Why become a member? ×

One bass only

Rayman

I'm thinking of going back to having one, and one only bass. Just one bass that I can really bond with for gigs, home recording etc.

I currently have 3, the two G&Ls in the for sale section and a Fleabass (which my daughter has her name on so that's staying), but I fancy getting rid of the lot for just one special bass.

There seems to be so many BCers who have dozens of the bloody things. I haven't broken a string in years, so I don't need a back up for gigs.

Anyone else just have the one?

Nope and i never will. The reason is when i havnt played on one of my basses for a while i will go back to it for a certain sound or gig and think wow why am i not using this all the time!?

So if i rotate them i get that same thrill of when you try one in a shop and you think youve got to have it.

Also there is the characteristics. My fretless is never going to sound like my 'ray and vice versa. Also i cant slap on flatwounds so thats my p bass out for slap. But my fretless has 5 strings so il use that when i need the low B.

I think you can spend 1000's on a custom bass that has a john east pre amp or whatever but it will never feel special as there is no character. Its like having a robot for a wife. Itl do everything you want it to but in the most boring and unsatisfying way.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='938164' date='Aug 27 2010, 03:32 PM']I think you can spend 1000's on a custom bass that has a john east pre amp or whatever but it will never feel special as there is no character. Its like having a robot for a wife. Itl do everything you want it to but in the most boring and unsatisfying way.[/quote]

Oh yes I agree 100%, I've played some dire "Expensive" basses, the right name on the headstock, but not one once of soul coming out of it. I've been left cold by some top end stuff, and I've been knocked out by basses that cost a couple of hundred quid.

Its worth having a cheapy one around. I have a P bass that I practice on in front of the TV, on the toilet, basically a bass I can just grab and not worry about denting it. The reason being I have a very curious 1 year old that makes a bee line when ever I get my bass out, so i have the cheap one lying around to snatch up for a quick noodle and I'm not fussed if he gets hold of. You've mentioned the Fleabass is staying so I guess that would suffice.

But in essence having one bass that I use for band rehersals and gigging works for me. Many people have different basses for tone but I play rock and I have a decent amp that can produce some great varied tones so it works for me. If I decided to be in a blues or Jazz band I'd defo get another bass more suited to that style.

I know what you mean.

I recently got rid of all my basses, apart from my Jazz bass. It does all I want.................until...............

All was going well until I saw a G&L SB-2 on here this week and bought it. Now I'll be gigging that tonight coz I love the huge voice of the Pups on this. So....will I end up just using that???

It's an ongoing thing with me, and if you'd sell me your L2500, maybe I'd never use the Jazz or the SB-2 again, coz for me the L2500 are such good all rounders.

Man I feel for you, I hate these decisions.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='938255' date='Aug 27 2010, 04:56 PM']I used to only have one bass.... then I signed up to basschat.[/quote]

Nail on the head.

:)

I know what you mean Doc, I dunno, I just like the idea of having just one and really getting to know it's faults and characteristics. When I had the Kinal, I just loved every inch of it and didn't need anything else, then I got a GAS attack and like an utter pillock I sold it to get a Sadowsky, [i]big[/i] mistake.

So I'm after something along those lines once again.

Sometimes I think it'd make sense, as I only ever play one bass at a time (as in, 'for a couple of months' time, for anyone who wants to be a smartarse :) ) until I get a new one, it seems...then that becomes my new one and only.

Thing is, I get attached to things too easily, I've got three basses and I'd miss any one of them if I chose to sell it. Plus, every now and again, one of my mates will be interested in borrowing one, so it's good to have a spare to lend.

It's nice having some basses around, although they seem to be taking over the place at the moment.

But I could [i]probably[/i] be happy with one fretted 5 and one fretless 5 and sell the rest.... but I'm not going to risk it.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='938255' date='Aug 27 2010, 04:56 PM']I used to only have one bass.... then I signed up to basschat.[/quote]

A quote to end all quotes :) I'm going through an anti-GAS phase too but just one seems a bit pointless for me. If people want dozens, fine, but I don't think there is anything wrong with a small handful of instruments [u]that are getting played[/u] either. If I'm not using it, it goes - simple as that. And I too have seemed to have settled with just the one instrument but it's nice to have a couple in reserve.

[quote name='the_skezz' post='938276' date='Aug 27 2010, 05:22 PM']Thing is, I get attached to things too easily, I've got three basses and I'd miss any one of them if I chose to sell it.[/quote]

My problem is, I don't get attached to them [i]at all[/i]. I have no problem in trading stuff in and out for a laugh. I really wish I could find a bass to fall in love with, and the one bass that did it for me, I let it go because I'm thick.

[quote name='Rayman' post='938286' date='Aug 27 2010, 05:31 PM']My problem is, I don't get attached to them [i]at all[/i]. I have no problem in trading stuff in and out for a laugh. I really wish I could find a bass to fall in love with, and the one bass that did it for me, I let it go because I'm thick.[/quote]
Russ, why not track down that Kinal? Just checked FS threads and BC'er Mickb1773 traded it a few months back, so why not drop him a PM and do a bit of Clouseau work ... and see if you can get it back?

Edited by Clarky

I just love my sadowsky m24. I just don't need another bass, and I really like just playing one. It's the only instrument I've owned that's consistantly sounded great in every context. All the tones are there for me, I don't need another.

I also own a great double bass. I sold my last fretless but I never used it on gigs so for me one bass is the way forward.

...only problem is choosing one? :-)

I've got one that's knackered that I don't play. But it was my first bass so that lives under the bed. Probably only to come out every now and again for me to go "aaahhhh..." and put it back. That one doesn't count. It's retired.

Other than that I like to keep two basses. If one doesn't get played enough it get's sold on when I see another one I think be able to compete for number one spot.

If I don't see one I keep both. I never upgrade No.2

[quote name='the_skezz' post='938276' date='Aug 27 2010, 05:22 PM']Thing is, I get attached to things too easily, I've got three basses and I'd miss any one of them if I chose to sell it. Plus, every now and again, one of my mates will be interested in borrowing one, so it's good to have a spare to lend.[/quote]

Just the one bass for me, and I've got a major love affair going with her. Since joining basschat the GAS has hit for a new rig, dealt with, but just confirms my deep and undying attachment for Edith. I didn't name her.

[quote name='Clarky' post='938287' date='Aug 27 2010, 05:33 PM']Russ, why not track down that Kinal? Just checked FS threads and BC'er Mickb1773 traded it a few months back, so why not drop him a PM and do a bit of Clouseau work ... and see if you can get it back?[/quote]

I know [i]exactly[/i] where it is mate, but it's current owner doesn't fancy a trade, because I've asked. Mick moved it on a while ago, but I know where to. So if I want it back, which I do, I'll have to sell the G&Ls for cash, which in the current climate is difficult. I need to give it some thought though.

I know where the OP is coming from. I have one Precision that I use for rehearsals and gigs, always take a backup ut have never needed it yet. The others are part of my collection - a collection that I don`t need, just want. Think it wd be so easy on my brain to just have the one that did it all, but its just not in my personality type. And am just looking at yet another Precision, so very unlikely I`ll ever be bass-monogamous.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='938164' date='Aug 27 2010, 03:32 PM']Its like having a robot for a wife. Itl do everything you want it to but in the most boring and unsatisfying way.[/quote]

Yeah but I bet you can turn the bloody robot wife off when she is doing your head in, pull the plug or, switch it off like, know what I mean? :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I always need two so I have a back up at a gig. Saying that the back up is the Squier Affinity.

You could probably get away with one bass though. I do love my Sadowsky Metro and my Vigier but when if it came down to me only having one bass it would be my Fender Precision bass every time!