Why become a member? ×

Single most important thing you've been taught?

theosd

[quote name='funkyhobbit' post='1092960' date='Jan 17 2011, 07:11 PM']A good friend and fantastic musician/bass player once said to me:
"Be mindfull of where your notes stop/ give the notes their proper value".

I used to play everything on the back p/u Bap bap. After his wise words i started on the path of getting a great feel and being a more supportive bass player.[/quote]
I like that, and thegreeks "elephant" one

A lot of good stuff here, and one that keeps cropping up is one I've only just started to achieve: It's only recently that I've learned not to play for myself but for the song and, foremost, the audience. I was getting nowhere fast widdling up and down the fretboard like a guitard and since I've taken a step back I've put the effort in and have subsequently been able to start singing and playing at once - a skill I'd never have learned previously.

[quote name='toneknob' post='1092584' date='Jan 17 2011, 03:06 PM']"It’s a kind of a totemistic thing you know, but to be quite frank with you, it’s come in useful in a couple of situations. Certainly in the topsy, turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is quite often... useful"[/quote]

As long as there's sex and drugs... I can do without the rock and roll

I was told 'if you're going to learn,do it properly'.
Take lessons,get good technique,learn to read,all that kind of stuff-hence the constant learning.

Later on it was stuff like,get to the gig early,dress right,don't be a dick etc.

Make sure your strap is on properly, I once dropped my Bass 5 seconds before the first number, with my amp on and turned up. I just picked it up and glared at the singer . As he had just walked past me it looked like his fault. Serves him right, it was his works do. Lol.

Make sure your flies are done up, its an old one but still good advice.

Dont eat sausages while your on stage, the grease gets on your strings, and they sound dead at the next gig....long story !

Don’t be a dick….cant help with that one !

Edited by Slipperydick