Why become a member? ×

"Heavy' basses

4 Strings

There's a lovely '70s Fender P for sale within these pages and, despite it being an absolute beauty, much seems to be being made of it being slightly heavier than average.

There may be lighter weight Precisions, but surely this isn't a heavy item. Do people find Ps so heavy that they need to find one based on a slight variation in its weight?

My old Jaydee is solid mahogany, that's heavier than a P but never a problem unless i'm on the 3rd day of a mega-rehearsal.

This seems to be a rather recent phenomena that for almost any bass for sale, especially old Precisions, the first question regards its weight. Why is this? Surely none of them are THAT heavy? I have two '70s Fenders, apparently typically heavy, if you did an A-B test one is lighter than the other, just mean its a little more neck heavy but nothing to stop the enjoyment of using it.

Am I the only one who finds this a rather unnecessary obsession or have people genuinely been harmed by one Precision but not another?

It used to be a badge of honour having an almost unliftable bass to go with the humongous rig!

A lot here has been said before on the balance of a bass - I know I changed because my previous bass would bite into my shoulder really badly. Next bass, although I'd looked for something lighter, weighs exactly the same, just doesn't feel that way on the strap.

Speaking personally, I have a recurring shoulder injury (age creeps up on us all) and I can't gig a bass weighing more than about 9lb; I've set my limit below that just in case I have to do extend spots or 3 sets. This matter has been raised on here in the recent past and to a great many people the weight of a bass isn't an issue as much as the balance is (mine is pretty much purely weight). There's loads of good advice about wide straps, X brace straps etc. but for some it is plain and simple, an issue that matters when purchasing an instrument! :)

I think weight is important but not essential. Only one of my Precisions is a bit heavy and it's not a barrier for me using it. Like you say, I've played heavier basses than Precisions. However a good weight is a factor and when considering making a purchase through an online ad the weight on a bass can be the difference in me being prepared to drive X amount of miles to try it out.

My P is very heavy (the heaviest bass I've ever owned) and the neck is like a baseball bat, I love it. The weight doesn't concern me at all, in fact I prefer a heavier bass... lighter basses can often feel like toys to me for some reason, no matter how good they sound. My Jazz is quite a bit lighter, but they both get regular gigging time.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1066017' date='Dec 21 2010, 06:46 PM']There's a lovely '70s Fender P for sale within these pages and, despite it being an absolute beauty, much seems to be being made of it being slightly heavier than average.

There may be lighter weight Precisions, but surely this isn't a heavy item. Do people find Ps so heavy that they need to find one based on a slight variation in its weight?

My old Jaydee is solid mahogany, that's heavier than a P but never a problem unless i'm on the 3rd day of a mega-rehearsal.

This seems to be a rather recent phenomena that for almost any bass for sale, especially old Precisions, the first question regards its weight. Why is this? Surely none of them are THAT heavy? I have two '70s Fenders, apparently typically heavy, if you did an A-B test one is lighter than the other, just mean its a little more neck heavy but nothing to stop the enjoyment of using it.

Am I the only one who finds this a rather unnecessary obsession or have people genuinely been harmed by one Precision but not another?[/quote]

I'm 47 years old. I've got two prolapsed discs, one cervical, one lumbar, with referred pain into arms, legs, groin etc etc. I also have a possible subluxation left shoulder, problems with my clavicle (particularly left side) and supraspinatus tendonitis in both shoulders. If I wear a heavy bass it's very painful and causes me all sorts of problems the like of which I'm not going into here. Wasn't always the case, I used to bench 100kg for a good 8 reps and used a Jaydee that weighed 13lb or so, among other basses. But trust me, if/when it starts to matter, it REALLY starts to matter. These days even an 8.5lb bass is giving me trouble.

If it never, ever starts to bother you, you're very lucky. If you're unlucky, one day it might be [i]very[/i] important to you what a bass weighs.

I had a lovely black Alembic Spoiler (a la Cliff Burton) but had to sell it recently because it weighed 11 pounds. I have a rotator cuff problem in my left shoulder and had a slipped disc around 10 years ago, so its very easy for my back to go into spasm. About 9.5 pounds is as far as I want to go these days and if its less than 9 (like my old 72P and my Pino) all the better. How on earth people manage with some of the 12-13 pound Alembic Series basses I just do not know, unless they bench press!

I found that heavy basses aren't really a problem if they're balanced properly. Saying that though, I do have a neck and back problem, so the answer for me was to move to short scale. The basses in question aren't necessarily lighter, they're just better balanced and more comfortable to play over several sets, as there is less stretching involved etc. It works for me :)

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1066017' date='Dec 21 2010, 06:46 PM']This seems to be a rather recent phenomena that for almost any bass for sale, especially old Precisions, the first question regards its weight. Why is this?[/quote]

Because all the kids playing their hip young person's music got old.

My OLP MM2 is so light when compared to my 1977 Fender Precision, but recently a friend let me use his 1975 Jazz, and it was even heavier than the Precision (which comes in at 9 pounds) so there are heavy and [b][u]heavy [/u][/b]70,s Fenders out there!

Edited by Hobbayne

I can understand and sympathise with those with spinal / muscular conditions making weight a critical factor (professionally I'm a radiographer after all) but for myself I quite like a heavy bass to get physical with. I regularly gig my Gibson RD Artist which has to be the heaviest production bass ever - although the Custom fretless MM "Sabre" I made (now with Chris2112) is heavier still.

Likewise amp rigs - when you're lugging a huge PA around a heavy bass rig is just a bit more of the same, and if everyone in the band helps it's never a problem.

Weight matters to my body a great deal more than it seems to matter to the tone or feel of the bass (and I do realise that not everyone will agree with that statement).

I've had 11lb basses which sounded great, which sounded OK, and which sounded pretty rubbish frankly.

I've had 7lb basses which sounded great, which sounded OK, and which sounded pretty rubbish frankly.

Given that [i][b]High weight[/b][/i] does NOT equal [i][b]Great tone[/b][/i], I can't think of any reason to buy a heavy bass.

I can play a 7lb bass all evening, sleep well, and wake up with no aches or pains. An 11lb bass will have me in pain within an hour, and in agony after two.

As the young people of today keep telling me, "Simples".

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1066145' date='Dec 21 2010, 08:39 PM']Weight matters to my body a great deal more than it seems to matter to the tone or feel of the bass (and I do realise that not everyone will agree with that statement).

I've had 11lb basses which sounded great, which sounded OK, and which sounded pretty rubbish frankly.

I've had 7lb basses which sounded great, which sounded OK, and which sounded pretty rubbish frankly.

Given that [i][b]High weight[/b][/i] does NOT equal [i][b]Great tone[/b][/i], I can't think of any reason to buy a heavy bass.

I can play a 7lb bass all evening, sleep well, and wake up with no aches or pains. An 11lb bass will have me in pain within an hour, and in agony after two.

As the young people of today keep telling me, "Simples".[/quote]

:) +1

However, those who don't have any form of discomfort from playing a heavy bass will have little sympathy and that's fine... till they are my age and then (death notwithstanding) we'll have the last laugh! :)

The bass which has been my main electric for the past decade weighs 12 1/2 pounds, which I guess qualifies as heavy. I built it in my parent's shed aged 18, using a 50mm thick piece of walnut for the body. I never used to notice the weight, but more recently I've found my shoulders aching after rehearsals. In some ways I'd like to find a lighter bass, but I'm kind of attached to my 12 1/2 pound beast, and I get a sound which I like, so I'm sticking with it for the moment.
There's a particular unplugged tone quality I've noticed in basses with dense body woods (though I'll accept it may not apply to all) - mine is very bright and sustainy, in a Rickenbacker-esque way, and sounds nothing like any Fender I've played unplugged. So perhaps there's a perception that the lighter Fenders will lean towards a particular tone?

So, it matters if you have a back or shoulder problem, no surprise there, and for others a pound or two matters not.

I'm very fortunate in that I don't suffer from any physical problems and I sympathise with those that do, but very pleased they carry on with suitable equipment.

So does this mean those who immediately ask 'how heavy' as soon as an old P comes up for sale have a back problem? If so, it explains all.

I note that our late hero in Detroit used a tall stool (sounds rather smelly!) to play for his long, daily sessions, but seemed to have a strap on too.