Why become a member? ×

Single most important thing you've been taught?

theosd

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='1090419' date='Jan 15 2011, 01:55 PM']If its not fun in the band you are in- leave. Do not hesitate.[/quote]

I'll be taking this advice myself after next Saturdays gig!

As for my own 2p worth..... always tell the guitarist that the rehearsal starts 30 minutes before it actually does....

And Richard Thompson..... "The song is king"

[quote name='Muzz' post='1090848' date='Jan 15 2011, 08:37 PM']If you drop a b*ll*ck onstage...glare at the guitarist BEFORE he glares at you. :)[/quote]

Ha ha i did this very thing the other night and he did a double take lol ! very good advice and loving this thread .

Try to play with people that you think are better than yourself
Dont overplay unless asked (I like that one!)
Look after your bass/gear
The money's in the first 5 frets
It's as much the notes you don't play
Remember to breathe
Play every gig like it was your last....

And remember, unless you're also the frontman/singing bass player it's only other muso's that are looking & judging you (& if they were 'that' good, why haven't they got a gig on the same night?)

Sorry i've run out of cliches! :)

Be true to yourself, your playing and your style. Don't be over-awed by the theorists; in fact, ignore them if you can. If you find someone whose playing you admire try to get close and learn as much as you can from them.

Oh, and buy your round, otherwise people will talk about your parsimony long after they've forgotten how you play.

[quote name='NickH' post='1092394' date='Jan 17 2011, 12:43 PM']Walk softly and carry a big stick :)[/quote]

"It’s a kind of a totemistic thing you know, but to be quite frank with you, it’s come in useful in a couple of situations. Certainly in the topsy, turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is quite often... useful"

Many years ago, a former work colleague introduced me to the concept of "[b]How do you eat an Elephant[/b]?" - it's not about quick results - basically when you start something you stick to it till the end. It's a twist on "[i]Slow and steady will get you there[/i]" - it has helped me to endeavour and set realistic and achieveable targets and not to be perturbed by obstacles or setbacks..Use this phrase with clients in the Substance Misuse field - addiction is a difficult concept to defeat so it is important that they understand "how to eat an elephant"..

Feel free to borrow the idea!!

A good friend and fantastic musician/bass player once said to me:
"Be mindfull of where your notes stop/ give the notes their proper value".

I used to play everything on the back p/u Bap bap. After his wise words i started on the path of getting a great feel and being a more supportive bass player.

From any sort of performing art:

There will always be someone in the audience with more experience than you, and someone else who thinks you're brilliant. Whilst the comments of the latter may help you play again, it is the comments of the former that help you play better!

Cracking thread, Grommit!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1090447' date='Jan 15 2011, 02:22 PM']Don't forget your [b][color="#FF0000"]strap[/color][/b] and lead[/quote]

I did once for a televised slot, and had to use a belt. Since then I've left the strap on my bass all the time.

Advice - always be prepared for what ever you are doing. Covers a lot of ground.

It was mid-1980s and I had hardly played for about two years. I got talking to a saxophonist.

I said 'I used to be a musician.'

He said 'Do you still have your instrument?'

I said 'Yes.'

He said 'Man, you're still a musician, you just ain't getting any better.'

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1093073' date='Jan 17 2011, 08:39 PM']It was mid-1980s and I had hardly played for about two years. I got talking to a saxophonist.

I said 'I used to be a musician.'

He said 'Do you still have your instrument?'

I said 'Yes.'

He said 'Man, you're still a musician, you just ain't getting any better.'[/quote]Wow!

One thing I've learn from my own tortuously slow musical development is that if I don't find anything at all worthwhile in a piece of music, it's because I either don't understand it or |I haven't found the right criteria to judge it on.
Even the most seemingly mediocre piece of disposable pop normally has something in it if I bother to look hard enough. Doesn't mean I have to like it, of course