Why become a member? ×

What do the cool people play?

spinynorman

So, the Banned Licks thread managed to demolish 2/3rds of my band's set on the first page. I'm just wondering what people think is cool to cover - ie songs that retain the interest of the audience, but aren't over played.

To anyone who thinks all covers are uncool by definition: we have our fingers in our ears, we aren't listening.

Squib Cakes by Tower Of Power.
Peg by Steely Dan (or Josie, or Kid Charlemagne......)
Runaway or Too Young To Die by Jamiroquai

These are also my stock warm up/bass try out lines.

Rio by Duran Duran is a goody too.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='risingson' post='966848' date='Sep 24 2010, 04:02 PM']We do Sledgehammer. I must admit I've not heard any other cover bands play it.[/quote]

Wow, really... It is almost a busking song round here. The type of thing a dep band will throw in.
Ditto Money.

Was mucking around with some covers in the practice room last night, basically my originals band & a different drummer.

Red Barchetta
Free Will
Ghost Rider
La Villa Strangiato (sort of!)
YYZ
Secret Touch

And just as a theme was appearing we ended up playing Whole Lotta Rosie, which is quite odd with a female singer.

It was f@cking excellent and we might have a new drummer. I bloody hope so.

Jon.

My band have started doing a mash up which I am confident noone else does. We call it Sharona's Toxic Love Shack!

Its the My Sharona riff played as an intro then we keep the rhythm going to the chord progression of Toxic by Ms Spears as well as the lyrics....stay with me... then we sing the chorus of LoveShack by the B-52's to the rhythm of Toxic as the chorus.

We go back into the Toxic/Sharona verse and we include the LoveShack break-down. in the middle.

We always get a great response but that could be more to do with people recognising the song among our set of self penned tunes :)

We also did a mean cover of Carol of the Bells at a christmas gig last year with 4 part vocal harmony and it sounded chilling - that was added to the end of one of our own tunes and made for quite the set finisher!

If you're in Edinburgh tomorrow night you can come hear Sharona's Toxic Love Shack in the wee red bar@ the Art College along with some other awesome tunes

Edited by krispn

If we do a cover it's usually something so obscure that most people think it's an original. At the moment we are kicking about with the Felice Brothers' Whiskey in My Whiskey.

Personally I like a cover to be simple, easy to learn (so you can focus on the originals) and have an air of familiarity about it without being too obvious

I quite enjoy playing Ghostown by the Specials in our cover band & I shot the Sheriff by BMW has its moments too - but nothing like a simple a loud belly thumping Stalag 17 riddim (if that means anything to anyone?) with super Ampeg phat dub bass tone :)

We play a few tunes that go down a storm. In fact we pride ourselves as "the covers band who play covers others don't" I not sure how true that is though. The one song that always gets people talking even after all these years is .....
This town ain't big enough for the both of us - Sparks.

[quote name='krispn' post='967046' date='Sep 24 2010, 07:19 PM']My band have started doing a mash up which I am confident noone else does. We call it Sharona's Toxic Love Shack!

Its the My Sharona riff played as an intro then we keep the rhythm going to the chord progression of Toxic by Ms Spears as well as the lyrics....stay with me... then we sing the chorus of LoveShack by the B-52's to the rhythm of Toxic as the chorus.

We go back into the Toxic/Sharona verse and we include the LoveShack break-down. in the middle.

We always get a great response but that could be more to do with people recognising the song among our set of self penned tunes :)

We also did a mean cover of Carol of the Bells at a christmas gig last year with 4 part vocal harmony and it sounded chilling - that was added to the end of one of our own tunes and made for quite the set finisher!

If you're in Edinburgh tomorrow night you can come hear Sharona's Toxic Love Shack in the wee red bar@ the Art College along with some other awesome tunes[/quote]
sounds awesome. i would love to hear that , get it you-tubed !... :lol:

[quote name='Truckstop' post='967098' date='Sep 24 2010, 08:03 PM']Actually a lot of JJ Cale might be well received.[/quote]
We play JJ's version of 'Call Me The Breeze' (heck, it's HIS song!) and most people tell us they've never heard that Lynyrd Skynyrd song played that way before. Goes down well though.

We've also played the Taken By Trees version of Sweet Child Of Mine.

If we can't think of a cover with a twist, we try to find songs that most people will have heard, but probably not for a long time, e.g. Humble Pie's Natural Born Bugie, Beatles' One After 909, Ocean Colour Scene's Travellers Tune, Hotel Yorba, Oh Sweet Nuthin' - that sort of thing.

We've never yet played Mustang Sally. :)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='967098' date='Sep 24 2010, 08:03 PM']I've never heard a cover band do 'Layla', 'Badge' or 'Cocaine'.
Actually a lot of JJ Cale might be well received.
Fleetwood Mac - 'Go Your Own Way'
No-one ever seems to try Dire Straits either.
Or Cannibal Corpse.

Truckstop[/quote]

I had a long fight with our ex-keyboard player over Layla. He insisted that audiences would love the full 15 minute outro, which of course has a lot of piano over (it would have been, trust me) the guitars. I maintained no one would be interested after the chorus. We never played it. His new band does, but that's another story.