Why become a member? ×

Avoid Silverstone Amp Covers

gazza70

Hey Fellow Bassists

Would like to share my bad experience dealing with Silverston/Shaun Dunk!

After buying a cover for my Hartke 4x10 a couple of years ago and upgrading to a Eden Nemsis EN410 XST I ordered a cover back in June 2010 and paid £45. Emails then exhanged to discuss exact dimensions, okay I thought as wanted the cover to fit my cab as it was getting damaged every week in the band van.

Finally after emails and phonecalls a cover arrived 29TH AUGUST, the label on the inside of the cover stated NC410 and of course did not fit my cab!!

Whilst waiting for the cover to arrive i sent several emails stating i wanted to cancel my order and go elsewhere as it was taking too long to arrive, in the end they did not pay any attention to my emails regarding dimensions and I received this cheeky email:

Hello Gary

Technically you have what you have ordered a cover for a Eden NC410
The reason why we don’t list a cover for the Eden EN410XST is because we don’t make a cover for it.
We are happy on occasions to make custom covers but we need reliable measurement or else we end up carrying the can.
Please ship the cover back, we will refund postage, with dimensions and we will make you a custom cover.

Regards
Shaun (Silverstone)

So I sent the cover back with my details asking for a full refund and paid recorded delivery. Then nothing............so contacted my local trading standards office who tried to communicate with them but still no refund.

Small claims court now with a running total of £80 claimed, £45 + £10 delivery +£25 small claims - still nothing...

This guy clearly does not care about his paying customers unless its a easy cover for him to make. Please use other British company's such as hotcovers this guy does not deserve your business.

Will keep you posted.
G

This isn't the first time that Silversone have been upsetting customers. There's another thread on the forum with some stories of woe on it. Sorry to hear of your woes, I hope that you get your money back!

[quote name='dood' post='1103020' date='Jan 26 2011, 12:12 AM']This isn't the first time that Silversone have been upsetting customers. There's another thread on the forum with some stories of woe on it. Sorry to hear of your woes, I hope that you get your money back![/quote]

Thanks dood, its more the principle of this guy bassicaly ripping off musicians and providing bad service with little communication. No wonder we shop abroad for stuff...
G

when i first bought my marshall 450 head his website said he made the cover for it so i placed my order.the fist cover he sent was for a marshall guitar amp so i sent it back then another wrong cover arrived it went back.i then got an email off him saying could i give him the exact dimensions for the head as he had never made one before.he got it right third time but i wont use them again

I`d recommend Hot Covers for this type of product. Great product, and swift turnaround - mine turned up 4 days after prdering, in the midst of all the snow last December. Hot Covers are in Scotland, but still managed to get my item to me in 4 days. i was impressed.

[quote name='gazza70' post='1103013' date='Jan 26 2011, 12:04 AM']I ordered a cover back in June 2010 and paid £45 . . . .[/quote]

Out of interest, how did you pay?

This is where credit cards are invaluable. First, even if there are delivery delays, the card should not be charged until the goods are shipped. If they are, then simply notify the card company that you haven't received the goods and they will put the payment on hold. If you never receive the goods you won't have to pay the card company.

Second, the Distance Selling Regulations exist specifically because anyone buying something by mail order (or online as it's called these days) is not able to fully examine the goods to determine their fitness for your intended purpose. The regulations therefore give the buyer the legal right to return the goods [u]for whatever reason[/u] and to get a full refund.

Again, the credit card is your friend in such cases. All you have to do is return the goods and they should then credit your card. If they do not do this then, again. simply notify the card company and they will put the transaction on hold and refund you any payment you may already have made.

I can't imagine ever buying anything online (or pretty much anywhere else) without using a credit card. I pay the monthly statement in full, so I never incur any interest and my current card pays me 1% cashback on everything I spend every month. Protection, convenience and a discount - what's not to like?

MB1. :)
Never had any Problems with these guys! had several covers made! A1 Excellent covers and Top Notch customer Service! :)
ROQSOLID

www.roqsolid.co.uk ............ Contact Bryn on 07748155864
Contact Lee on 07929253434

Roqsolid
Unit 8f
Carr Mills Business Centre
919 Bradford road
Birstall
West Yorkshire
WF17 9JX.

And before you ask ! i dont work for them no!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='MB1' post='1103371' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:31 AM']MB1. :)
Never had any Problems with these guys! had several covers made! A1 Excellent covers and Top Notch customer Service! :)
ROQSOLID

Roqsolid
Unit 8f
919 Bradford road
Birstall
West Yorkshire
WF17 9JX.

And before you ask ! i dont work for them no![/quote]

Yes, Bryn was very helpful! Though I sold my cab before getting a cover!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1103142' date='Jan 26 2011, 07:42 AM']I`d recommend Hot Covers for this type of product. Great product, and swift turnaround - mine turned up 4 days after prdering, in the midst of all the snow last December. Hot Covers are in Scotland, but still managed to get my item to me in 4 days. i was impressed.[/quote]

+1, I rec'd excellent service from Hot Covers.

When I bought my MB combo I wanted a cover for it, websearch & found Roqsilid & ordered online.
The chap there called me & said that they hadn't made one before, took all the dimensions & asked what colour of piping I would like. He called me with updates & when I got the cover it fitted perfectly (& still does). Very happy :)

Never knew about Hot Covers until now, so might give them a try next time.

I posted about great servive from Hot Covers yesterday.

I have also had covers from roqsolid, and they were very helpfull, did a mod for free, and made good a seam coming undone without a quibble.

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1103323' date='Jan 26 2011, 10:58 AM']Out of interest, how did you pay?

This is where credit cards are invaluable. First, even if there are delivery delays, the card should not be charged until the goods are shipped. If they are, then simply notify the card company that you haven't received the goods and they will put the payment on hold. If you never receive the goods you won't have to pay the card company.

Second, the Distance Selling Regulations exist specifically because anyone buying something by mail order (or online as it's called these days) is not able to fully examine the goods to determine their fitness for your intended purpose. The regulations therefore give the buyer the legal right to return the goods [u]for whatever reason[/u] and to get a full refund.

Again, the credit card is your friend in such cases. All you have to do is return the goods and they should then credit your card. If they do not do this then, again. simply notify the card company and they will put the transaction on hold and refund you any payment you may already have made.

I can't imagine ever buying anything online (or pretty much anywhere else) without using a credit card. I pay the monthly statement in full, so I never incur any interest and my current card pays me 1% cashback on everything I spend every month. Protection, convenience and a discount - what's not to like?[/quote]

Yep good point, i paid using my bank account visa debit card, silverstone have a online payment link which is not connected to visa or any other reputable company as I did look into that option. Had I known then what I know now i would have used my credit card but hindsight is a wonderful thing...

I quoted the Distance selling regulation in my correspondance with Silverstone, not that it has made any difference as they just ignore any communication. Hopefully my small claims action will get a response.
Cheers

G

ROQSOLID

Roqsolid
Unit 8f
919 Bradford road
Birstall
West Yorkshire
WF17 9JX.

Cheers for the info, will speak to them when I receive refund (!!!)
G

ROQSOLID

Roqsolid
Unit 8f
919 Bradford road
Birstall
West Yorkshire
WF17 9JX.

I don't work for them either & I think they are brilliant. I've bought about 5 times now & they messed up the last order. I was immediately despatched a replacement before I sent back the original. refunded my postage and had a phone call apology. I would always use and recommend them.

And re the original post, I'm afraid I too have been messed around by Shaun Dunk. At least I now know it wasn't personal since coming to Basschat!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1103323' date='Jan 26 2011, 10:58 AM']Out of interest, how did you pay?

I can't imagine ever buying anything online (or pretty much anywhere else) without using a credit card. I pay the monthly statement in full, so I never incur any interest and my current card pays me 1% cashback on everything I spend every month. Protection, convenience and a discount - what's not to like?[/quote]

I also got stuck with Silverstone for months.

I thought I could make an equal liability claim with my credit card but distance selling doesn't reimburse items under £100 (section 75).

I think it would have been quicker to be refunded from a PayPal payment because dealing with Shaun is like talking to a brick wall.

All my credit card company could do was forward my claim to a dept who would assist me. In the end it was better to go with the small claims court as it was a shoe-in case and I stood to claim reimbursement for my extra costs.

He eventually coughed shortly after a final written warning. The transaction started in October 2010 and I eventually got refunded in January 2011.

This may have been covered before - if you have trouble with goods ordered under £100 hence not specifically covered by section 75 you can invoke a chargeback claim. I've done this where a trader failed to provide the goods within 28 days hence breach of contract and it worked no problem. The link below explains all.

[url="http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/"]http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sal...nd-debit-cards/[/url]

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1146506' date='Mar 1 2011, 10:15 PM']This may have been covered before - if you have trouble with goods ordered under £100 hence not specifically covered by section 75 you can invoke a chargeback claim. I've done this where a trader failed to provide the goods within 28 days hence breach of contract and it worked no problem. The link below explains all.

[url="http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/"]http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sal...nd-debit-cards/[/url][/quote]

Great to know, thanks.

ROQSOLID

Roqsolid
Unit 8f
919 Bradford road
Birstall
West Yorkshire
WF17 9JX.

I have a cover from these guys; I dealt with Bryn throughout, emails were slow to reply - he blamed a computer crash which could happen, but it's such a common excuse off dodgy companies that I was left wondering. However, all turned out well in the end, I was his first Hiwatt 4123 cab that he made a cover for, so it's my measurements that's on the one on Ebay now. Fits like a glove (it was right first time too), fantastic quality & an excellent price. I'm considering having covers made for a couple of combos and wouldn't go to anyone else but Roqsolid.

• 1 month later...
:)
Hi, Hope you don`t mind me adding my recent experience with Silverstone Amp Covers. Paid £43 to purchase cover for XT Club amp cover. Hoped for 5 day deliver as advertised on Web. After two weeks attempted to contact to clarify reason for delay. Over the next two weeks received no reply to 10 emails and approx 20 messages left on mobile answer machine. Paypal claim raised and two days prior to paypal refunding I was contacted with an excuse that they`d run out of red and was offered a free upgrade. Fortunately during the previous 5 weeks of researching this company I found that this was his Typical M.O and that neither the original nor the Upgrade would ever be likely to appear. My refund has now been securred through Paypal and the company has been reported to trading standards in Coventry. Wish I`d done a little homework first instead of falling for the Pro looking website. Hope my additional bad experience prevents someone else being scammed by Silverstone amp covers. The web is littered with complaints about this company. Edited by deltablues

• 4 years later...

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1296049569' post='1103630']
I posted about great servive from Hot Covers yesterday.

I have also had covers from roqsolid, and they were very helpfull, did a mod for free, and made good a seam coming undone without a quibble.
[/quote]

So which ones do you prefer?