Why become a member? ×

Bizarre Trade Offers!?

bassatnight

I have recently been offered a bass worth around £200 in a trade for one of my Aria SB1000's. I had assumed the guy would also being giving me at least £500 on top of the trade bass, but no he expected a straight swap! this reminded me of another trade off I recieved a couple of years ago for my American Fender Jazz, the guy in question thought his Mexican with wait for it added Badass bridge was also a fair swap!

Can anyone out there better these Super Trades!?

Steve.

He must have either been optimistic or hallucinating. I've never had anything 'insulting' offered value wise, just not some things I would never want. What bass did you value at £200 ? Unless of course revealing this would reveal the identity of the offerer :).

But i've also had the opposite happen, I had a 1980 Ibanez Musician MC900 (bought for £250) which was in reasonable condition. I was offered a straight swap for a 1996 Stingray (worth £750) about 4 weeks later, without me even saying it was for sale to start with ! Needless to say I snapped his hand off, have since traded several times for equal value.

I swapped a bass for a mountain bike here - suited both of us down to the ground, lol.

I've recently had a laptop & a mobile phone thrown in as potential PX deals - to be honest neither of these was of much interest but I could see where the potential buyer was coming from in terms of the new 'barter' economy that's out there at the moment.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='946101' date='Sep 5 2010, 12:52 PM']I have recently been offered a bass worth around £200 in a trade for one of my Aria SB1000's. I had assumed the guy would also being giving me at least £500 on top of the trade bass, but no he expected a straight swap! this reminded me of another trade off I recieved a couple of years ago for my American Fender Jazz, the guy in question thought his Mexican with wait for it added Badass bridge was also a fair swap!

Can anyone out there better these Super Trades!?

Steve.[/quote]
In the 90,s I had a Honda Moto X for sale on Loot I put exchanges considered,meaning an alternative bike.........................................I traded for a 1955 Fire Engine that I sold on about a week later for a tidy profit... :)

I currently have a Heritage H575 on several sites and have been offered several low end trade exchanges but thats life :rolleyes:

Not on here, but I did swap my mountain bike to our drummer at the time, for his CH12 Vdrum HiHat trigger.

And I was offered an Ibanez SR500/700 bass which I knew had been bought on ebay for £250 (though the guy didn't know that I knew how much he'd paid for it, and where he'd got it. Spun me a tale about seeing it new in a local music shop and had to have it etc) for an ABM500EVO, and 2 x ABM Mini8 4 x 8 cabs.

I was selling an outboard motor for £30, (about 20 years ago), when the guy came to see it he wanted it but said he only had £20 - which I refused.

He said "hang on I'll see what I've got in the car", he came back with a very expensive Williams torque wrench to which I said yeah I like that, then he rumaged in his car again & came out with a lovely pair of Greencat 10x50 binoculars, leather case too.

I said yep OK deal, thinking either of the items he was offering were of greater value than the old outboard & I was on a winner.

Imagine my suprise when he put the motor in his car boot, he came back & gave me the £20 as well! I was speechless, he went away happy & I've still got the torque wrench & the binos but I bet the outboard died years ago!

Not exactly bass related but - that don't happen often :)

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='946178' date='Sep 5 2010, 02:09 PM']that lawnmower thing just cracked me up big time! it was the bit about him driving it to his house at night because it was illegal that really had me creased[/quote]

Well, there's no lights on it.................. :)

Put a Tele on Gumtree with 'Looking for a humbucking guitar - all sensible trades considered'
Was offered an iPhone.
Changed it to 'Looking for a humbucking guitar - all sensible trades considered except for iPhones'
Was offered a digital camera.
Had to write a wee story....

Offered a bass for trade a year ago and some clown came back at me with little pieces of coloured paper with numbers on them (you know, like a big 10 or a big 20) and some crazy writing about [i]paying the bearer on demand[/i] or something.

Well I told him! I said, you must think I just got off the boat if I'm going to take those as trade goods.

I was selling a 1971 MGB GT Chrome bumpers,Tax exempt with a full years MOT and a dealer said he was prepared to "take a gamble and buy it unseen" and send his mechanic with a trailer to collect it for £950! I think F and Off were in the reply :)

Have you noticed when you put a great deal out there to get it sold quick thats when you get the most people messing you around? I sold my 90's Bass collection SB320 with a fitted case for £200 and the guy faffed about with it for an hour, £699 new or £200 in good condition take it or leave it mate...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='946351' date='Sep 5 2010, 04:49 PM']I was selling a 1971 MGB GT Chrome bumpers,Tax exempt with a full years MOT and a dealer said he was prepared to "take a gamble and buy it unseen" and send his mechanic with a trailer to collect it for £950! I think F and Off were in the reply :)

Have you noticed when you put a great deal out there to get it sold quick thats when you get the most people messing you around? I sold my 90's Bass collection SB320 with a fitted case for £200 and the guy faffed about with it for an hour, £699 new or £200 in good condition take it or leave it mate...[/quote]

because if you are in the market for a £200 bass you are likely to know less than if you have £700 to spend?

I sold a 1991 warwick streamer (bluey), it was on basschat at the pretty low price of £700 or something, which was cheap and £100 more than I had bought it for off warwickhunt the year before.
No takers so I stuck it on Gumtree for £1000.
Guy gets in touch, pretty eager tells me he knows all about basses and would like to come and see it.
So he comes around, mentioned he had seen another one on gumtree for £400, (which I don't tell him I had bought and stuck in my flatmates room) so he sits there playing for a bit. (not very well) and rather than come in with a offer, just asks "whats the best price you can do on it"- well I had been prepared to go lower, down to £600 if needs be, but I say £750 without the case, £800 with. I fair whack off what he had come to see it at.

So he mutters, first about it not being a fitted case (it was fine) then about a few dings it had. I'm like it's a 18 year old bass, what do you expect, go buy a new one if thats what you want. (which would cost a bit more than £800) and then leaves saying he doesnt want anything that damaged.
Ok fine, i don't *need* to sell.
Then comes a text "ill give you £400 mate"
no
"ill give you £450 and a rockbass"
no
"ill give you £500 and a jap squire" now this if he had offered it to start i would have taken, but he had pissed me off by now and I told him I didnt need to sell it and i would just stick it under my bed to appreciate or give it to my brother
"ill give you £650"
by which point i ignored him,

the next day "sorry i was being an idiot, ill give you £800 for it"
so i made him come to meet me at work (a coffee shop) where my boss was built like a tank covered in iron maiden tattoos. Funnily he paid up and took this bass he wanted so much.

Two days later it was on ebay at £1200.

He eventually shifted it for £675.... I smiled a bit at that.