Why become a member? ×

New Gear Day!

maxrossell

[quote name='maxrossell' post='969249' date='Sep 27 2010, 10:57 AM']What's the latest bit of gear you got[/quote]

New jack socket for my Peavey Milestone III. This is the only bass-related purchase I've made for a year or two.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='969249' date='Sep 27 2010, 10:57 AM']why did you get it and what did you pay/trade for it?[/quote]

Playing 2 gigs this week and the old one was loose and crackly. Want to feel confident that it won't let me down. (I don't do the "backup bass" thing).
Paid £20 to the Gallery, for parts and labour. (I can't solder for toffee).

[quote name='maxrossell' post='969249' date='Sep 27 2010, 10:57 AM']And crucially, was it worth it, or are you a bit disappointed?[/quote]

Money well spent. Feeling totally comfortable with the bass again. Many things may yet go horribly wrong this week (worst ever band practice yesterday, kit share still to be agreed for gig on Thursday, no idea how we're going to be able to get gear to the venue as its a parking and traffic black-spot, etc etc), but I'd be very surprised if the jack socket is one of them.

:)

Edited by Earbrass

Last thing was Wizard pickups for my Vigier Surfreter - the bridge and neck sounds (together and separate) are exactly what I was after (the previous DiMarzios were a bit muted), but the middle pickup is out of phase. I need to go back into the cavity and alter the HB wiring to fix it... bit of a mixed bag of good and bad there but nothing unfixable :)

Before that it was was a Catalinbread Pareidolia - lots and lots of amazing sounds in it, but still trying to work out preferred 'default' setting. Prior to that it was the Surfreter guitar itself.

Last thing bought was a US Standard precision Pickup, for my previous purchase of a 2006 US Standard precision that had a Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder pickup. £30 off of Basschat.

The new pickup is great, totally transformed the bass, back to how I like a P-Bass to sound. Def worth the money.

Last major music related purchase was a Fender HW-one. After ordering 4 more costly basses in the previous 5 weeks and having to send them all back i was very apprehensive.
All worked out well though.

EDIT: Just remembered i have a HW-one pick guard coming this week from WD Music. I ordered it 4 weeks ago, just before i got the HW-one. It had to come from the USA so that explains the delay.
Customer service is great as i wanted to add a bag of 20 PG screws to the order so emailed them last night to say ill pay the extra for them when i hear back. I got an email back this morning saying they have sent me a bag at no extra cost along with the PG.

Edited by dave_bass5

Epiphone EB-0 in limited edition Pelham Blue.

Beautiful bass, covered in marks, scratches, bridge insert lifting out of the body - on its way back as soon as they come to collect it.

Really disappointed, was really looking forward to this one

Edited by Delberthot

A new bridge with lovely height adjusters for my double bass. £250 including fitting. Seems like money well spent so far, and shouldn't need replacing for a good few years, and it does seem to have had a positive effect on the tone- the old one was made of balsa or something and was a bit too bendy.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='969249' date='Sep 27 2010, 10:57 AM']What's the latest bit of gear you got, why did you get it and what did you pay/trade for it? And crucially, was it worth it, or are you a bit disappointed?

I'd start, but my new gear won't arrive for a half-hour or so.

GO![/quote]
Yesterday on the bay I bought a Japanese 70,s Jazz copy,A Burny Les Paul copy and a proper 2009 Gibson J45 mahogany,Today for a mere £10 I bought a 70.s Kay P bass from the street cleaners and last wek I bought a Fender Tele bass from Tom on here..........But best of all my Esquire should hopefully be coming home this week..
With the exception of the Kay I possibly paid to much.....but when the recession finally ends I will hopefully turn that around then some..... :)

Last thing to arrive was my TC Electronic Nova Dynamics pedal from the sale forum here. Fabulous multi-band compression. Just what I was after.

Arriving over the next few days should be a matching Nova Reverb pedal, Logarhythm wooden footblock thingie and... my ACG Recurve 5.

And then I hope I'm set for a very long time, because I've spent a s***load of money recently. :)

Ibanez SR405 from 2000. I got it to defret it. Right now it is on my workbench with 2 frets removed.

EMG 40J pickup - still in the box, awaiting the right bass to come along.

But going back to the last thing I bought which is in active service, it will be a Korg Pitchblack tuner. Wonderful piece of kit!