Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='Bankai' post='1113573' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:28 AM']This upsets me. Generally the feedback has been good with only a couple of people reporting bad experiences.

I was planning on a tele but I'm now worried it'll not be worth the £59, what to do...[/quote]

I've put a few mates onto these, one ordered the Tele (should be here today) and the other got the Strat. The fret wire issue is worrying, still the loaded body will fetch a few quid on fleabay if it's no good.

I've nicknamed the Strat the Lollercaster as when my mate was opening it he cut his hand open (don't know how but he did!) so he has a new guitar he can't physically play and has missed practice this week!

My navy blue (Dark Ryder) just arrived. Came with decent gig bag, strap, lead and Allen keys.
I was surprised to find it had a maple fb as I hadn't given a preference and was expecting rosewood , which I prefer.
Both pots work well and it sounds ok-ish with the supplied strings.
The neck is nice and straight and I was amazed to find the intonation only needs a little adjustment.
The neck is a little chunky for my taste, I plan to fit a JV Squier fretless neck, let's hope it fits.
All in all, for the price of a couple of sets of strings, this really is a no brainer.
Almost forgot, the dark see-through navy gloss stain looks amazing, you can just about see the wood grain through it.
Worth the money for the body alone.

Steve.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1113741' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:29 PM']A lot of you mentioned that you had to email for the bags etc. Did you do this pre-ordering or just send one to their support after?[/quote]

I just ordered mine without comment and it turned up with lead, strap, gigbag but unfortunately missing the saddle allen key (no biggie - but could someone let me know the size???). Think it's just hit or miss B.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1113796' date='Feb 3 2011, 01:07 PM']I just ordered mine without comment and it turned up with lead, strap, gigbag but unfortunately missing the saddle allen key (no biggie - but could someone let me know the size???). Think it's just hit or miss B.[/quote]

Have you looked in the bag with the lead? That's where mine were hiding.
If no joy then the saddles are 1/16 inch and the truss rod is 5/32 inch.
Hope you find them.

Steve.

Mines just arrived. Less of a navy blue colour and more turquoise! The pickup cutout is a bit off and the action is monstrously high even with all the saddles lowered right down, so it's going to need a shim. I got a maple fretboard, which I'm chuffed with as I believe this is one of the last. One thing that has amazed me is the grain on the headstock! It's crazy! Extends to the back of the neck too.

I haven't plugged it in yet as i'm at work but already have plans to stick flatwounds on and find myself a replacement pup.

[attachment=71033:photo.JPG] [attachment=71034:photo1.JPG]

Edited by allighatt0r

My Navy one just arrived, along with a gigbag, strap, lead and allen key. I'm at work, so can't fiddle too much, but it seems well put together for £60, although the neck width is a bit industrial compared to my Geddy Lee!

Obligatory rubbish camera phone photo...

[quote name='tom1946' post='1113922' date='Feb 3 2011, 02:39 PM']Re the g*itars, I said earlier that they are awful things, the acoustic versions will keep the fire burning for ten minutes or so :)[/quote]

Depends on your view of awful. I reckon a string thru, solid wood tele body with some bits and bobs attached to keep it going while you save for upgrades is worth 60 quid of anyones money.
Certainly saved me the time and effort I was going to put in converting my old 71 antoria to string thru.
Frets might not be so bad, I belive they are also known as "vintage" frets, rather than my usual description of crappy, skinny, mandolin wire. Some people like them.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1113733' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:25 PM']Nothing amazing, but based on what others had said I was expecting something usable.[/quote]

I am sure it will be usable.
Even if the fretwire is not the best, it will be usable. I think sometimes people look for exquisit details when it's a little out of place.
The day back in '95 when I bought my 7 year old Fiat Uno I bought a perfectly useable and nice car, it served me well. But it didn't have ABS. The gearbox was clunky. The wheel rims were not fantastic. There were vibrations/noises in the car... It was a cheap car and I loved it
:)

That's what I was referring to.

Of course I expect something that *works*. It's sold as a guitar, not decoration. But we can't expect £600-worth quality in £60, that's all :)

[quote name='pikeman' post='1113734' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:26 PM']My navy blue (Dark Ryder) just arrived. Came with decent gig bag, strap, lead and Allen keys.
I was surprised to find it had a maple fb as I hadn't given a preference and was expecting rosewood , which I prefer.
Both pots work well and it sounds ok-ish with the supplied strings.
The neck is nice and straight and I was amazed to find the intonation only needs a little adjustment.
The neck is a little chunky for my taste, I plan to fit a JV Squier fretless neck, let's hope it fits.
All in all, for the price of a couple of sets of strings, this really is a no brainer.
Almost forgot, the dark see-through navy gloss stain looks amazing, you can just about see the wood grain through it.
Worth the money for the body alone.

Steve.[/quote]

I'll get your maple neck off you!!!!!!!!!! pleeeease :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1113965' date='Feb 3 2011, 03:12 PM']I am sure it will be usable.
Even if the fretwire is not the best, it will be usable. I think sometimes people look for exquisit details when it's a little out of place.
The day back in '95 when I bought my 7 year old Fiat Uno I bought a perfectly useable and nice car, it served me well. But it didn't have ABS. The gearbox was clunky. The wheel rims were not fantastic. There were vibrations/noises in the car... It was a cheap car and I loved it
:)

That's what I was referring to.

Of course I expect something that *works*. It's sold as a guitar, not decoration. But we can't expect £600-worth quality in £60, that's all :)[/quote]

+1

Can I also point out that I drive a hyundai accent that my gran gave me when she stopped driving last year. It works, all the time. But it is not a ferrari.
This Tele (more on it tommorrow folks) is similar. :lol:

Well,

mine is going to get its first gig tonite - it'll be going in the place of the Epi EBO that I've just sold (used for the more 'lively' gigs).

I've really enjoyed messing about with it this week to get the action and intonation something like and the pickup squared up to give a more even string response. So the nuts 'funky', the finish a bit industrial and the neck less stable than I'm used to BUT then I remeber I could get 20+ of these things for the cost of my MM or Status.

So....no complaints here.

[quote name='ben604' post='1114115' date='Feb 3 2011, 04:44 PM']I doubt a bandsaw would go through it, the neck's at least 48 miles thick![/quote]

Haha yeah it is (and I quite dig it!), but the headstock looks like it's not much harder than balsa wood...

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1114085' date='Feb 3 2011, 04:24 PM']I wonder how tough it would be getting the headstock to look a bit more fender-y... :)[/quote]

I think your best bet is to stick with a '51P headstock shape because a more tradition shape might be a bit thin...

[attachment=71057:head.jpg]

Edited by Ghost_Bass

My white one just arrived :) Pickguard is a bit blueish :D built well, light bass, neck is actually fairly small not quite jazz but fairly fast. Wasnt set up well out the case but ive got it ok for a first time setting up a bass :)

Came with gigbag, lead, 2 allen keys.

Great bass for £60 and i plan to pimp it to the max when funds allow :lol:

Guys

The strings are totally awful. Change the strings and it will make a HUGE difference believe me.

With respect to the action. I had real problems with a neck that had no stability and a trussrod that rather than reduce the relief to address the action issue actually started to come out of the back of the neck :)

Maybe I was unlucky (try applying pressure to the headstock and see how much the strings move away from the fretboard) but personally I found the neck to be the weak point of the bass and then again anyone can make a body and fit bits to it but making a decent neck takes a lot more skill.

Hence:

Peter