Why become a member? ×

Dilemma! Would like opinions... with poll :)

Evil Undead

Hey everyone, would love to get some input on my situation here, as I need some convincing either way as to what I should do!

Shortened story... I bought my Warwick Corvette $$ last April, cost a small fortune and it's a stunning bass. Sounds great, plays great, the quality is obvious.

My problem? That because it cost so much and I am poor, I don't use it except for playing it at home. Don't take it to practice or gigs in case it's broken or stolen... it's insured, but you know how the insurance companies like to dodge paying out for anything! And I don't live in the best area and am constantly worried about it being stolen from my house.

So I'm wondering if I should just sell it on. I could use the cash at the moment as I've got a gig coming up and am questioning the reliability of my amp, and have no money to buy a new one.

My Kramer bass does everything I need it to do at my level of playing. I'm so torn cos I love the Warwick to bits, just can't justify it.

Thoughts?

Edited by Evil Undead

If you're not really getting much use out of owning the bass it seems a little pointless keeping it, especially as it seems to be a source of worry. If you don't need the bass but do need a reliable amp it seems a bit of a no brainer really. There will always be other Warwicks once you're a bit more flush.

Unfortunately the s/h prices of Warwicks are quite low at the moment so you might not make as much cash out of the sale as you'd like.

In your position, in a gigging band, I`d rather have an amp I knew I could rely on at the gigs, than a bass I wouldn`t rely on, as it was a bass I never took out of the house. I understand entirely the dilemma ( I recently sold two insruments that had a lot of sentimental value), but here in my view its a case of need rather than want, and the Warwick is surplus to your needs at present.

Whilst you will make a loss, as everyone who buys new/sells used does (except it seems for Rickenbackers) you`ll be able to source a good amp and probably have cash left over for any unforseen non-bass eventualities.

Your dilemma seems to be keeping something you clearly value (not only becuase of its financial value) and the immediate(?) need for cash..

In the short term it may seem like a good idea to sell the Warwick and take the hit of losing many hundreds of pounds (I'm in a similar situation with my Warwick Dolphin) but long term you know that you'll regret it. There is a chance that Warwick prices will recover (it could only take one good endorsement deal for them to come back into fashion) and then you will be kicking yourself.

How many times have you read.."I wish I kept that...but I was skint at the time", only to find that the instrument they're talking about is now a valuable, sought after item??

I'd be inclined to hold out till prices on Warwicks do improve (which is what I'm doing) and if necessary borrow gear till you can afford to buy a more reliable amp..

Unless you have surplus cash (which you don't) having a bass that is so precious you won't take to gigs is just daft. Either go and batter it off some walls to get over it and use it or sell it.

Excuse brutal bluntness :)

Amps are much more complicated things than basses. I would only have one bass but I would never not have a backup/reliable amp.

This time last year I was skint.
I sold a jazz that I had owned for nearly 30 years. It was too valuable to gig anymore and too valuable to sit in the house.
I now have 3 recent-ish workhorse basses that were relatively inexpensive that do as good a job as I am capable of producing.
I also have a '76 Rickenfaker which is the least used and will probably be going to help fund a second Orange cab.
I used to get emotionally attached, but not any longer.
I hope circumstance get better for you (bloody hell, there's a lot of "I" in that :) ).
Good luck,
Karl.

My $$ is an amazing bass and been my main bass for about three years. It's amazing player, sounds, construction, quality, etc. I just fancy a change though. Selling my Corvette fretless too.

It's plain daft though that you are afraid of using it for its intended purpose. Getting out of bed in the morning presents all sorts of risks to your person too, as does staying IN bed. But you still have to get out your house even if you run the risk of getting knocked down by a skip lorry, being dive-bombed by a rogue sparrowhawk, or being raped by a football presenter.

You will get very little back for your investment, SH Warwick prices are terrible. What I've let mine go for is very sad, but I'm cool with it because I will get a new bit of beautifully painted wood with some strings on it.

Use it, enjoy it, make incredible sounds with it. Or sell it and buy a Squier and a pair of new shoes with the cash you get for it.

I'd say keep the Warwick. If your only dilemma is what to do for the gig - could you borrow an amp from someone? If it's just for one gig it should be sortable. If it's a long term gig, residency, etc, then that's a different story.

BUT - if you keep the Warwick then bloody well use the thing. Take it out and take care of it. It was made to be played, not pampered.

If your current amp is unreliable - how about selling the Kramer and using the money to get the amp serviced? Might be little more than a dodgy part somewhere and the repair charge mightn't be as steep as you think. Personally I'd rather borrow £30 or whatever for a repair bill than lose several hundred or close to it in selling a bass - and then you still have an amp to sort out.

DOH!!!!!! I just voted for you to sell it - my mistake. Clearly want you to keep it, and clearly can't read things properly.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

If you don't use it, then there's no point having it. Sorry mate, I'd sell it. I've got one bass and one amp - both are expensive, but I can justify the outlay as they got constant, regular use. I had this dilema a while ago. I sold off everything I wasn't using and bought kit that I use all the time now. Just makes more sense, also Mrs_5 doesn't complain too much of having kit all over the house anymore. Win all round

Take it out for a couple of gigs, chain it to your arm if you have too. Then take the Kramer out and see how you feel.

Obv if your amp blows up then that doesn't really matter either way :)

If the Kramer truly is doing all the Warwick does, then by all means sell it, but to me it feels like you haven't given it a chance in a gig situation

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1107955' date='Jan 30 2011, 11:26 AM']Yeah, that's an issue. It is german made so will be worth more than a very recent one, but still... it's a lot of money to make a big loss on[/quote]

The $$ is still made in Germany.

I haven't voted because I'm in the same boat - Corvette Standard (German), my Squier P does all I need it to, need a new amp and have no cash (and not much on the horizon). Regularly think about selling the Warwick but every time I get it out to take some pics I realise what a great bass it is, give it a quick play, wax it and put it back in the case. Mad to keep it and not use for what it was made for, mad to sell it at current prices.

Tough one ain't it? :) now you see why I'm so torn

Main reason for needing a new amp isn't just because of reliability but many that I'm using a hossing great heavy combo which isn't easy when you use it every week and live on the 2nd floor. Made even worse by my back and wrist problems... So I need a smaller, lighter amp to save doing myself an injury.

So, I can't afford the amp I want without the Warwick going, just don't seem to be able to pull the trigger...

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1108906' date='Jan 30 2011, 11:45 PM']Tough one ain't it? :) now you see why I'm so torn

Main reason for needing a new amp isn't just because of reliability but many that I'm using a hossing great heavy combo which isn't easy when you use it every week and live on the 2nd floor. Made even worse by my back and wrist problems... So I need a smaller, lighter amp to save doing myself an injury.

So, I can't afford the amp I want without the Warwick going, just don't seem to be able to pull the trigger...[/quote]

My symapathies, I'm on the fifth floor, but do have a lift :) Slightly different reasons for needing a new amp (I just need more loudness - quite a lot more), but also I can't get excited about amps the way I do about basses.

Doh, i just voted the wrong way also. I really thought i'd read it, but then just went over my opinion in my head to check it out, and then clicked yes to agree with myself.

So i say keep it. I agree that you should be able to pick up a used amp for alot less than the loss you'll make selling this now.

However, use it, don't worry about little dings etc. (it just adds character and memories to the bass, specially if it's wood finished), just get the first one out teh way and then you'll feel better after a few days. Also, if you're really worried about your insurance company paying out from previous expereinces, then change insurer. I'm happy that almost any claim i make with my insurer will be paid promptly from previous experience. Although it may not be the cheapest, what's the point in having cheap insurance that won't pay out?!

So NO, don't sell.

What amp have you got ?

What's actually wrong with it ?

A quick 10 seconds in the 'amps for sale' section and there's this

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119691"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119691[/url]

Pretty cheap, and would be easier to carry around.

I know absolutely nothing about you, or your situation. Do you drink or smoke ? How many times a week do you go out ? Do you buy junk food out ?

If you've answered yes to the above questions then don't for a few weeks, and save the money for a new amp.

Maybe you could borrow or hire an amp for your gig ? Ask at your rehearsal studio. I dare say that if your gig is at night time on a Friday or Saturday then the studio would be shut then, lots of rooms with amps in doing nothing.

What I'm saying is that if you really love the bass, don't sell it. Sell your other bass instead, if you really need to sell something. Use the Warwick, but be careful with it.
I have some nice basses, but I use all of them, they're still 'as new'. Instruments don't have to get knocked about. In the 90's I gigged a Jaydee for almost 10 years, I was playing up to three times a week with it, doing some very intense gigs. It was as new when I sold it to buy something else.

That amp in your link is certainly awesome value for money! But the issue that I have is that I have a great combo amp at the moment, plenty loud enough etc, but it's just too heavy. it weighs 60lbs, which is the same as that cab in the thread. If I was fitter and healthier, I wouldn't bat an eyelid at that weight, but I have back and wrist problems, and want to avoid injuring myself any further by lugging around stuff that's way too heavy for me :)

I'm definitely gonna see if there are ways of going about everything without selling the Warwick, but it might be that I need to. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't really go out much, maybe once every couple of months, don't get takeaways often... it's just that money's tight at the moment.