Why become a member? ×

The essential bits of kit

Marvin

Plenty of cables-1/4",XLR,Speaker and Patch.
A good gig bag-I don't like hardcases and never use one anymore.Picks-just in case.Strings new and old.Screwdrivers and Allen keys.Instrument stand.Music stand-not one of those flimsy,collapsable ones.Stand Light.Plug Boards.Batteries.DI box.Tuner.Pliers.Pens and Pencils.Fan-got to stay cool.Ear plugs or in ear monitors.

Non musical,but still essential. Reliable car. Sat Nav or map book and route planner.Plenty of shirts.Jacket.Ties.Deodorant and general toiletries.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1108336' date='Jan 30 2011, 05:18 PM']For me its Bass, Combo (For now) 20ft and 10ft jack leads, spare bass, picks, tuner, spare used strings, phillips screwdriver, allen keys, batteries, earplugs, towel, tshirt, deoderant, hairbrush. I can fit all that into 2 gig bags, and my guitarist delivers the combo as its his.

Liam[/quote]
So,you are missing an essential bit of kit if the amp isn't yours. It'll become a big problem if someone else wants you for a gig.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1108165' date='Jan 30 2011, 02:30 PM']That we care about the state of our hearing? :) If they think anything else I couldn't give a toss, frankly.[/quote]

TBH, I don't think many of my bands audience give a toss about their own hearing, never mind mine! I get stick from my bandmates about wearing earplugs at rehearsals, but would wear them at gigs too if I thought I'd get away with it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1108346' date='Jan 30 2011, 05:28 PM']So,you are missing an essential bit of kit if the amp isn't yours. It'll become a big problem if someone else wants you for a gig.[/quote]

Its not that big of a problem as he doesn't mind me using it for my gigs, but i do have a Warwick ProFet 5.1 Head and im just finding the funds for a cab at the moment, so i wont be using it for much longer anyway.

Liam

In my gig bag right now...

Zoom H4 for recording the gig
Deoderant x 2 (roll on and spray)
battery checker
Assorted plectrums
12 jack to jack leads of various length (12" - 24')
2 spare mics
Earplugs
spare tuner
Spare power cable
3 x 9v PSUs
Anti-bacterial hand sanitiser
Multimeter
Fuses
Condoms
Assorted cable ties
Gaffer tape
Ball point pens - lots in various colours
Sharpie markers - lots in various colours
A small thick notebook
A PowerMonkey with all the adaptor bits
Pliers
Assorted screwdrivers
Multitool - cheap one
Batteries
Spare speakon/speakon cable (1m)
10m XLR mic lead
Business cards (own band plus a few of other bands)
Tube of Zovirax
Allen keys - loads
Adjustable spanner
A small torch
Cuddly toy (really, a tiny one)
Ibuprofen
Asda Smartprice Dark chocolate
Two 1m bungees
Stanley knife
Microfibre cloth
A toothbrush and mini-tube of toothpaste (hotel freebie type)
Plastic cutlery
One of those planet waves tuner winder things
Earphones
3 x £1 coins

As essential, I have to add my Pandora - I couldn't live without it and it's so much better than any other similar product out there.

Auralex Gramma Pad - lives in the car

A folding sack-truck or trolley - I got one of [url="http://www.bigdug.co.uk/trucks-trolleys-c22/sack-trucks-c122/aluminium-folding-sack-truck-p1692"]these[/url], exactly the same from Aldi a few years ago for £14, in fact three of us in the band got one each. They are great, I saw them in Focus DIY last year for £30 and thought they were steep for that price. If you do get one I would recommend dismantling it and lock-tite all the nuts and bolts, I actually replaced all the ones on mine with those self-locking nuts.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='1108399' date='Jan 30 2011, 06:06 PM']In my gig bag right now...

battery checker
Assorted plectrums
2 spare mics
Earplugs
spare tuner
Spare power cable
3 x 9v PSUs
Multimeter
Fuses
Condoms
Assorted cable ties
Gaffer tape
A small thick notebook
Pliers
Assorted screwdrivers
Multitool - cheap one
Batteries
10m XLR mic lead
Tube of Zovirax
Allen keys - loads
Adjustable spanner
A small torch
Ibuprofen
Two 1m bungees
Stanley knife
Microfibre cloth
Plastic cutlery
Earphones
3 x £1 coins[/quote]

This looks like the props list for the remaking of Silence of the Lambs :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1108437' date='Jan 30 2011, 06:33 PM']This looks like the props list for the remaking of Silence of the Lambs :)[/quote]

I'm just going on eBay to see if I can get some fava beans and a nice chianti to complete the list. :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1108348' date='Jan 30 2011, 05:28 PM']TBH, I don't think many of my bands audience give a toss about their own hearing, never mind mine! I get stick from my bandmates about wearing earplugs at rehearsals, but would wear them at gigs too if I thought I'd get away with it.[/quote]
How would they know you had them in? And bandmates opinions on me being a jessy for wearing them would be second to not going deaf or having tinitus forever! I have known too many drummers that answer most questions with "tuesday" to not care although if the sound level is good and Im away from the kit I dont wear them as soon as it starts creeping up there in and no one knows unless you show them if you have the right ones.

[url="http://www.proplugs.com/"]http://www.proplugs.com/[/url]
Check out the music and noise section, Have a look at the DB protection and how if you get the vented ones it allows under 1000hz through where non vented and the cheap ones block too much out perfect for bass players as many of us already know, Get some clear ones give em a suck and pop em in! There is no need to suffer in this day and age and It would be interesting if you dont tell the band mates and see how long it is before they spot them. :)

[quote name='Sean' post='1108399' date='Jan 30 2011, 06:06 PM']In my gig bag right now...

battery checker
Assorted plectrums
2 spare mics
Earplugs
spare tuner
Spare power cable
3 x 9v PSUs
Multimeter
Fuses
Condoms
Assorted cable ties
Gaffer tape
A small thick notebook
Pliers
Assorted screwdrivers
Multitool - cheap one
Batteries
10m XLR mic lead
Tube of Zovirax
Allen keys - loads
Adjustable spanner
A small torch
Ibuprofen
Two 1m bungees
Stanley knife
Microfibre cloth
Plastic cutlery
Earphones
3 x £1 coins

As essential, I have to add my Pandora - I couldn't live without it and it's so much better than any other similar product out there.

Auralex Gramma Pad - lives in the car

A folding sack-truck or trolley - I got one of [url="http://www.bigdug.co.uk/trucks-trolleys-c22/sack-trucks-c122/aluminium-folding-sack-truck-p1692"]these[/url], exactly the same from Aldi a few years ago for £14, in fact three of us in the band got one each. They are great, I saw them in Focus DIY last year for £30 and thought they were steep for that price. If you do get one I would recommend dismantling it and lock-tite all the nuts and bolts, I actually replaced all the ones on mine with those self-locking nuts.[/quote]
:) I know roadies and sound engineers who carry less than this! How much of this is [i]essential[/i]?

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1108348' date='Jan 30 2011, 05:28 PM']TBH, I don't think many of my bands audience give a toss about their own hearing, never mind mine! I get stick from my bandmates about wearing earplugs at rehearsals, but would wear them at gigs too if I thought I'd get away with it.[/quote]

Cant you hide them under your wig? :)

Kinda depends on what it is I'm doing...

Appropriate instruments, amp, cabs and effects - obviously

[b]Sensible Kit:[/b]
Spare strings for everything
Duster
Guitar Stand(s)
Various mains leads (extension reels, boards, IEC and Commando)
Various signal cables
DI box
Towel
Folding trolley
Duct Tape, insulating tape, blutak
Thin marker pens
Spare clothes and shoes/trainers
Water Bottle
Flask of Coffee, sandwiches/food (if I'm going to be out all day and half the night)
Guitar tuner
Spare batteries

[b]Disaster Kit:[/b]
Toolbox
First Aid kit
Various loose plugs and sockets (mains and signal)
Bag of cable (mains and signal)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1108182' date='Jan 30 2011, 02:45 PM']I typed personal recommendations for Marvin into Amazon

I got [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Anthology-Authentic-Tab/dp/0739040685/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296398462&sr=1-2"]this[/url][/quote]
:) :)

Thank you for your help :lol:

In my gig bag at the moment;
two 15ft (quality) jack cables
Korg Pitchblack
Sansamp BDDI
BBE Opto stomp
a few patch cables
Cruz tools bass tool kit (one of the best things I've bought!!)
Spare strings
Strap (or two)
Duster cloth
Ear plugs
2x kettle leads
Speakon cable
XLR cable
Box o' industrial Duracell 9v's (thanks dad!!)
Copy of Front magazine or the days news paper
Ipad

[quote name='Johnston' post='1108511' date='Jan 30 2011, 07:18 PM']Can I just say in response to some of the shopping lists of "essentials"

I did my first proper gig with a beat up cheap ass bit of korean Ply, a tuner and 2 cables 1 into and 1 out of the tuner (I think although I might have just unplugged to tune), a few picks and a copy of the setlist.

Amp was a P.a. head through a 15" speaker borrowed from my uncle.

No Gig bag, no spares, no effects and no tools.

We thought that would be it done our gig had a laugh call it a day instead we got nearly another 7 years out of it . I did get my own amp soon after though :) :)[/quote]

I didn't even have a tuner. Spent years building up a bag of essentials (or "be able to continue playing if a meteorite struck in the middle of a gig" bag). Then realised I never used or needed most of them and pared right down to the real essentials. The only real unusual essential item I have now is buldog clips and clothes pegs for windy outdoor gigs - they keep the music from blowing away.

Spare bass, lead, amp if possible!

Spare set of strings
Tuner (Boss pedal for me)
Wire cutters
Allen key and set of screwdrivers
Batteries
A decent strap for every bass
Case/gigbags for bass
a watch (so I'm not always late)

Optional things I really like to have personally:
A good overdrive pedal
A good on the floor preamp if the soundguy wants to put you through a DI box (Sansamp or similar)
Power supply for pedals

[quote name='Marvin' post='1107997' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:04 PM']I'm not particularly interested but the wife asked besides the obvious bass itself, an amp and a lead what are the essential bits of kit?

Mine, probably my gig bag (I don't like my bass getting damaged) and my iPod. The iPod for practicing songs.

It's a boring thread so if you're not interested don't feel obliged.[/quote]

I would say for gigs its my radio system. One the odd occasion recently ive had to use a lead its felt very odd.
Also a gig bag that hangs off one shoulder without hitting the top of the tube door. Actually, thats pretty important and one reason i still have a very cheap levys gig bag.

For practising at home i would say its my PC.

Edited by dave_bass5