Why become a member? ×

Later with Jools Holland on BBC 2

yorks5stringer

Switched over to see the 250th show...

I lasted a few minutes into the MAnics song...they were woeful. And I mean WOEFUL.

I've heard rough pub bands jamming a better song.
You know that time when a band is so far past it, they paraody everything..well, that was it. IMO.

Totally totally benused from Tunbridge Wells

[quote name='JTUK' post='957948' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:17 AM']Switched over to see the 250th show...

I lasted a few minutes into the MAnics song...they were woeful. And I mean WOEFUL.

I've heard rough pub bands jamming a better song.
You know that time when a band is so far past it, they paraody everything..well, that was it. IMO.

Totally totally benused from Tunbridge Wells[/quote]

JIGSTER likes this

[quote name='toneknob' post='958126' date='Sep 16 2010, 10:50 AM']Record it on one of those new-fangled VCRs or similar. Watch it the next day. "Fast forward" through the bits you don't like. Think of the hours you'll save![/quote]

Thats actually what i did. I fast forwarded through the crap but i didn't think just watching the intro and end credits made for good entertainment ;-)

[quote name='Hutton' post='958048' date='Sep 16 2010, 09:47 AM']Phil Collins? Oh dear, dear, dear dear, dear.[/quote]

He was on The One Show on BBC1 the other night. It wasn't until the last couple of minutes that I realised who it was. Thought it was Jim Bowen.

I kid you not....

I don't watch it as much as I'd like to, but I still think that it's a fascinating window through which you can view a multitude of different styles, approaches and degrees of talent. There was a time years ago when I couldn't stand all the 'cr*p' (my perception at the time) bands that went on. But now I find even the woeful performances have points of interest. Boy are my opinions of music mellowing out in my old age!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='958061' date='Sep 16 2010, 09:58 AM']Oh, it was Phil Coliins was it. I thought it was a Ross kemp standing in a hole.

Who was his bass player? I liked the look of his 6 string bass.[/quote]

That was Dave Swift of the Jools Holland Orchestra: hence my comment about the fanned frets.....!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='958181' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:43 AM']That was Dave Swift of the Jools Holland Orchestra: hence my comment about the fanned frets.....![/quote]

Cheers.
I must admit i haven't heard of him, nor do i know anything about the Jools Holland Orchestra (or fanned frets if im being really hoesnt).
At first i thought it was Crez :-)

Nice tone and playing though, im going to check him out on line.

Thank goodness for iPlayer. I think I managed to condense that complete pile of excrement into about 1 to 2 minutes - and I think I was being generous letting some of them go on as long as they did.

Nicky Wire must be up there with 'the most talentless', what an *&^%*&^%$*&^%!! As for who has a good tone, what instrument they're playing and through what really when it gets down to the nitty gritty if the performance and the songs are dreadful it doesn't matter.

Some of the festival coverage lately and shows like these almost turn me off music.

[quote name='Golchen' post='958153' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:17 AM']I don't watch it as much as I'd like to, but I still think that it's a fascinating window through which you can view a multitude of different styles, approaches and degrees of talent. There was a time years ago when I couldn't stand all the 'cr*p' (my perception at the time) bands that went on. But now I find even the woeful performances have points of interest. Boy are my opinions of music mellowing out in my old age![/quote]
Have to say I agree with this 100%. It's fair to say they never feature artists representative of my personal taste - but it's worth watching anyway, and there's always something to appreciate.

Jon.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='958061' date='Sep 16 2010, 09:58 AM']Oh, it was Phil Coliins was it. I thought it was a Ross kemp standing in a hole.

Who was his bass player? I liked the look of his 6 string bass.[/quote]

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='958181' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:43 AM']That was Dave Swift of the Jools Holland Orchestra: hence my comment about the fanned frets.....![/quote]

.... which would also answer the "standing in a hole" comment as Mr Swift is a bit if a giant.

Got it set for series records of Friday shows on the + box and will spin through it Saturday moning with breakfast, though what I'll watch for the rest of breakfast remains to be seen

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='958184' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:48 AM']Cheers.
I must admit i haven't heard of him, nor do i know anything about the Jools Holland Orchestra (or fanned frets if im being really hoesnt).
At first i thought it was Crez :-)

Nice tone and playing though, im going to check him out on line.[/quote]

According to his website, Dave's playing a Dingwall six string Prima Artist....

[url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/products/prima-artist/"]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/products/prima-artist/[/url]

[quote name='woodster' post='959109' date='Sep 17 2010, 08:40 AM']According to his website, Dave's playing a Dingwall six string Prima Artist....

[url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/products/prima-artist/"]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/products/prima-artist/[/url][/quote]

Wow, what a cool looking bass. Cheers.

[quote name='Golchen' post='958153' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:17 AM']I don't watch it as much as I'd like to, but I still think that it's a fascinating window through which you can view a multitude of different styles, approaches and degrees of talent. There was a time years ago when I couldn't stand all the 'cr*p' (my perception at the time) bands that went on. But now I find even the woeful performances have points of interest. Boy are my opinions of music mellowing out in my old age![/quote]

+1

Thought it was ok - I usually record it and then skip through.
Weakest thing IMO was Phil Collins/Klaxons, best maybe the Manics or Queen Emily?
As for Mark Ronson,WTF?

I always look forward to this show though - (mostly)100% live performances, lots of acts I would maybe
never have found otherwise etc. And I don't think the sound is that bad either (maybe thats just my 52 year old ears...... )

For all those that have slated the show, or the bands appearing just what would you prefer? This is a live music show with a mix of tastes/artists/talent and although I don't always like what I hear at least the BBC are trying. So, I'm very interested to hear what these people would prefer?

[quote name='largo' post='959298' date='Sep 17 2010, 11:52 AM']For all those that have slated the show, or the bands appearing just what would you prefer? This is a live music show with a mix of tastes/artists/talent and although I don't always like what I hear at least the BBC are trying. So, I'm very interested to hear what these people would prefer?[/quote]

+1