ped

Show us your rig!

On 06/11/2020 at 15:14, funkypenguin said:

Just finished putting my new rig together. 

Warwick Hellborg preamp

Warwick Hellborg Mono 500w power amp

Warwick Hellborg Hi Cab (2x12)

Warwick Hellborg Lo Cab (1x15)

joined by my 97 streamer LX

Complete U-turn for me as far as rig philosophy is concerned in that its heavy as hell, but it sounds incredible 

84D396AE-EA41-4FEC-A5AB-F708381F3D67.jpeg

Superb rig and fabulous with the six string I’d imagine.  My favourite pre but interesting to hear how you get on with the power amp. I’m on my third (stereo 250) and find that they impart some harmonic colour, a kind of fine grit. Musical but a bit unexpected - I tend to use my pre through the back end of a db750 where complete cleanliness is required.  I hope that you have sound floors. A very substantial stack (and if you need to add a few pounds, I think that Thomann still have a few of the Warwick dedicated 3u cases). Lovely to see the complete set - stunning!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, three said:

Superb rig and fabulous with the six string I’d imagine.  My favourite pre but interesting to hear how you get on with the power amp. I’m on my third (stereo 250) and find that they impart some harmonic colour, a kind of fine grit. Musical but a bit unexpected - I tend to use my pre through the back end of a db750 where complete cleanliness is required.  I hope that you have sound floors. A very substantial stack (and if you need to add a few pounds, I think that Thomann still have a few of the Warwick dedicated 3u cases). Lovely to see the complete set - stunning!

It works beautifully with my 6 string. Its a great sounding bass regardless of the amp, but through this rig it sounds rich and sweet in a totally new way. I haven't cranked it yet for obvious reasons but can't wait to see how it sounds in a bigger room where I can push it a little!

It's interesting you mention the power amp, I discovered the exact same thing. I played through a Hellborg rig back in 2008/9, but was in a room with a bunch of other gear (trade show) so didn't notice the harmonic grit. I wasn't sure if it was a fault or not so I went back to an old copy of bass player mag where they reviewed this rig (club cab rather than Hi Cab) and they mentioned this very characteristic. Its certainly unique and takes some getting used to, but adds a lovely warmth to the sound, especially after the transformers have fully warmed up. I've never played through anything that has this blend of warmth and clarity, and the dynamic range and attack are amazing. 

Really happy to have the dream rig assembled! obviously it still has to pass the acid test of being gigged, but the signs are very encouraging!

ben

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

@bartelby - that rig has left me feeling confused, slightly violated, but overall warm and fuzzy. 

How do the smaller cabs compare tonewise? 

There’s more low end and things are a little more defined. Whether this is solely the cabs, or less air being moved means I can turn the amp up a touch more, or a combination of the two I’m not sure. But it’s enough of a difference to make me totally unsure of what cab(s) to get next.

Although these cabs are small they’re not lightweight. The 4x8” is getting on for 30kgs. And I’d prefer a single cab solution.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2020 at 10:54, bartelby said:

After doing some hard thinking over that last few weeks I decided to do a bit of downsizing. I’ve donated the Ashdown 8x10” and a Laney 4x10” to a local music venue. They will be used as in house backline, once gigs happen again, and also in their new recording studio they’re setting up in their basement.

So for now my rig is this (apologies in advance to those of a sensitive nature):

8E4DDF05-2DBC-4FF5-BA30-A497BD7EA315.thumb.jpeg.e62cc189cab188015fb139a9f57b7847.jpeg

it sounds bloody good. In fact I prefer it to the 8x10”. Next year I’ll be looking for something new, cab wise. Not decided on what yet...

When you do get a new cab next year, if you decided to sell those on I might be interested. I've been thinking about a Mini48 / Mini15 double stack. 🤔

In my 10+ years on this forum, I’ve seen countless members remark that if only they were younger and had a better back, they’d be running X or Y rig.

I therefore feel it is my civic duty as a 28 year old with a functioning spine, to own such a rig. Sadly it’s consigned to a storage unit at the moment because COVID.

I present you a ‘97 USA made SVT-II Pro, complete with a battered USA made SVT-810E. 

3E759503-6A74-4541-B885-5AB678211821.thumb.jpeg.0f35780135ad4a93c918a6f5feb6fa39.jpeg

Yes, it truly is what dreams are made of.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bankai said:

In my 10+ years on this forum, I’ve seen countless members remark that if only they were younger and had a better back, they’d be running X or Y rig.

I therefore feel it is my civic duty as a 28 year old with a functioning spine, to own such a rig. Sadly it’s consigned to a storage unit at the moment because COVID.

I present you a ‘97 USA made SVT-II Pro, complete with a battered USA made SVT-810E. 

3E759503-6A74-4541-B885-5AB678211821.thumb.jpeg.0f35780135ad4a93c918a6f5feb6fa39.jpeg

Ooooff.... Don't get better than that💪

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

Ooooff.... Don't get better than that💪

What if I told you that it’s loaded with KT88s instead of the usual 6550s..

Making the great, even better!

Edited by Bankai
  • Sad 1

One downside to an SVT. Chap I know had the transformer come loose when it was on end. It dropped through all the valves on its way down...

8 minutes ago, Bankai said:

What if I told you that it’s loaded with KT88s instead of the usual 6550s..

Making the great, even better!

I had kt88 's in my old svt swapped for tung sol 6550...didnt notice a huge diffence

3 hours ago, Bankai said:

Oh my Lord, what a fantastic rig. You are truly blessed,  enjoy young man while you are able to immerse yourself in such heritage. 

4 minutes ago, mar_to_the_t said:

My different setups in the rehearsal room. What would be your choice?

IMG_20201122_144626_718.jpg

Having played a DB751, I can unreservedly say the Aguilar!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mar_to_the_t said:

What's yours? Aggi and the 410 💪

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, mar_to_the_t said:

All at the same time!

• Like 1

On 22/11/2020 at 20:47, danbowskill said:

What's yours? Aggi and the 410 💪

It depends. Probably the Forté HP and the HD322 stack. But for the bigger venues I got a second AE 410. And the Aguilar with 8x10 is just massive

• Like 1

On 22/11/2020 at 19:16, mar_to_the_t said:

Aguilar + Berg 410