Why become a member? ×

is your gig on today?

greyparrot

Scotland and the NE had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Many, many gigs cancelled as it really wasn't worth risking life, limb and a hefty car repair bill to do a pub gig; that may seem melodramatic but if your travelling 20-50miles to and from a gig in the Scottish borders (wilderness :) ) you really don't want to slide your car into a ditch!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1062439' date='Dec 18 2010, 01:33 PM']As WH says, we've missed out on the 'fun' this time, so my gig at Warkworth, up the Northumbrian coast, is very much on. :)[/quote]

You wouldn't have been wanting to travel to that gig a couple weeks back! :) :lol:

Is that a Caffreys gig?

Mine is on (so far). Am in West Yorkshire tomorrow though, so may be a tough one towards the Pennines.

We've had it probably the worst over the last few weeks here in East Yorkshire, and have n't missed a gig yet!
Been to London and the N.East and made it to them all. (Ironically my local pub gig 5 miles away cancelled us though!)

Allow loads of time for travelling, take shovels & warm clothes and flasks etc, drive sensibly and plan your route
according to BBC road/weather updates.

[quote name='casapete' post='1062456' date='Dec 18 2010, 01:47 PM']Mine is on (so far). Am in West Yorkshire tomorrow though, so may be a tough one towards the Pennines.

We've had it probably the worst over the last few weeks here in East Yorkshire, and have n't missed a gig yet!
Been to London and the N.East and made it to them all. (Ironically my local pub gig 5 miles away cancelled us though!)

Allow loads of time for travelling, take shovels & warm clothes and flasks etc, drive sensibly and plan your route
according to BBC road/weather updates.[/quote]

Both WoT and I know of bands that went out in the bad weather in the NE several weeks ago and one of the embarrassments was one band member sliding his car into that of another; that's their band money blown for a few gigs! :)

I missed a gig in Jersey in the last lot, (getting a cancellation fee though bless them) So I'm determined not to miss tonight's gig on Pall Mall, so determined that I've been sweeping snow off the road (hill on a corner) since 9 this morning, the snow has now stopped and I can definitely get the car moving, just hope the M3 is open.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1062504' date='Dec 18 2010, 02:31 PM']We don't gig in December due to people's family & work commitments (the drummer is Santa!) so we miss out on all the weather causing bookings to be cancelled. We're not exactly a good time party band so we step aside for those who are.[/quote]

so far ours is on but i dunno...............its pretty crap here and getting worse by the min. All my FB pals gigs in essex have been cancelled. We shall c. We may pull out n live to gig another day..............

[quote name='pete.young' post='1062595' date='Dec 18 2010, 04:04 PM']Hm, in Witham? What do reckon my chances of getting to Great Cornard are like?[/quote]

to be honest outa my window now its a blanket of snow, but the main roads might be ok, i think you need to go down country roads, not good :-(

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1062741' date='Dec 18 2010, 06:33 PM']As I type I'm sitting outside the naval and military club, st james' square. Weather nil Jake 1, let's hope the second half (journey home) is as easy for team jakesbass... :)[/quote]

Yeh, well if you drove that T-34 then it wasn't much of a challenge. :)

We managed half a gig yesterday in snowbound Hertfordshire or, more accurately, half the band played a gig!

I couldn't get out of my house so bagged a lift in our singer's 4x4 and collected one guitarist on the way. An hour later (for a 15 mile journey) we arrived but the second guitarist and drummer couldn't make it.

It was a friend-of-a-friend's wedding and we were only there to play for the first dance and then about 30 mins of the bride's favourites, so the show went on, which cheered the bride up and helped to compensate for the 80-odd guests that couldn't make it either.

The good news is that everyone enjoyed it and were very grateful for the effort we'd made to get there.

The bad news is that the bride's favourites included Moondance, Brown Eyed Girl, Wonderful Tonight, Fly Me To The Moon and Delilah. At least she hadn't requested Mustang Sally. :)

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1063347' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:16 AM']We managed half a gig yesterday in snowbound Hertfordshire or, more accurately, half the band played a gig!

I couldn't get out of my house so bagged a lift in our singer's 4x4 and collected one guitarist on the way. An hour later (for a 15 mile journey) we arrived but the second guitarist and drummer couldn't make it.

It was a friend-of-a-friend's wedding and we were only there to play for the first dance and then about 30 mins of the bride's favourites, so the show went on, which cheered the bride up and helped to compensate for the 80-odd guests that couldn't make it either.

The good news is that everyone enjoyed it and were very grateful for the effort we'd made to get there.

The bad news is that the bride's favourites included Moondance, Brown Eyed Girl, Wonderful Tonight, Fly Me To The Moon and Delilah. At least she hadn't requested Mustang Sally. :)[/quote]

we are very lucky our gig last night was off but they called us and asked us to do this aft, so happy days traffic seems better today too :-)