Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Sandberg California PM4 Custom *SOLD*

tombboy

Due to a chronic hand injury I have to face up to the fact that I cannot continue to play without suffering pain and extreme discomfort. Darkest day of my life so far!! :)

Therefore, everything is up for grabs.

In this thread:
My beloved [b]Sandberg California PM4 Custom Union Jack Bass - 'Dear Old Blighty'[/b]
I had this custom ordered and made in November 2008 by Sandberg through Darren at The Bass Merchant in Colchester. This honestly looks like it has been through 20 years of stadium tours but all the relic-ing is top quality. The finish is sublime, with a 'flag ripple' running through the colour. Very light... about 8.5 - 9lbs. Sold with a Gewa (Sandberg stock) gig bag. The pictures do not do this bass justice!! Fans of the 'heavy relic' look will fall in love with this. Cost was £1750 rrp with a little knocked off by Darren for goodwill.
[i][b]Henrik at Sandberg told me that this is a one off.... there is another custom model which is similar, but with different specs and that went to a collector in Sweden[/b][/i]
[b]Basschat offer £900.00 plus delivery[/b]

I have moved the Markbass rig to the proper section in order to give it more exposure.

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='tombboy' post='978104' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:14 AM']Due to a chronic hand injury I have to face up to the fact that I cannot continue to play without suffering pain and extreme discomfort. Darkest day of my life so far!! :)[/quote]

Ouch. That's awful. You have my sympathies. A friend of mine also gave up bass due to arthritis in her 20s.

Nice rig. I hope you get lots of interest.

So sorry to hear of your plight, that must be hugely depressing for you. Wish you well and good luck with the sales and your health.
Lovely kit, but I'm not in a position to buy, can't imagine it hanging about for long though.

All the best, Gary

[quote name='The Twickerman' post='978117' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:23 AM']Ouch. That's awful. You have my sympathies. A friend of mine also gave up bass due to arthritis in her 20s.

Nice rig. I hope you get lots of interest.[/quote]
Thanks mate. Injury happened over 15 years ago. CNS rupture to my right ulnar co-lateral ligament or 'Goalkeeper's thumb' as it is known. Basically, if I pick play or anchor my thumb for finger style the whole hand swells up and goes numb. I was told that surgery to correct it wouldn't make any difference, due to the age of the injury... indded, it might be worse afterwards. :)

Any chance of taking up another instrument, TB? Guitar (lighter grip). Trumpet? It would break my heart not to play [i]something.[/i] Even just songwriting/arranging/composing (ie not playing gigs but noddling around with Cubase/Sibelius etc).

[quote name='Bilbo' post='978151' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:39 AM']Any chance of taking up another instrument, TB? Guitar (lighter grip). Trumpet? It would break my heart not to play [i]something.[/i] Even just songwriting/arranging/composing (ie not playing gigs but noddling around with Cubase/Sibelius etc).[/quote]
I'm keeping a 6 string and my old Westone for noodling with recording. Also, going to do some recording for other bands, so definately keeping a foot in the door so to speak.

I know you've probably thought long and hard about this, but would it be possible to construct some sort of forearm brace with a pick attached at the end? Something that would let you attack the strings without putting strain on your thumb?

[quote name='Wil' post='978156' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:44 AM']I know you've probably thought long and hard about this, but would it be possible to construct some sort of forearm brace with a pick attached at the end? Something that would let you attack the strings without putting strain on your thumb?[/quote]
Tried it Wil.... even spent £40 on a physio brace designed for the particular injury. Helped a little but still f-ing painful.

[quote name='51m0n' post='978279' date='Oct 5 2010, 01:13 PM']Have you tried floating thumb technique?

There is no strain on the thumb at all when you do it right....

Just a thought?[/quote]

I had exactly the same thought, good luck finding a solution/alternative diversion from reality anyhow tho

+1 for floating thumb, though not being an expert I have no idea if just any pressure at all sets it off, cos floating thumb still means the thumb is in contact with the bass.

Another idea on the pick front, Jauqo III-X or whatever his name is on TB uses a pick clutched between his 1st and 2nd finger with his hand in the form a fist. The pick sticks out between his middle joints on his 1st/2nd fingers (or might be 2nd/3rd fingers, I forget!). He does this to be able to switch between slap and pick, but it may also be a way to hold the pick in such a way to avoid having to use your right thumb at all on bass.

I have several neck discs out of line and loose ( and screws apparently !)and cant play anything too heavy hence looking out for something light and with a jazz neck as am female and slim with wee mitts; so if i sell my P bass I may come back to you - its a shame though you have to consider giving it up - I do get some relief from taking glucosamine which apparently helps joints and skeletal problems (dont sue me am not a doctor!) it seems to work for me - gotta be worth a try? anyway - good luck with the sale if thats where you end up ...... :)

Lots of interest in the head.

Bump reduction and for split prices:

TA503 - [b]£500[/b]
MB106HR - [b]£500[/b]
Alesis 3630 Compressor - [b]£35[/b]
Korg DT1000 - [b]£60[/b]
Gator 4U Rack - [b]£30[/b]

All together for new price of [b]£1100[/b]
Bass stays at [b]£1000[/b]

Edited by tombboy

My heart goes out to you for the injury and having to give up playing. I often have nightmares about that very thing.... best of luck with selling the gear, I'd love to snap up old blighty as I've been after a Sandberg for a while, and that would be my choice of pickup config - the paint job is just awesome. If I suddenly find a grand, you'll get a pm from me about her.

[quote name='tombboy' post='978132' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:29 AM']Thanks mate. Injury happened over 15 years ago. CNS rupture to my right ulnar co-lateral ligament or 'Goalkeeper's thumb' as it is known. Basically, if I pick play or anchor my thumb for finger style the whole hand swells up and goes numb. I was told that surgery to correct it wouldn't make any difference, due to the age of the injury... indded, it might be worse afterwards. :)[/quote]
you are getting lots of advicce, hope you don't mind a thought ..
Here is a site fro something different, maybe it can help at least with helping play other instruments.

[url="http://www.mctimoneychiropractic.org/"]http://www.mctimoneychiropractic.org/[/url]

good luck mate

Really sorry to hear your news! It would break my heart to have to do the same, so I can only just about imagine how it must feel...

That's an amazing looking bass ! and some very nice gear in general - I'm surprised it's still here to be honest (though admittedly, times are tough)...

Anyway, best of luck with it all.