Why become a member? ×

Want a P bass!

davebass66

Ok so after some more specific posts I've decided to just put it out there and ask you guys what you think the best P style bass to get is.....

Obvs i know a lot of people will say Fender but just wanted to test the water, see what else is out there...

I currently own a Jazz deluxe 4 string and a Sei 5 string and a fretless warwick thumb, so a nice thumpy P would complete my needs.... :)

Been thinking a bout the Nash basses but can't find anyone that has one or has played one so guys let me know what you think i should try out...budget is up to 1500

Dave

Whoa, £1500 will get you alot of P-Bass. With that kind of budget, there are 3 I`d try out, namely:
Current Fender American Standard - gets a lot of rave reviews (I`d try both maple and rosewood necked versions tho)
Fender 1957 AV Reissue - nice wide maple neck, original split-coil sound
Fender 1962 AV Reissue - rosewood neck, more Motown-y sound

Think after that, as you`ll know where you are with Fenders, then try different brands, Nash/Lakland/Shuker etc, see if they are to your liking, or if the simplicity, not to mention originality of the Fenders is where you want to be.

Wd be very interested to see which you eventually settle on, as am sure many others on here will be too.

[quote name='davebass66' post='952927' date='Sep 11 2010, 05:42 PM']Ok so after some more specific posts I've decided to just put it out there and ask you guys what you think the best P style bass to get is.....

Obvs i know a lot of people will say Fender but just wanted to test the water, see what else is out there...

I currently own a Jazz deluxe 4 string and a Sei 5 string and a fretless warwick thumb, so a nice thumpy P would complete my needs.... :)

Been thinking a bout the Nash basses but can't find anyone that has one or has played one so guys let me know what you think i should try out...budget is up to 1500

Dave[/quote]
Fender USA Standard for your buck and it just so happens I have one to hand....TA DAAAAAAAAA :rolleyes:

[quote name='davebass66' post='952950' date='Sep 11 2010, 06:04 PM']Thanks Lozz.....How do the newer Fender P's compare to the 70's ones? there's a 76 on Ebay at the moment for 1400...[/quote]
Its simply a matter of taste and to be honest SNOBBERY.........................I have guitars from the 50,s & 60's that are worth a lot on paper,In truth they sound or play no better or worse than lesser known guitars I can buy for £200 to £4oo on the high street.......obviously in amongst them are those I have preference for,they make ME feel good....................................NOTHING can make ME sound any good
Go try a few old & new .....make up your own mind....its worth the effort

My P-bass stable currently comprises an Alleva-Coppolo KPB5, a Bravewood custom modelled on a late 60's Fender, a 1976 Fender, and a Status Vintage PJ4.

Given what you already own, I suggest you try the Status. I got mine as part of a trade, thinking at the time that I'd probably pass it on quite quickly. Six months later, it's still in my rack and still being played frequently.

I'm not saying it's "as good as" or "better than" the other three ... just that it holds its place very comfortably, the graphite neck produces a wonderful punch to go with the thump, and for real-world use it's rather nice to be able to switch to a J-type burpy sound by just rolling a single control.

It's also way cheaper than the other three, and much more easily obtained. :)

It totally depends on what you want. I own 3 vintage P-basses so they are obviously what I like but the modern ones are excellent and I'm sure the Nash ones are very good too. The Fender AV series is excellent but it completely depends on what your needs are. Your budget will mean you certainly will be able to get a great bass

Found myself in this position a few years ago, tried out a lot of different P's, ended up getting a Bacchus Woodline P Classic. Search over, permanently.

There are obvious brands and there are other things to consider, I mean, for the price of a Nash or a vintage Fender you could get a P built and relic'd to your satisfaction by any of the fantastic luthiers there in the UK. I don't buy into the vintage schtick at all and I'd wager that your chances of getting the bass you're looking for are far better if you take that route than if you take a gamble on something old on ebay, for example.

My 2 cents

I had a '78 P bass a few years back in my old band. Got some really decent growl going thru an Ashdown head but what a neck! It twas big. I have played a Lakland BG or 64 I think they are calling it now but its neck was very 'modern' yet familiar its a Lakland so known for their neck profiles - slimmer yet wider than my current bass - an 08 USA Fender and I have to say the Fender from the 08 upgrades are really nice. For me it feels right sounds great (however I did just put a Nordstrand in mine tho the Fender stock p/u did look to be pretty solidly built, ever so slight overwind, good thick quality wires)

The new USA's are well worth a look and well within your budget - after that its basically a matter of personal preference and if you wanna spend £1500 just to spend the money.

I know of a 79 P bass, immaculate condition, literally been hiding under a bed in a case for the last 30 years with absolute minimal wear that you could get for about £1300. Its got a big P neck but that same classic tone and oomph. I'd go so far as to say this particular example is commanding!

Good luck and keep us posted of you quest :)

G

Re the 08 onwards P-Basses, they seem to get murch lurve evrywhere, no-one, aside from the Fender haters seem to have a bad word to say about them. I`ve played a couple, and do think they are seriously good, but then, I only have P-Basses, so I`m probably biased.

Re the 70s ones, from all accounts, they can be very heavy, some at abt 11 lbs, whereas my MIAs are 8.8/8.10, however the weight and density is reputed to have a direct influence on the sound - I say reputed, as I`ve not played one, so no 1st-hand knowledge. Certainly though, If you find a 70s one that is good, with a great tone, its unlikely to depreciate in value, where anything bought new will (until they become vintage themselves, that is, only 25yrs to wait).

Def worth starting out by trying the USA Standard though, just to get a benchmark.

I love Precisions for the same reason that Jeremy Clarkson loves Alfas, not despite their limitations, but because of them. If I had £1500 to spend in the current economic climate, in which a lot of people are being forced to offload vintage gear at low prices, I'd be looking out for a mid-late 70s Fender. They're not versatile, they're not sophisticated, they're not clever, but generally speaking, even the bad ones, and we're talking heavy, poorly finished (big enough gap at pocket to store your fags in), PUPs/bridge off-line etc., still have THAT tone

C

My 2p:
If I were you I'd play as many different makes and models as possible and buy the one that plays, sounds and feels the best for [i]you[/i].
That's pretty much all that matters.
As an example: The Japanese Fender P I owned for a while done all of that and I regret selling it now! It was beat up and modded but it was just right for me.
You live & learn :)

Cheers,
Jon

Nice budget. Just get out to the shops, etc and play as many as you can until you find the ONE. I played a really nice '74 a couple of months ago, light, super comfy neck and that tone £1400. I also really like my RoadWorn (£800) and the Lakland Joe Osborne (£900) that I demoed side by side with it. At the other end of the scale the Squier Classic Vibe 60s Ps are stupidly good value and quality for said price and would make a great chassis for upgrading, a fellow BCer has an upgraded one for sale here IIRC.

Edit for Ebay link for above Squier [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280560853966&rvr_id=138256631294&mfe=sidebar"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...amp;mfe=sidebar[/url] BC link [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101344&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101344&hl=[/url]

Edited by ezbass

Thanks guys...some interesting stuff

General consensus seems to be to try a load of them (won't that be a pain :rolleyes: )

tino whereabouts in herts are you? would love to try your P if its still for sale?

Obvs if i don't have to I'd rather not spend 1500, should be fun doing some discovering tho! :)

[quote name='davebass66' post='953462' date='Sep 12 2010, 12:19 PM']Thanks guys...some interesting stuff

General consensus seems to be to try a load of them (won't that be a pain :rolleyes: )

tino whereabouts in herts are you? would love to try your P if its still for sale?

Obvs if i don't have to I'd rather not spend 1500, should be fun doing some discovering tho! :)[/quote]
Im in Cheshunt near to Junction 25 of the M25,it is still for sale but if you want it best hurry its up on the Bay with loadsa watchers....
It really is mint

[quote name='davebass66' post='953462' date='Sep 12 2010, 12:19 PM']Thanks guys...some interesting stuff

Obvs if i don't have to I'd rather not spend 1500, should be fun doing some discovering tho! :)[/quote]
PMd

I've had a few Preicions, a nice '78 springs to mind, but the best ones were a MIM with a QP in it, and an old MIJ Squier.

You don't have to spend a bomb to find a great Precision. Yes, I guess trying a load out first is the way to go.

When I'm old and knackered (even more than I already am), my plan is to settle down with an old Jazz or Precision at home and play along to CDs. I personally will be after a bog standard Fender rather than some posh bespoke jobbie.