Why become a member? ×

Dilemma! Would like opinions... with poll :)

Evil Undead

Great thread!

A few years ago (actually quite a few years ago, about 15 I think) I was in the same boat. I was a bit short of cash, wasn't in a band and decided to sell my 78 Precision. I took it to the shop that I had bought it from some 15 years earlier and they offered me peanuts saying "nobody wants 'em nowdays mate" I decided to keep the bass and find some cash some other way. I managed to hang onto the bass and when I got back into playing and joined a band, I had a great bass and amp and realised hanging on to them was the right thing to do.

The bass is now worth 6-7 times the amount they offered me and I could probably get back what I paid for the amp too.

Times have changed a bit for me too, while I'm not rich, or even well off, I've managed to buy a few more basses over the years and my current gigging bass is a great £200 yamaha I won on ebay. Its a good bass and I don't worry about taking it to pub gigs etc. I now have a German made corvette and the Precision sitting at home, neither of them get played much anymore and I have the same dilemma as you, to sell or not to sell?

There doesn't seem much point in keeping basses that aren't used, but bringing yourself to sell them is sometimes difficult.....

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1110029' date='Jan 31 2011, 08:24 PM']How much of a financial hit are we talking, if I were to sell it?

How much would I be looking to get for a 2009 $$ ? Bearing in mind that they're around £1100 new, and that's on the cheapest online stores.[/quote]

Looking at recent prices, between £400 and £600 for a $$ depending on finish, condition, original owners kit, case candy etc etc.

And, the for sale forum is getting busier with Warwicks every day :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1110086' date='Jan 31 2011, 08:43 PM']Great thread!

A few years ago (actually quite a few years ago, about 15 I think) I was in the same boat. I was a bit short of cash, wasn't in a band and decided to sell my 78 Precision. I took it to the shop that I had bought it from some 15 years earlier and they offered me peanuts saying "nobody wants 'em nowdays mate" I decided to keep the bass and find some cash some other way. I managed to hang onto the bass and when I got back into playing and joined a band, I had a great bass and amp and realised hanging on to them was the right thing to do.

The bass is now worth 6-7 times the amount they offered me and I could probably get back what I paid for the amp too.

Times have changed a bit for me too, while I'm not rich, or even well off, I've managed to buy a few more basses over the years and my current gigging bass is a great £200 yamaha I won on ebay. Its a good bass and I don't worry about taking it to pub gigs etc. I now have a German made corvette and the Precision sitting at home, neither of them get played much anymore and I have the same dilemma as you, to sell or not to sell?

There doesn't seem much point in keeping basses that aren't used, but bringing yourself to sell them is sometimes difficult.....[/quote]

I stupidly sold my '78 US Precision a few years before you looked at selling yours. They'd been out of fashion for a good few years and everyone wanted Jazzes, Stingrays and Warwicks. I got just over £200. 3 tone sunburst, all original. If I only I'd kept it....., but hey that's the benefit of hindsight.

[quote name='clauster' post='1110170' date='Jan 31 2011, 09:17 PM']I stupidly sold my '78 US Precision a few years before you looked at selling yours. They'd been out of fashion for a good few years and everyone wanted Jazzes, Stingrays and Warwicks. I got just over £200. 3 tone sunburst, all original. If I only I'd kept it....., but hey that's the benefit of hindsight.[/quote]

Thats what they offered me, £40 less than I paid for it in 1979.... Actually, they didn't offer me anything, thats what they valued it at (they didn't really want to buy it) I'm glad I kept it, but am thinking of selling it again now. Not cos I need the money, just because I hardly ever play it and it seems a shame to keep it in a case doing nothing....

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1109990' date='Jan 31 2011, 08:06 PM']That amp in your link is certainly awesome value for money! But the issue that I have is that I have a great combo amp at the moment, plenty loud enough etc, but it's just too heavy. it weighs 60lbs, which is the same as that cab in the thread. If I was fitter and healthier, I wouldn't bat an eyelid at that weight, but I have back and wrist problems, and want to avoid injuring myself any further by lugging around stuff that's way too heavy for me :)

I'm definitely gonna see if there are ways of going about everything without selling the Warwick, but it might be that I need to. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't really go out much, maybe once every couple of months, don't get takeaways often... it's just that money's tight at the moment.[/quote]
Keep your Wick, and get a POD X3 LIVE. Save your back and sound like anything you want to sound like. That's what I did and although I'm selling and buying basses constantly it seems, that POD is going nowhere. It's an awesome bit of kit, at home, in the studio and on stage.

[quote name='silddx' post='1110298' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:22 PM']Keep your Wick, and get a POD X3 LIVE. Save your back and sound like anything you want to sound like. That's what I did and although I'm selling and buying basses constantly it seems, that POD is going nowhere. It's an awesome bit of kit, at home, in the studio and on stage.[/quote]

Sounds cool. How would that work? Through the pa?

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1110332' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:42 PM']Sounds cool. How would that work? Through the pa?[/quote]
Yes, I DI (single channel via an XLR) into the PA and get some bass through the monitors. Although, at one or two small gigs, there are not many monitors so I have to compromise occasionally and not hear myself very well.

An option I considered was to get a monitor like a Mackie SRM, but I can't be arsed to carry that bugger about on the off chance I might need it. It depends on the sort of gigs you do I suppose.

I've never had or wanted a bass amp.

The only thing with the POD is to make sure you level balance your patches and not go overboard with the low freqs in your eq. There's a headphone out on it to do that. I have a titchy studio so I do it all on the monitors via my desk, it's like a mini PA.

You can configure the POD X3 LIVE in loads of ways and there is very little you can't connect to it, or connect it to. Tons of options. I do lots of gigs in London and can get to anything by public transport with a bass and my POD on my shoulders.

Wickid!

sllddx's advice about PODs may be good so +1

but.... if you really like the bass, just go sell the kramner and force yourself to play the 'wick
i think based on the amount of money you will loose selling the thing you would be better to just get over the fear of damaging it.

Sounds to me, from the way you worded your OP, that you already know what to do but can't bring yourself to part with it. It's a bit like staying in a bad relationship that you know is doomed, purely because the girl's [i]really[/i] pretty & great in bed :)

If I'm right, man up and do something about it. You'll be happier afterwards because it's the right thing to do on several levels, and your back will thank you too.
But if you keep it, use it! The way I see things, it's pointless owning a great instrument like that if you're going to deny yourself the enjoyment of playing it - and I mean [i]playing[/i] it. Take care of it, sure, but take it out and gig with it.

Just my 2p.