Why become a member? ×

which bass for £1500

jazzbob

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='104926' date='Dec 16 2007, 02:37 PM']My opinion would be that there is really no need to spend anywhere near £1500 to get a really excellent bass.

Half that should suffice, leaving you the option of two basses, a bass and amp setup, or just some money ;-)

Seriously though, ask yourself this, would even a £500 bass actually hold your playing, and your music back?[/quote]

+1
If you feel the need to go this much then its a custom with pretty woods or a vintage that will hold (investment) value. One of these would be lost on me - I'd be scared of using it, every ding would cost about £100. IMHO £7-800 will buy a good bass that shouldn't hold anyones playing back.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='104926' date='Dec 16 2007, 02:37 PM']My opinion would be that there is really no need to spend anywhere near £1500 to get a really excellent bass.

Half that should suffice, leaving you the option of two basses, a bass and amp setup, or just some money ;-)

Seriously though, ask yourself this, would even a £500 bass actually hold your playing, and your music back?[/quote]

You are of course correct, but if you happen to have a soft spot for a particular instrument then it can be an expensive addiction. It's like this with cars - you can get a perfectly good car for a fraction of what some people pay, but many choose to pay more!

[quote name='ped' post='104932' date='Dec 16 2007, 02:55 PM']You are of course correct, but if you happen to have a soft spot for a particular instrument then it can be an expensive addiction. It's like this with cars - you can get a perfectly good car for a fraction of what some people pay, but many choose to pay more![/quote]

Let's hear it for the consumer society, and all the good and bad that it entails :)

I was forced into some xmas shopping yesterday and have to say that it really annoyed me watching people buy all this disposable crap that won't ever be used - far better to spend it on something which will be used and loved every day - when it is something as personal as a bass guitar then price becomes irrelevant - be it expensive or cheap - it is about feel and sound. It is however unfortunate we have to pay for them at all!

[quote name='ped' post='104937' date='Dec 16 2007, 03:07 PM']...it really annoyed me watching people buy all this disposable crap that won't ever be used - far better to spend it on something which will be used and loved every day[/quote]

I'll send back your USB Humping Dog then...

[url="http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/3322298/USB-Humping-Dog/Product.html"]http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/332...og/Product.html[/url]

Erm... quite a lot to go on there, thanks everyone.

Could take me some time to work through these suggestions, I got half way through the list but I had to go out and get my hair cut and my nails trimmed back (curling over into my palms) also I hadn't eaten for 36 hours, just staring at one fantastic bass after another. Really, I think I am going to have to write a list and then go and hunt them out and get my mitts on them.

I am in the south east (bit of a problem re: Shuker basses but they look so good I would probably make the trek). Can anyone give me a steer on where to sample some of the beauties mentioned in the south east, Brighton and Eastbourne area especially (or places to avoid...) also where the custom shops are close to me, I know GB basses already but other than that I am guessing there are plenty around?

Jazzbob

[quote name='jazzbob' post='105016' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:25 PM']I am in the south east (bit of a problem re: Shuker basses but they look so good I would probably make the trek). Can anyone give me a steer on where to sample some of the beauties mentioned in the south east,Jazzbob[/quote]

Where in the SE are you?

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='104901' date='Dec 16 2007, 12:45 PM']This thread seems to be people telling the bloke what their basses are![/quote]
The OP was asking what to spend £1500 on. I've done that twice and both times ended up with a GB.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='jazzbob' post='105016' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:25 PM']I am in the south east (bit of a problem re: Shuker basses but they look so good I would probably make the trek). Can anyone give me a steer on where to sample some of the beauties mentioned in the south east, Brighton and Eastbourne area especially (or places to avoid...) also where the custom shops are close to me, I know GB basses already but other than that I am guessing there are plenty around?

Jazzbob[/quote]

I cant imagine why anyone would trek up to Shukerland when they have GB on their doorstep - what you save in getting a cheaper bass you are gonna spend on petrol/diesel making the treks. Up to you I guess. Others I considered.

Status in Colchester.
Zoot in Witham.
Sei in London.

Guitar Junction in Worthing used to stock Overwater.

"Can anyone give me a steer on where to sample some of the beauties mentioned in the south east, Brighton and Eastbourne"

£15 (or so) out of your £1500 would take you to the Gallery in Camden - here you can try much of what's been discussed above (including Sei - built on the premises). A trip to London is probably a wise investment - try as many high-end basses as you can before parting with £1500 - it's a lot of cash and you want something that's right for you.

On the 'noise' issue, I've been fortunate enough to have played/owned a good few exotic and vintage basses and in my experience, high price/hand-built doesn't always equate to low-noise. Despite some obvious advantages of hand-building (outstanding beauty and delicious playability for two), I sometimes find there's a little more idiosyncracy and fragility associated with high-end custom basses...this extends to electronics.

[quote name='jazzbob' post='104741' date='Dec 15 2007, 07:37 PM']So before I get hypnotised by the Urge's looks (if not the slightly dodgy name) what else would you recommend for a good all rounder for under £1500? Do you have to spend a lot more for 'real quality' or can you get a rock solid, electronically quiet, good looking, narrow neck, no hassle bass for that price.[/quote]
I haven't actually lived with a Schecter at all but from playing a few, the Schecter Studio-4 could well fit your neck needs - shallow rather than narrow, I think. Worth trying one out anyway. You could buy at least four of them for your budget...

[quote name='ped' post='104937' date='Dec 16 2007, 03:07 PM']I was forced into some xmas shopping yesterday and have to say that it really annoyed me watching people buy all this disposable crap that won't ever be used - far better to spend it on something which will be used and loved every day - when it is something as personal as a bass guitar then price becomes irrelevant - be it expensive or cheap - it is about feel and sound. It is however unfortunate we have to pay for them at all![/quote]

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
For example; Do I put some 17" alloys on my beaten up car.. OR.. Buy a bass that'll give me decades of enjoyment?
Bit of a no-brainer, really.
Spend away.
£1500, however spent, ought to get you something really nice.
Even at this price, don't rule out second-hand instruments. You could get a really nice piece of exotica;

Smith
Sadowsky
Alembic
Sei

and so on...

A trip to London is certainly in the offing and thanks for the advice on places to try things out.

On the side, I am drawn to the Shuker basses, I notice he has a P/J option for some of the custom basses (listed under the P-basses I think). Anyone have experience of that mix? That 'potential' (unless it just [i]looks[/i] good) is what draws me to the Fender Urge II as well as its classic looks.

If I could get that bass custom made with copper-canned electronics that might be more than enough for me to handle.

Jazzbob

[i]Any[/i] luthier worth his salt will listen to and accommodate pretty much anything you want -- unless what you want is an unworkable load of old bollocks, in which case any luthier worth his salt will tell you that it's an unworkable load of old bollocks. :)

For £1500 you're going to be order a new custom from just about any UK luthier except Bass Surgery (are they still going? - the web site's gone), Gus or Sei. There have been plenty of suggestions already in this thread. Check the web sites and talk to those luthiers who's designs catch your fancy. They're all going to be wonderful playing and sounding basses.

With strong £ vs $ you could even consider a US luthier...

And finally don't forget that a custom will take at least 3 months to build so there's always time to save up some more for that extra fancy top or hardware if that's what you want.