Why become a member? ×

Confession time!

michael-faces

Is there anything about you and your bass that you have reason to be ashamed or embarrased about?

Have you ever messed up really badly? Fallen off the stage? Turned down your rhythm guitarist's amp? Are you a punk bassist (hehe)? Do you think Sid Vicous was a good bass player?

Let go of those pent up secrets that you've buried inside yourself, and let the basschat community know...

Well, on tuesday, the band of delinquents I am in practiced Bad romance by Lady Gaga. Suggested by the drummer (always a bad sign), the guitarist loved it, the singer hates it, I don`t really give a monkey`s as it`s a laff but we might play it tonight!

Here endeth the confession. I`m away to play in a cardboard box for a while. :wacko:

Jez

In my Glam / Punk days I've fallen off stage drunkenly adjusting my mic stand, kicked my only bass around the stage & broke the nut in what I can only describe as an onstage hissy fit :wub: I've also been so drunk I had to be propped up by the fire exit door - thankfully this was offset by the guitarist crawling across the stage on his hands & knees looking for his dropped plectrum. Luckily I've calmed down a lot now.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='931932' date='Aug 21 2010, 02:51 PM']I play country.[/quote]

Me too, but without the shame :)

I smacked over a spare microphone stand (microphone attached) at a open mic gig last night while running around and swinging the bass a bit whilst playing 'Territorial Pissings'...fortunately, the blokes in charge didn't seem to care that I might have damaged it XD

Pulled my lead out once...was a bit drunk at the time, so was having a hard time judging how far I could walk away from the amp...

Oh, and I've nearly smacked my singer's head with the headstock on several occasions :)

And yes, OP, I am a punk bassist...you take the mickey, I'll do something really violent and rebellious against you...like set Nancy Spungen on you, or release a perfume under the band name...

Fell over cut my hand open on a pint glass.
Smashed my bass up and split and bent the headstock with two tunes left.
Played Jump and Living on a prayer in a covers band
insulted other bands by hitting on their girlfriends (didn't Know)
Had to propped up against a wall to play a gig has had been on 48hr bender (not so legal). God knows how i did!

Oh yeah, how could i forgot the big one. I sing in a ridiculous piss take band (hence the avatar and username), that writes songs about bizarre or disgusting themes. One of them is about masturbation that includes a line about walking in on your parents having sex. My mother turned up to a gig we were playing and cme to the front whilst i sang the song. That w
as quite embarrasing. Here it is if your interested

[attachment=57164:_Put_it_...bank____.mp3]

I offend bassists by playing bass.
Ive fallen over more times than i can count.
Ive danced with drunk old men at a family festival in kenilworth. (also drunk)
Been so drunk ive had to lie on the floor.
My other half says i dont dance i weeble.
I was in a band and the guitarist was desperate to play american idiot so he started playing and the rest of the band joined in so i refused threw my bass up found out the celing was alot lower than i thought and hit the roof bass come back down hit the floor and put a huge crack in my bass.

I do wonder about myself. :s

I played the Intro to NIB by Black Sabbath at a gig in Galashiels and only realised when the guitarist came in that I'd began playing it in the wrong key. We had to stop and start again - my worst mistake ever.

At the quiet bits in Do You Love Me by the Contours I play a slap bass part and the last time it does it a variation of 'Popeye'

I sometimes do a Status quo type rocking of my bass when playing

When we're giving the wedding guests a run through of a Dashing White Sargeant I tap some of the bassline.

A few months ago we were playing Don't believe a word by thin Lizzy and I began playing Wishing Well by Free

[quote name='iamapirate' post='931969' date='Aug 21 2010, 03:57 PM']I trust ashdowns not to blow up.[/quote]

Me too, let me know about that support group

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='932321' date='Aug 21 2010, 10:36 PM']I once played disco basslines in a manner so sleazy that the (female) drummer's boyfriend threatened to beat me up.[/quote]

That's brilliant, I wonder what he thought was going to happen? that she'd be seduced?

Years ago i turned to face the drummer to give each other the eye / nod on a big beat, he hit the crash, which bounced off the headstock of my bass then cut my lip as i was turning round (on a v. small stage), i still can't work out quite how that happened, but fortunately it was at the end of the last song.