Why become a member? ×

Come on LETS BE HONEST

tino

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='976130' date='Oct 3 2010, 04:51 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96768&hl=worst"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96768&hl=worst[/url][/quote]
Dont Matter relive the moment...theres a sting in the tail for this thread ....bare with it!!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='976153' date='Oct 3 2010, 05:04 PM']I have been lucky so far although I have never purchased one without trying it first. I went to get a new Warwick and it was faulty in the shop (Musical exchanges in Birmingham) and ended up with a brand new at the time 2002 Ray as I had the money to burn and the rest is history![/quote]
You telling us youve had a bass for almost 8 years.......you must be getting through a tin of Andrews a day

Always tried my basses out, except for 2 Sei's and somehow I didn't think I'd have any sort of problem with them :)

But I don't think I'd dare buy some basses like that...
I have always kept my basses for a good few years so I guess I was happy enough with my purchasing at that time.

I recall my Fender Urge Standard. It was nowhere near as good as the US model (not that I expected it to be) but it did't sound great, and it played pretty badly. With a decent set up it could have been a bit better. Didn't keep it very long at all (lovely light weight though).

[quote name='JTUK' post='976173' date='Oct 3 2010, 05:19 PM']Always tried my basses out, except for 2 Sei's and somehow I didn't think I'd have any sort of problem with them :)

But I don't think I'd dare buy some basses like that...
I have always kept my basses for a good few years so I guess I was happy enough with my purchasing at that time.[/quote]Did you have any probs with your Sei's JT..?

I didnt try any of my current basses before i bought them, to save money more than anything. And the ones i have now are perfect. Although iv had a few crappy basses, one being an epiphone thunderbird, it got moved on rather quick. Also an american deluxe jazz bass, just didnt deliver anything near its value and the build quality was shoddy. It was a 2000 model

Hohner B Bass V.

I had this amazing Hohner fretless Jazz copy, sounded and played unbelievable. Some guy offered me the B Bass for it and I took it because I was young and stupid and it had five strings. It was a cheapo nasty thru-neck, the wiring was a bunch of dental floss, the active circuit crapped out within a month, it absolutely wouldn't set up no matter what to you did, and to top it off it was really neck-heavy.

You'd think I would have learned a lesson, but that was merely the first time I got completely stiffed on a trade. Fifteen years ago. Oh, the tales I could tell.

Since I only really like weird stuff, there's very little opportunity for me to find instruments I want to buy in this country and try before I buy. For example the 3 basses and 1 guitar I've bought this year came from Japan and the US, and I would be extremely surprised if there is even someone else here in the UK who even owns another example of any of these instruments, much less has one for sale!

Bearing this in mind apart from the Squier VMJ that owned for a while (it was probably a perfectly good instrument - it just didn't suit me in the slightest) I've only bought one other instrument this way that turned out to be a total dog (it looks fantastic but is all but unplayable) and as it was extremely cheap, I simply chalked it down to experience and moved on.

Edited by BigRedX

I bought a MIM 5 String Jazz a few years ago, and becuase I was a precocious youngster it had to be the right colour with the right scratch plate so it was ordered in. After a 3 month wait :) it finally arrived and I hated it. Being to proud to admit a mistake it stayed in it's case for a few years.
Last year I was involved in a project that needed a low D so being the only fiver I had and with it being mothballed for so long I ordered a new set of strings. Instant transformation! I've now shimmed the neck to resolve the mile high action and now it is one of my favourites.

Overwater Perception 5 string. I did try it in the shop and it sounded great but it was horrible on my rig when I got it home. I went through about 150 quids worth of strings trying to sort it but it was all high-end harmonics and string noise. I swapped bassbluestu for a Stingray and he said he liked it, so it may well just have been me. Looked lovely, incredible build quality, sounded pants :lol:

It's depressing that the only basses I've ever properly likes were designed by Mr. Fender. How dull :)

I've only had 2 basses & still got both of them.

First one was a Vox Standard which I bought in late '83 for £145 as I got sick of playing basslines on my guitar & the second is my Ibanez SR1000 which I purchased @ May '90 for £699. I've been happy with both of them, tho the Vox hasn't been played much since I got the Ibby & is now in bits & being defretted (by myself :) ).

I was looking at 5 stringers & tried a Rockbass Corvette in Reverb, Glasgow & was shocked at the poor build quality.

Not a bass, but I bought a brand new Fender USA Strat Plus in the early '90s for £675 that was so crap it was unbelievable. The neck and bridge were out of alignment and it would break strings, all of them, within an hour of playing. Fender's distributor refused to replace it and sent it somewhere where they identified the problem and tried to fix it! I persisted in my opinion that it was unacceptable and they eventually replaced it after about two months of me having to borrow a S/H one from the shop. I sold the Strat about six months later in Denmark Street for £250 so I could pay my rent.

I bought a Tokai Jazz Sound in May as I needed something slappable, but I rushed it a bit. I liked the sound and feel in the shop, but I got it home, and had a couple of gigs with it and it just didn't cut through. It sounds nice, but it needs various things doing. Teacher's told me that get a Badass II / III on it, some good pickups and a good preamp and it'll probably play better than most off the shelf American Fenders, for half the cost....

A month later I went and got a fretted active Warwick Corvette. Barely touched the Jazz since!