Why become a member? ×

Price Hikes All Over!

spongebob

Anybody noticed how the prices of basses have shot up in the last few days?

I know there was the VAT increase, but they seem to have gone up again across the board.

Only noticed as last week I paid £289 for my CV P - by mid-last week they were around £296 with the VAT increase, but now everywhere is charging £319 for the range!

Looked at some other sites, and all prices seem to have gone up on many basses.....happy new year??!!

[quote name='spongebob' post='1085440' date='Jan 11 2011, 01:17 PM']Anybody noticed how the prices of basses have shot up in the last few days?

I know there was the VAT increase, but they seem to have gone up again across the board.
Only noticed as last week I paid £289 for my CV P - by mid-last week they were around £296 with the VAT increase, but now everywhere is charging £319 for the range!
Looked at some other sites, and all prices seem to have gone up on many basses.....happy new year??!![/quote]

Try over the Channel. Woodbrass.com are still selling them at £289. Euroguitar are only slightly dearer. I think French VAT is 19.6%.

Balcro.

Looks to me like it's all types of businesses at it. They're using the VAT increase as an excuse to just bump the prices by anything they fancy. Was in Morrisons the other day where one product had gone up 40% in a week ! (Seabrook crisps if you're that interested).

[quote name='spongebob' post='1085834' date='Jan 11 2011, 06:04 PM']You know it's bad when the crisps go up.....and no doubt the beer!![/quote]

What beer and crisps going up ! now how am i going to spend my winter evenings?

On an item costing £100 before the VAT increase, the 2.5% hike equals £2.16 (so, £21.60 on a £1,000 purchase). What you have to remember about VAT is that this is due on the majority of raw materials and all components used in the manufacturing process, and that these real cost increases to business would be passed along to end-users (leaving aside the VAT input/output offset equation). Many corporations do introduce annual price adjustments with the calendar year, although many do this in line with the Tax Year (starting 6 April). But, it was widely suggest by financial analysts that many corporations and resellers would take advantage of the timing of the VAT rate increase to adjust prices upwards, but that the VAT increase while 2.5% would result in an average 4.5% increase in prices.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='Machines' post='1085532' date='Jan 11 2011, 02:28 PM']Looks to me like it's all types of businesses at it. They're using the VAT increase as an excuse to just bump the prices by anything they fancy. Was in Morrisons the other day where one product had gone up 40% in a week ! (Seabrook crisps if you're that interested).[/quote]
Using foodstuffs and food product prices to make justify this assertion would be problematic at best. You're as likely to find this same product in some pricing promotion next week allowing the reseller to make spurious claims with regard to cost saving as to be permanently higher priced. A better gauge are simple food products, such as a loaf of bread or carton of milk, to gauge food price inflation. Remember, many food products are exempt from VAT, so oranges are VAT exempt while orange juice is VAT rated. (VAT is applied to foodstuffs which have undergone additional processing) Unfortunately, for bass players, crisps and beer are both VAT rated.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1086165' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:14 PM']Price hikes? Your damm tootin!!

£500 for a Mexican P bass in Guitarguitar? I remember not so long ago, they were about £360. Or was I imagining it?

Rip off ba*tar*s all of em!! Manufacturers, distributurs, the shop`s and the goverment.

Jez[/quote]

Spooky - I've just sent you a message! The Revolution Starts Now - or when when we get round to it :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1086165' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:14 PM']Price hikes? Your damm tootin!!

£500 for a Mexican P bass in Guitarguitar? I remember not so long ago, they were about £360. Or was I imagining it?[/quote]
And not so long ago many of us were congratulating ourselves on the amazing bargains to be scored from the USA and Japan, given the strength of the pound against the dollar and the yen. This is just the other side of that equation, and demonstrates the precarious nature of your purchasing power when you live in a country that doesn't produce many goods within its own borders. So, the relative price of that Mexican Pbass has less to do with price increases and more to do with the deficiencies in the UK manufacturing base. (No pun intended.)

£500 for a Mexican P bass in Guitarguitar? I remember not so long ago, they were about £360. Or was I imagining it?

Rip off ba*tar*s all of em!! Manufacturers, distributurs, the shop`s and the goverment.

Jez[/quote]

Agreed. But GG is a very expensive place now anyway. Their American Standards have been close to £1k for a while. Daft.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1086208' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:53 PM']Agreed. But GG is a very expensive place now anyway. Their American Standards have been close to £1k for a while. Daft.[/quote]

Last year my brother got a used Malmsteen Strat there for £700. I can't believe they had it out so cheap, that'd probably get you a Mexican strat now, or near enough two Squier Strats. Outrageous to think...

On the issue of Seabrook crisps, not only are they getting more expensive but the quality has never been the same since they switched to foil bags.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1086242' date='Jan 11 2011, 11:29 PM']GAK have some good deals :) [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-american-vintage-62-precision-bass-3-colour-sunburst/15810"]How much?[/url][/quote]

That's a rediculous price, especially as Coda are charging a few quid more for their Custom Shop 58 and 59 P Basses

I looked at these a bit before Christmas, and they were about £589!

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-highway-1-precision-bass-flat-black/15844"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-highway-1-p...lat-black/15844[/url]

That's quite a big jump.....pity wages aren't going up at the same rate......

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1086320' date='Jan 12 2011, 01:23 AM']DV247... Fender Geddy Lee J Bass
Was: £720
Now: £848

Happy new year inf*ckingdeed![/quote]

Have a look at the Steve Harris then!

I paid £840 in March last year, from GAK.

It's going to be tough, My wife's business had 10% price rises from several suppliers before the VAT rise. Now just add fuel price rises in and it gets even better. We will try and absorb some of this but she has to make a living - I can't keep her - I'm on a 2 year pay freeze unlike bankers. Currency does not help either - our answer is import more from the far east and India (nobody makes our products in UK unless it is serious money designer stuff). Add to this how many of us are awaiting redundancy/modernisation and have stopped spending.

I am not defending excessive price rises / profiteering, but it's going to be a tough year to be in business.

Second hand is the way to go, and through basschat, we must have enough kit between us to just keep recirculating it.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1086920' date='Jan 12 2011, 05:01 PM']That's a rediculous price, especially as Coda are charging a few quid more for their Custom Shop 58 and 59 P Basses[/quote]

That [url="http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_247&products_id=8011"]Custom Shop '58[/url] is awesome for that money :) :)