Why become a member? ×

Best DB PUP

Beedster

Thought there must be a thread on this already but couldn't find it if there is. Looking to spend anything up to £250. I've already got a DB mic so it's definitely a PUP I'm after.

What do you folks think of this?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190436702395&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1154[/url]

Chris

The Realist is great but is more prone to feedback than the Full Circle.

If you've got low volume on stage, go Realist, if you're fighting against a drummer on stage then go Full Circle.

The Realist is also a piece of p1$$ to fit wheras the Full Circle will need an adjustable bridge.

A transducer pup in the bridge is definitely the way forward. There was a thread ages ago but it's finding it that is the trick! I use a Shadow Transducer pup and love my sound. It's not coloured in any way & was easy to install. Not heard anyone on these pages mention them but it came as a recommendation away from Basschat

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='962216' date='Sep 20 2010, 02:36 PM']I use a Shadow Transducer pup and love my sound. It's not coloured in any way & was easy to install. Not heard anyone on these pages mention them but it came as a recommendation away from Basschat[/quote]

Interesting. Which pup is it?

[quote name='TPJ' post='962209' date='Sep 20 2010, 02:32 PM']The Upton Revolution Solo ll is a great sounding pup as well, just a little fiddly to install. Once in it gets a more natural sound than a K&K Bass Max (which isn't too hard)[/quote]
Yep, I like the Rev Solo II. Had a Realist which unfortunately died, which is an issue Gage have acknowledged IIRC, but the Upton sounds great once you find the sweet spot for it.

[quote name='TPJ' post='962231' date='Sep 20 2010, 02:44 PM']Interesting. Which pup is it?[/quote]
I presume its the Shadow 950? [url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk/sh_950_pickup.htm"]http://www.contrabass.co.uk/sh_950_pickup.htm[/url]

I just bought one from steviedee on BC this morning :)

I've been using the Realist for the last 7 or 8 years and never had any problems at all...even at high volumes. I find that it amplifies my bass very cleanly and reproduces the bass' acoustic sound pretty accurately. The new David Gage Soundclip looks like a great idea and it's being getting some great reviews.

I use the K&K Bass Master Pro which is a combination of the BassMax and the Double Big Twin. I find the BassMax gives me an ok sound, my bass needs a bit of work and some new strings so hard to know what it would be like on a great bass, but when I turn up the Big Twin past around a quarter I find the sound way too boomy and more susceptible to feedback when going through an amp. Maybe I don't have it set up right, but I don't think this pickup on its own would be that great.

It all depends what you want to play.
The Realist is the standard for many jazzers, but it really lacks definition ... one for just adding some oomph to your bottom end in low volume situations. Or for arco.

For pizz: The wing transducers are all very similar. Underwwod is safe, quality, great tone, the King of piezo transducers. It suffers from phasing issues between the two paddles, but easily fixed by pulling one out. Can't go wrong. Bassmax, Shadow 950 and Schatten are similar, hotter signals than Underwood. Bassmax sounds a bit more compressed and bassy. But both very good. Just fitted a Schatten RB1 to one of my basses, looking forward to trying ... similar tone to Underwood but I'm hoping it's even more feedback resistant, as promised above.
Never tried Rev Solo but many people get just as good results as from other wing transducers. Feedback is an issue for some though.
There are others ... usually you get what you pay for, but there are some cheap ones that perform really well, and expensive ones that sound like crap on some basses played in some styles..

I've spent lots of time and money experimenting with different pickups on several instruments over the years.

I think the Underwood is the most versatile, I've got 3 and I can fit them to any bass including SLB100 (which I've had two of) and SLB200 (which I don't own anymore, but wouldn't mind another if anyone is selling!)

You will need a buffer preamp otherwise the sound will be thin.

I've got several other pickups that only suit certain instruments,

Upton Rev Solo only works on my big fat Hungarian, nice woody tone, (just put Underwood back on with spiro weichs)
K&K Bassmax suits my old French bass (great, no preamp rqd!)
Fishman Full Circle on my Kolstein, (came with a Planet)

Also tried Fishman BP100, Barcus Berry, Kent Armstrong, Shadow Nanoflex

So look out for an Underwood, it'll transform the SLB when you get it!

• 3 years later...

In no particular order, I've used Barcus Berry B3150, Underwood, Rev solo, Nanoflex, Fishman BP100, KK golden trinity mic, and a kk bassmax.
Of the afforementioned, the only one I got on with was the Barcus, a very true tone but reliability issues coupled with having to strap the units preamp to the tailpiece meant goodbye.
I currently use a Gage realist (original version) and a Fishman full circle into a Raven labs PMB2 preamp.
Was intending to try out the new Gage Soundclip but have heard a few rumblings about build quality issues.

I have had Shadow and Underwood in the past which were great, but now I use either a Rev Solo or a Blast Cult pickup and I find them both excellent. I have tried fancy ones like Ehrlund and DPA mic and I found them terrible for my uses, yet I have seen quieter guys/girls getting great sounds with the fancy ones too.

I found the Ehrlund excellent on my now-sold Kolstein travel bass, incredibly natural sounding. But paradoxically it sounded boomy and terrible on my 3/4 flatback wherever I placed the element. I don't think there is such a thing as a best DB pickup, it depends on the bass!

My 3/4 bass has Full Circle on it (was there when I bought it) and it sounds pretty good to my ears and not (very) feedback prone.

Of the piezo's I have tried, I like the dual wing ones best (Shadow, Underwood - with a bit of EQing). The BassMax is a pretty good easy-on/off option as is the Rev Solo (though the latter has to be sanded to size as its contained in a wood block). The David Gage Realist was good at low volumes but at my band's volume it tended to break up.

I remain very happy with my B-Band Statement. This consists of two wing p/ups + one under the bridge foot like a realist. These go to a bespoke pre-amp that allows you to set two different blends between the wing & foot p/ups & foot switch between them.

I find the sound good, it's very resistant to feedback and engineers are always happy with a d I from the pre-amp. The blend function is my main source of tone shaping on a gig.

The bad news is that this was discontinued a few years back but B-band still do a simpler p/up - has anyone got one?

Edited by PTB

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1284991973' post='962265']
I presume its the Shadow 950? [url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk/sh_950_pickup.htm"]http://www.contrabas..._950_pickup.htm[/url]

I just bought one from steviedee on BC this morning :)
[/quote]

I’ve had 2 of these and think that they have a bit more “meat” in the tone than the Underwoods. But, the jack socket fixing is very poor, so you’ll need to use a jubilee clip and a cable tie to get a solid connection on the tailpiece.

Great sound though...

Edited by bobmartin