Why become a member? ×

The essential bits of kit

Marvin

I'm not particularly interested but the wife asked besides the obvious bass itself, an amp and a lead what are the essential bits of kit?

Mine, probably my gig bag (I don't like my bass getting damaged) and my iPod. The iPod for practicing songs.

It's a boring thread so if you're not interested don't feel obliged.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1107997' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:04 PM']I'm not particularly interested but the wife asked besides the obvious bass itself, an amp and a lead what are the essential bits of kit?

Mine, probably my gig bag (I don't like my bass getting damaged) and my iPod. The iPod for practicing songs.

It's a boring thread so if you're not interested don't feel obliged.[/quote]
Tuner
Allen key
Stand
Good strings

Strangely enough, a decent strap. If my shoulder's in burning pain, it's hard to hide it from the audience all the time.

Oh, and a reliable car (boring, but true).

Other stuff is preferential, but it must be reliable :) Then of course, there's all the supporting hardware, like spare stings, batteries, pain meds, ear plugs,etc, all of which contributes to being a reliable journeyman musician.

Thinking further about that, if your complete kit contributes to building a good reputation (which in turn gets you work), is not your complete kit essential ? I dare say not everyone will agree with me, it's only my 2p's worth.

Not a boring thread at all Marvin :)

T

An assortment of womens clothes, leather codpiece, wig, mirrored aviators and possibly a hat.

On the gear front, a stand, hardcase and a tuner are probably the only things apart from the obvious!

By obvious I mean, bass, amp, leads, spare leads and gaffar tape.

Some have mentioned earplugs.... For rehearsals yes, gigs no. What does it say to your audience if the band are wearing them?

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='Marvin' post='1107997' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:04 PM']I'm not particularly interested but the wife asked...[/quote]

Be very careful here. If the wife is asking, the essential number of basses is n+1 where n is the number of basses you currently own. 'A bass and an amp and a few leads' is going to leave you seriously under-equipped. At the very least the answer should be an entire cupboard full of kit, possibly leaning towards a room full of kit.

It is not necessary for you to explain what any of that kit does, how often you use it (if ever), or even if it is necessarily essential. All she needs to know is ALL that kit is what you NEED and if possible you need a bit more space for expansion.

She's not planning on extending your family is she?

[quote name='TimR' post='1108043' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:31 PM']Be very careful here. If the wife is asking, the essential number of basses is n+1 where n is the number of basses you currently own. 'A bass and an amp and a few leads' is going to leave you seriously under-equipped. At the very least the answer should be an entire cupboard full of kit, possibly leaning towards a room full of kit.

It is not necessary for you to explain what any of that kit does, how often you use it (if ever), or even if it is necessarily essential. All she needs to know is ALL that kit is what you NEED and if possible you need a bit more space for expansion.

She's not planning on extending your family is she?[/quote]

She (meaning me!) reads these from time to time :) No I'm not planning on extending the family! I was just curious (ok nosey) and Mr M didn't think many would reply.
Plus I need some ideas of what 'bits and pieces' I can get him for b'day, christmas etc etc.
( oh I also know what most of the 'stuff' does generally :))
Mrs Marvin xx

[quote name='Marvin' post='1108049' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:37 PM']She (meaning me!) reads these from time to time :) No I'm not planning on extending the family! I was just curious (ok nosey) and Mr M didn't think many would reply.
Plus I need some ideas of what 'bits and pieces' I can get him for b'day, christmas etc etc.
( oh I also know what most of the 'stuff' does generally :lol:)
Mrs Marvin xx[/quote]

Busted! :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1108049' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:37 PM']She (meaning me!) reads these from time to time :) No I'm not planning on extending the family! I was just curious (ok nosey) and Mr M didn't think many would reply.
( oh I also know what most of the 'stuff' does generally :lol:)
Mrs Marvin xx[/quote]

ROTFPMSL You've made my day. Although I will admit I'm easily pleased.

You can never have too much Gaffa tape, too many spare strings or 9v batteries. But it is a very personal thing so I tend to ask my wife for specifics or I end up with some very nice well meant things but I would have bought different ones. So maybe I'm not that easily pleased :)

Backup bass
Spare lead for every lead I use, inc power lead for amp
Torch
Spare set of used strings (don`t like new strings)
Basic tool kit, inc screwdrivers, allen keys
Sansamp BDDI
Indigestion tablets (I have an ulcer)
Gaffa tape
Spare tie - we`re a very smart band :)

[quote name='charic' post='1108058' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:42 PM']Busted! :)[/quote]

[quote name='TimR' post='1108076' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:54 PM']ROTFPMSL You've made my day. Although I will admit I'm easily pleased.

You can never have too much Gaffa tape, too many spare strings or 9v batteries. But it is a very personal thing so I tend to ask my wife for specifics or I end up with some very nice well meant things but I would have bought different ones. So maybe I'm not that easily pleased :D[/quote]

That'll teach me to remain logged and leave the computer unattended :lol:

To her credited Mrs M did buy me my ZoomB2.1u which was very nice of her - useful but not essential :

Gaffa tape maybe an idea.

Mrs M has been mixing with a basschat member on FaceBook - she may be a bad influence, you know who you are :)

On a gig:
Spare strings x2
Spare strap
Spare Bass
Small & large flat head screwdriver
Philips screwdriver
Variety of fuses
Spare battery
Ear plugs
2x XLR lead
2x power lead
4x Jack to Jack lead
2x XLR to jack lead
Soldering iron
Spare speaker lead
Pen and paper
Polishing cloth
Wire cutters
XLR to Jack adaptor
XLR M/F adaptor
Spare Mic

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1108052' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:39 PM']Judging by my wife's views on cars, I've usually managed to avoid the scenario above by pointing out that red basses sound different to blue ones ...[/quote]

:) :)

I'll have that :lol:

A DI pedal seems to have been left out of the essentials kit. Easier to carry around than a spare amp.

Edited by fatback

Normal gig:

Capacitors / Resistors - various
Speaker re-coning kit
Fretwire and fret press
Bessemer converter
Sun block (5l.)
Pyjamas - paisley
Corby trouser press
Holy water / garlic / silver bullets
Portable gallows
Circumcision knife
Mars bar

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1108139' date='Jan 30 2011, 02:01 PM']Normal gig:

Capacitors / Resistors - various
Speaker re-coning kit
Fretwire and fret press
Bessemer converter
Sun block (5l.)
Pyjamas - paisley
Corby trouser press
Holy water / garlic / silver bullets
Portable gallows
Circumcision knife
Mars bar[/quote]

And thumbscrews to extract dosh out of reluctant promoter.
Plus wheelbarrow in which to transport pissed drummer after gig. Or before gig. :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1108034' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:22 PM']Some have mentioned earplugs.... For rehearsals yes, gigs no. What does it say to your audience if the band are wearing them?[/quote]

That we care about the state of our hearing? :) If they think anything else I couldn't give a toss, frankly.

I use my Korg PX4D for practice, it's an awesome bit of kit and dirt cheap as well. Usually take it to gigs and warm up in the van before we start! Other than that:

Multiple jack leads and patch cables
Spare strings
Pliers
[b]GUITAR STAND[/b]
Emergency smokes, as someone mentioned before
Red bull more often... and then a lot of water

etc.

I'll chuck in my £0.02 worth if I may?

Obvious: Bass (in soft carry bag, with strap and gel pad), Combo or Amp + Cab, long guitar lead with R/A connector (I would suggest that this is essential, especially if the output jack is on the side), mains leads for amp/combo (plus a spare), mains 4-way block or extension lead, SansAmp pedal, Tuner, short patch leads, XLR cable, Speakon cable or two.

Don't normally take a spare set of strings, but sometimes a whole spare bass (in a different tuning as well, helps on certain songs).

Some bits that usually make their way into the gig-bag: Pozi-drive screwdriver, Allen keys, spare batteries, plec's, cloth (to wipe sweaty strings down after the gig - you'd be amazed at the gunk that comes off of your hands during a long set), earplugs, and a couple of pens (black and red usually).

I also take a couple of guitar stands and a collapsable music stand for my music folder.

That's generally it. Over the years it's evolved to include all of the above, especially in the light of experience.

HTH, Ian

Edited by Bottle

I take earplugs to see bands as an audience member too. Can you see if anyone is wearing docs proplugs from the stage? If you can your sight is better than most. They dont take anything other than the fizz away and its so satisfying when you get in the car and take them out to find no nasty whistles going on but you usually have to put them back in after as everyone else in the car has gone deaf and are shouting all the way home!