Skol303' post='1179796' date='Mar 28 2011, 05:49 PM']The image link suggests it's a band called 'Immortal'... this lot:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_%28band%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_%28band%29[/url]

From Wikipedia:

"Immortal is a black metal band from Bergen, Norway. The band was formed by Abbath and Demonaz Doom Occulta after their previous band, Amputation, did not take off."

^ I guess someone needed to give them a hand!

... I'll get me coat.[/quote]

I can just make out the name on the amps at the back. [b]Engl.[/b] never heard of them are they any good ? No come to think of it i have heard of them i just know n othing about them.

they apparently go well with Marshals acording to [url="http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/may08/articles/guitartech.htm"]this pic[/url]

Edited by daz

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1110053' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:33 PM']I remember reading an interview with Paul Weller where he said he had gear literally thrown at him by companies desperate for him to use it, and he ended up selling most of it.

The irony is that when you can afford to buy anything, the companies give it to you free.

If you were offered an endorsement and could get the bass or amp for free, would you use it because it cost you nothing, despite the fact that you didn't really like it?

Personally, I wouldn't.[/quote]

If they "literally" threw stuff at me, I'd probably just get out of the way. Insert smiley face man.

[quote name='daz' post='1179836' date='Mar 28 2011, 06:25 PM']I can just make out the name on the amps at the back. [b]Engl.[/b] never heard of them are they any good ? No come to think of it i have heard of them i just know n othing about them.

they apparently go well with Marshals acording to [url="http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/may08/articles/guitartech.htm"]this pic[/url][/quote]

Engl amps are amazing.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1179796' date='Mar 28 2011, 05:49 PM']The image link suggests it's a band called 'Immortal'... this lot:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_%28band%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_%28band%29[/url]

From Wikipedia:

"Immortal is a black metal band from Bergen, Norway. The band was formed by Abbath and Demonaz Doom Occulta after their previous band, Amputation, did not take off."

^ I guess someone needed to give them a hand!

... I'll get me coat.[/quote]

Yep, its Immortal. They are hilariously awful...

[quote name='daz' post='1179836' date='Mar 28 2011, 06:25 PM']I can just make out the name on the amps at the back. [b]Engl.[/b] never heard of them are they any good ? No come to think of it i have heard of them i just know n othing about them.[/quote]

German company, make guitar amps but no bass gear.
Our guitarists both use ENGL combos and reckon they're the biz...

[quote name='daz' post='1179836' date='Mar 28 2011, 06:25 PM']I can just make out the name on the amps at the back. [b]Engl.[/b] never heard of them are they any good ? No come to think of it i have heard of them i just know n othing about them.

they apparently go well with Marshals acording to [url="http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/may08/articles/guitartech.htm"]this pic[/url][/quote]

I tried em out an really didn't like the sound at all, don't rate the clean channel and the distortion isn't to my tastes. I ended up buying a Mesa and have been happy with that :)

I know its completely missing the point of the thread, but man! I'd love someone to take notice of my band!

To have an endorsement, even if it was for one pedal i used or something!

Or be signed to a label but alas!

A rotosound endorsement would be a dream come true, and a GK endorsement a bigger dream come true and that would pretty much be me set!

but to answer the OP question, no. As i wouldn't be usuing it so it would be pointless, like Slash and gibson! His Legendary Les Paul is a Les Paul copy!
I think its better just to be honest and true about it all, no one really wins if your face is on something you don't use which someone checks out because they think you use it but you don't!

^^^
Jealousy vent over!!

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1180261' date='Mar 28 2011, 11:35 PM']a GK endorsement a bigger dream come true

Jealousy vent over!![/quote]

Allow me to gloat for a second!

haha, just kidding. :) On a serious note though, if you want an endorsement, you shouldn't be afraid to go actively looking for them and asking around. My band's been offered various endorsements, some we accepted, some we didn't. I've found that it's surprising how many people are interested in the music you play rather than how big you are (though of course that's a factor too, though smaller than I thought.)

Also once you've had an offer for one (whether you accept or not), it makes it easier to get others because it adds a bit of weight to your case. There are some brands that will offer endorsements out fairly easily, I know I got offered one from a company that has a bit of a reputation for being endorsement sluts. :)

I'd consider each offer on an individual basis - I wouldn't have a blanket yes or no policy, except perhaps on perishables such as strings, cables etc. Then again, strings can be quite a large factor in determining tone, so I wouldn't be able to say for certain.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1179973' date='Mar 28 2011, 08:29 PM']Engl amps are amazing.[/quote]

Do you know of any shops that sell Engl amps Pete? Perhaps in the Stoke on Trent area? :)

I've got a couple of deals which is cool as they make great gear. I got the Spectraflex deal after using their cables
for a few years,and the iGig deal came after I spoke to the owner of the company.
I was offered an amp deal last year with a certain popular Italian manufacturer after talking to the rep at Bass Day,
but turned it down as I wasn't particularly happy with the deal that they were offering. I also wasn't using their amps
and didn't feel the need to change.However,I've recently been speaking to the founder of another amp company
who's amps I have been using for a few years now,which is looking quite promising.

If Rotosound, Laney or Trace, Shuker or Warwick offered me endorsement deals I'd take them in a heartbeat.

For anyone else I'd really want to try what they had to offer before saying 'yay' or 'nay'. If the product was not to my taste - and here I won't say 'crap' because one persons 'crap-tacular' is anothers 'awesome-sauce' - then I'd definitely decline.

Also, I think I'd feel weird if I were offered a deal with say, Ibanez. Because, whilst they have some really nice instruments they don't really cater for the lefty market - and as a lefty who plays lefty that would very much put me off.

I am always looking at companies that could possibly offer something for me, mainly because i hate paying full price for anything and also because if i do love a bit of gear, i want the company to know about it and sort me out!

I have luckily got something going on with Sandberg basses which is awsome and they are really taking an interest in me rather than just using what i am doing as a way of getting some advertising for sorting me out with a cheap bass.

Strings are the next thing and i couldnt care less who gives them to me as i can use cheapies or 'spenive ones as they only last a gig or a handfull of rehearsals then i have killed them.

What i have found is that i have only approached companies that make gear i love and have usually come up trumps in one way or another, mainly because i think they can tell you really do love their stuff.

If Ampeg hadnt started making nasty chinese crap then i would be all over them like a rash! lol