And were in the process of recording.
I've been asked to use a pick as the music we play
Is heavy,prog, it's not sitting right with me but they all
Feel it's will sound better.........
I would love to hear all your thoughts on fingers or pick
If you have time.
Thanks for reading
Mark.

There's a good enough reason to be able to have a working technique with both both your fingers
and a pick.
If you are uncomfortable playing with a pick you would probably be better off playing with your fingers,but at
the same time start practising at home to get your pick chops together.

I'm not a pick player,but during my panto run I had some problems with my middle finger of my plucking hand
(longish story), and decided it would be easier to use pick for a bit. It was a good job that I'd got some pick
chops otherwise I'd have struggled more than was necessary.

When I first started playing bass, I was emulating the Bruce Foxton - Jam sound as he was my hero at 17 years old, so I used a pick from day one.
However, these days mainly play fingerstyle, but can still use a pick when the need arises.
On the original version of "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac, John Mc Vie uses a pick on the bass on the famous F1 bit, but plays fingerstyle on everything else.
If you ever get the chance to hear the live version, he plays it fingerstyle and TBH it sounds terrible :) It just doesnt cut through like the album version.

When I first started playing, I used a pick. Then I switched to fingerstyle, as my bass heroes played like this and I thought it was cool. A few months ago I got asked to dep with a band playing R & B stuff, which was mainly plec based. A couple of numbers in, my hand seized up, as I just wasn't used to it.

I would practise both styles. I you want proof of how good and funky it is to play with a plec, check out Bobby Vega on YouTube.

I struggle with a pick big time, hand seizes up and I feel like I'm holding it all wrong. Been playing with my fingers for 9 years find it hard to change even though I know some things could sound better with a pick. I just try and adjust my finger style and play more towards the bridge. Doesn't sound the same but better than nothing haha.

i started out using a pick, then went to fingerstyle but some songs just need that pick sound so bascially i use both as required.

Being Left handed and playing right handed i don't have a huge amount of speed in my right hand, so if its fast i use a pick :)

I started out 100% pick style, then went totally fingerstyle (and some very bad slap). Now I play both depending on the style of music and the sound required. Mostly fingerstlye in my covers band and mostly pick style in my originals band.

(still very bad slap :) )

I was 100% pick when I started. But after taking a 15 year break and coming back I tend to be more fingers (and thumbs, but not in a good way :))

I'm completely useless in finding a decent muting technique with a pick for open strings, sometimes. :)
I tend to use a pick now for fast stuff as my fingers aren't supple enough.

Picks all the way with me, though that`s probably due to the style of music I play (punk/heavy rock).

I can use my fingers, but it always sounds "not quite right" to me, tho since putting flats on one of my basses, I have to say my finger playing has probably improved more over the last month than it has in the 30 years prior.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1086067' date='Jan 11 2011, 08:50 PM']I wish I could use a pick!

I don't use one for guitard either!

It gets complaints all the time.

You just can't dig in with fingers.[/quote]

I disagree.

I actually started with fingers, but I play with both now. But I can dig in with my fingers and much more sound than alot of players who use a pick. It's about building strength in your fingers and understanding how to let the strings resonate. You get a different sound using pick, that's all, that has it's own technique too.

I think it's good to be good at both especially if you play a wide range of styles

Started with a pick because my favourite bassists - Burnel, Lemmy, Foxton, Dunaway etc were all pick players, dabbled with a bit of slap later but barely ever used fingers. Stuck with the pick until about 8 years ago when I just decided to generally brush up on technique - and these days it's gone full circle & I rarely use a pick. I play original progressive hard rock/metal and a lot of my playing's very aggressive, I naturally dig in hard, and love the tonal versatility of fingers compared to pick.

I'm probably still a bit faster with a pick, although there's not much in it, and there are some things, such a palm-muting, that I simply can't replicate fingerstyle. I'm very glad I'm now reasonably competent with both techniques, now it's just my slap which is atrocious, and it's very likely to stay that way!

Jon.

Id say both, too. I play with a pick, but find that certain things are just better with fingers. Just this evening i spent an hour strumming the riff to Armagideon Time, over and over. I tried a pick but it didnt sound right, so fingers it was. Yes I [i]was [/i]Paul Simenon for that hour! :)

Both!

In my current band I use a pick for most parts, mainly because I like chords and some more aggressive shreddy runs. I use fingers for tapping mostly, maybe for some mellower parts too. And if I drop my pick mid-set or if my band's guitard steals it. Odd how he always has picks that are an identical gauge and colour to mine... :)

Edited by peteplaytime

[quote name='sk8' post='1092638' date='Jan 17 2011, 03:46 PM']Being Left handed and playing right handed i don't have a huge amount of speed in my right hand, so if its fast i use a pick :)[/quote]

Im the same, my right hand is very weak, mate of mine can play faster with 1 finger than I can with three,

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='bumnote' post='1096159' date='Jan 20 2011, 11:03 AM']Im the same, my right hand is very weak, mate of mine can play faster with 1 finger than I can with three,[/quote]

Just practice exercises and using one, then two, then three fingers at different speeds and timing

etc

[quote name='algmusic' post='1096164' date='Jan 20 2011, 11:07 AM']Just practice exercises and using one, then two, then three fingers at different speeds and timing

etc[/quote]
That is really helpful, and sooooo logical. Gonna try that this eve, thanks very much for that.

If they want greater attack and you want to play with your fingers try a hand position closer to the bridge.
Re pick vs fingers I think both have a place. Neither is better than the other. Practice scales and modes up and down the neck with the pick, IME its great for improving stamina and accuracy.

Yeah pal, there are alot of 'bassists' out there who say: "Oh use your fingers!" and go on about how if you use your fingers it's better?
Although i have used a pick from day one, and i can't get the hang of using my fingers because of the sort of technique...

Using fingers make you more likely to 'slap' the string although if you are good enough and practice enough it shouldn't really matter...

Although yeah, i use a pick because i prefer the sound and its easier in a way too!

I tend to favour finger playing as I prefer the sound, but I will occasionally pull out my pick ( I only own!) if things go a bit 'punk'. I don't necessarily think that fingers are better than picks, it's just that I'm [i] much[/i] faster and more accurate with all of my piggies wriggling. This is probably down to the fact that I never practice with a pick though, and isn't a 'finger are better' jibe.