Why become a member? ×

Improvisation on Bass - Completely Pointless

xilddx

Is there a point? Unless you play jazz I can't see one. The occasional inspired extra note here and there, sure, but studying improvisation on a bass!?! It seems ridiculous. Learn to cook instead, it's much more useful and pleasing for other people.

It sounds like a recipe for cheating your audience to me. Only musicians will feel any "magic" happening, and that magic will be VERY rare. The audience won't get it anyway, and why not compose something beautiful in the first place.

For me, improvisation on a bass is for jazz and pompous tits who convince themselves it's entertaining. I wish they would realise NO-ONE GIVES A sh*t.

EDIT: I mean in a live setting.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='948783' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:50 PM']Is there a point? Unless you play jazz I can't see one. The occasional inspired extra note here and there, sure, but studying improvisation on a bass!?! It seems ridiculous. Learn to cook instead, it's much more useful and pleasing for other people.

It sounds like a recipe for cheating your audience to me. Only musicians will feel any "magic" happening, and that magic will be VERY rare. The audience won't get it anyway, and why not compose something beautiful in the first place.

For me, improvisation on a bass is for jazz and pompous tits who convince themselves it's entertaining. I wish they would realise NO-ONE GIVES A sh*t.[/quote]

Does not remembering what I played last time count as improvisation? If so, me = tit :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='silddx' post='948783' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:50 PM']Is there a point? Unless you play jazz I can't see one. The occasional inspired extra note here and there, sure, but studying improvisation on a bass!?! It seems ridiculous. Learn to cook instead, it's much more useful and pleasing for other people.

For me, improvisation on a bass is for jazz and pompous tits who convince themselves it's entertaining. I wish they would realise NO-ONE GIVES A sh*t.[/quote]
Oh bollocks - you've been to one of our gigs haven't you? :)

[quote name='fatback' post='948785' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:51 PM']Does not remembering what I played last time count as improvisation? If so, me = tit :)[/quote]
[quote name='Marvin' post='948795' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:57 PM']Fantastic! Someone exactly like me. :rolleyes:[/quote]
That'll be at least 3 of us then.

I think 'studying improvisation' is a bit of an oxymoron...

I always thought decent improv came from the fact you knew what you were doing and could add notes or change direction within the tune as you felt appropriate.

To be fair i think it certainly has a point, and a place, Jazz being the obvious outlet, but if you have it on hand and you have taste (i.e. don't destroy the tune) it really can add a bit.

For example, i've shoved improvs in when the singer has snapped a string, and once when the guitarists amp broke - nothing flash, just melodic bass parts. But I do start to add parts towards the end of bigger songs.

Let's face it, in an Alt/Country type band me sticking in a bit of 'Run For Cover' would be f***ing stupid.

Improv is excitment, and a real release, and when done well and within the realms of the tune, can be just as rewarding as playing the same bassline note for note as recorded can also be; I enjoy both.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='aj5string' post='948813' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:05 PM']Totally depends on what you mean by improvisation...

Do you play exactly the same bass line every time you play a song? If not, surely your improvising then?[/quote]
I mean real improvising, not chucking in tired old stock fills to show off, or out of boredom.

Does using different blues scales and runs in the same song but in different places each gig mean 'chucking in tired old stock fills to show off'? Surely being able to improvise is a quality that a number of musicians strive for, it doesn't have to sound like trad jazz!! :)

If you're playing a number you're not sure of, surely you are by nature, improvising. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you dont.

I have always truly believed that when it comes to trying to communicate or express a feeling through my chosen instrument, it should be as fluid as conversation itself - and that is what I strive toward. Hell - I have a long way to go but to build up a musical vocabulary that flows from the speakers like speech itself is like nirvana for me I reckon.

And what is day to day conversation? It's closer to improvisation than reading off the page for sure! So for me, improvisation is very important. You can still stick rigidly to the framework of a song in much the same way that a bunch of people will talk about a certain football manager or whatever - you'd look a bit stupid going off on a tangent about hatstands and hyperthirculators - but my point is - freely improv' in context.

I feel that if you never improvised - how would you ever come up with new ideas? It's jamming that can help gel musicians together and 'bond' musically too.

my thrupenny-bit

I did 3 years of a module called "Improv" at uni.. which taught you not only soloing on your instrument within a pop band.. but each week you would find yourself in a different band, even on the day of the assessment, the bands would shuffle round minutes before the exam, giving you two minutes to hastily come up with a structure between yourselves, and away you go.
Its been really helpful for me, both as a regular in a band and as a dep. It increases confidence and improves your ear... all in all getting you through some tough gigs and ones where the luxury of preparation wasn't available.

For me, improvisation on a bass is for jazz and pompous tits who convince themselves it's entertaining. I wish they would realise NO-ONE GIVES A sh*t.[/quote]You may not care, but lots do, including lots of the audience....its not for everyone granted...

i will sometimes throw in a line that is totally improv, but it is not mantained...its maybe a line running into another chord...maybe you mean 10 min improvisations? Even then if its good i will listen..

where is your creative side?

Edited by bubinga5

Whoah, Bub, you need to listen to some of this music - I can sense a bad mood coming on :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='945834' date='Sep 5 2010, 04:07 AM']this is some of the music that (ok its cheesy) makes me feel good, and gets me out of a bad mood.., and when im pissed off i can listen to makes me feel better....maybe an excuse to play some music i love..

This woman is my go to music for most of my lifes soundtrack...never mind being pissed off...

Anita Baker..Same ole Love...Check the understated Nathan East Slap bass...wonderfull stuff....Im sur Pete and Molan will love this one..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9dytLAEPYE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9dytLAEPYE[/url]

A bit of Floyd....i cant put into words how good this track is...they always blow me away..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDpc04r_QM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDpc04r_QM[/url]

.i used to sit on Bournemouth beach late at night and listen to this song...

George Benson...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pitnJlcv4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pitnJlcv4[/url]

This is just incredible...mesmerising song by Prince..i can never get over how talented this guy is..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRC6LNnlxVA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRC6LNnlxVA...feature=related[/url]

The bass in this Diana Ross track is slick...love the ghost notes comin up to the chorus....[/quote]

Our (BigRoom) songs have a structure that we tend to stick to but often have fully improvised parts in a set chord sequence. We could play the songs the same every time, but we think that's a bit clinical sounding for our style of music.

Improv isn't restricted to jazz & we even did it in our rock band (Frigorifico).

[quote name='silddx' post='948890' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:05 PM']I've been remiss in not making it clear in my OP that I mean in a live setting.

So if you play in a "popular music" type band, when is a good time to improvise on stage? And what is the reason for your improvisation?[/quote]

When the band AND the audience are really getting into a groove and solos need extending and the song kept going, being built up and then brought back down. Sure a bass player could stick to the same notes and phrases while everyone else goes off tangent, but in that type of situation, and I stress once again, when the audience is with you and wants it, then is a good time to improvise.

[quote name='silddx' post='948890' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:05 PM']I've been remiss in not making it clear in my OP that I mean in a live setting.

So if you play in a "popular music" type band, when is a good time to improvise on stage? And what is the reason for your improvisation?[/quote]

Check my earlier post Silddx :) Just my little oppinion

hope your well mate... used the Kopo on a recording. Pure sex.

For me, improvisation on a bass is for jazz and pompous tits who convince themselves it's entertaining. I wish they would realise NO-ONE GIVES A sh*t.

EDIT: I mean in a live setting.[/quote]
Surely the majority of the audience won't be listening to the bass anyway, unless there are bass players there, so its irrelevant as long as you're not ruining the tune.

So if you play in a "popular music" type band, when is a good time to improvise on stage? And what is the reason for your improvisation?[/quote]i think its really hard to say..depends on the song...

I think the reasons, if im honest are mostly to satisfy what i think would sound good..there are not too many out there that listen to the bass alot,.. i think that changes depending on the genre being played...i was watching Julian Crampton play and evryone was clapping when he had finished a little improv whatever....ok it was Julian Crampton, but more people are aware of bass than you think...

some people wont even notice youve improvised, but some will....you can bet some audience members wouldnt notice if say a piano, or trumpet improvised...but it doesnt stop musicians doing...

its all about having fun IMHO...of course this is hopefully all in good taste and not to the detrement of the song and largening of the ego... :)

Edited by bubinga5