Why become a member? ×

Pawn Shops

___---___

[quote name='icastle' post='1096880' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:55 PM']I'm sure they must do - isn't that 'Cash Convertors' place that seems to have appeared in most major towns a pawn shop?[/quote]

Yes, they are, but unfortunately, a lot of the time they tend to know how much things are worth so you don't really get too many bargains from them anymore. Having said that, I picked up a lovely Japanese Strat in the Ipswich branch a few years back for £180 - sold it in my shop a few hundred yards away later that week for £399. They also have (or had) a dedicated music outlet in Norwich.

[quote name='razze06' post='1097146' date='Jan 21 2011, 09:44 AM']There's a good one in edinburgh, on queen street. Unfortunately, they seem to do the reasearch and know how much thin gs are worth.[/quote]
Not always! Ibanez Musician (guitar) for £95? :) Also got my CSL JapCrap J there for £60. And a Cimar Jazz for £75...

Last year they had a cheesy Chinese fake Les Paul Supreme in the window for about £1200 - it was there for a while. It's always worth a look in there, one way or the other. :)

Jon.

[quote name='razze06' post='1097146' date='Jan 21 2011, 09:44 AM']There's a good one in edinburgh, on queen street. Unfortunately, they seem to do the reasearch and know how much thin gs are worth.
Often has quite interesting things[/quote]

True indeed, they do have some interesting stuff. I actually think their prices are somewhat extortionate - often 80%+ of what the retail price of a new piece would be. Given that it's 2nd hand with no knowledge of its history, that's asking too much, IMO. There used to be a good one about halfway down Leith Walk. Not sure if it's still there anymore. Was always the place you went to if you had had some gear nicked and wanted to buy it back...

A few months back, a mate tipped me off that there was a BC Rich Ironbird bass (don't laugh) hanigng in my local CC. I hopped over ther to have a look, they wanted a very reasonable £90 for it. The neck was very curved so I enquired about the returns policy, the guy just looked a bit panicked and said I could have it for £50. So I bought it.

Got it home and found out the only reason the neck was so bent was because they had tuned it far too high - it settled back down and its now fine.

So they don't always know what they have!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1097250' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:10 AM']Not always! Ibanez Musician (guitar) for £95? :) Also got my CSL JapCrap J there for £60. And a Cimar Jazz for £75...

Last year they had a cheesy Chinese fake Les Paul Supreme in the window for about £1200 - it was there for a while. It's always worth a look in there, one way or the other. :)

Jon.[/quote]

Fog in hell! I'd better get there double quick with some spare dosh (as if I had any!)

[quote name='Simon.' post='1097255' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:18 AM']There used to be a good one about halfway down Leith Walk. Not sure if it's still there anymore. Was always the place you went to if you had had some gear nicked and wanted to buy it back...[/quote]

Bostons?? Just down from Poundstretchers??? It was a great place but closed by the police (indirectly) many, many years ago.
The one on the other side on Elm Row was also great, Charlie something or other, he moved across to near where Bostons was, then onto Montgomery St for a while, then went altogether when Crack Converters opened down Leith Walk. He once had a 70's Recording Bass in, but the finish was like a smashed car window & he wanted £800 for it.

My "local" CC is in Stevenage - thankfully the staff there aren't too clued up!! They have a German Warwick Streamer ( IMO the ugliest of all the Warwicks) for £200 in blue. Has a string missing which possibly explains why it hadn't sold. They also had Squires and USA Fenders for roughly the same price. Coda Music are just up the road - don't know why they're not in there more often..

I purchased my (near mint) Trace Elliott 715 from there (CC) - after trying it out I told the salesman that I would take it but asked what his best price would be thinking he wouldn't haggle - took £40 off!! That's what I call service..

[quote name='razze06' post='1097146' date='Jan 21 2011, 09:44 AM']There's a good one in edinburgh, on queen street. Unfortunately, they seem to do the reasearch and know how much thin gs are worth.
Often has quite interesting things[/quote]

Yes Duncanson's in Edinburgh. That's where I found my bass when it got stolen and my guitarist's guitar when it got nicked as well.........surprise, surprise .

yes i suppose with the now easy access to the world wide web thing all the info about what stuff is wort is just there in front of them within a few seconds rather than years ago having to go through books or find someone who would know about that sort of stuff! shame really1

For every amazing deal on the shelves of cash converters there is a loser, be it someone to desperate to hold out for a decent 2nd hand sale on a forum or ebay, or its been nicked from someone who works hard to earn a living, I know cause I've been robbed and the police even told me where Id be likely to find my sentimental items should i want them back