Why become a member? ×

which bass for £1500

jazzbob

£1500 is a fair chunk of cash to spend on a bass, so it is best to know what you want: try as many as you can!

I'm not going to recommend any specific brand as it's a very personal thing, and to be honest I quite like the diversity we have here (I wish I could have one of each). My main recommendation is like food to 'buy British', as I think it's best both now and in the long term, but on the other hand, with the strong £ you can pick up some bargains from the US and Europe.

If you want quiet though, its best to go for active p'ups like EMG, MEC or a variety of others. Next best is humbuckers in parallel: they cancel most noise. Then humbuckers in series, they cancel a bit less. Finally single coils let everything through: noise and all the subtle nuances of your playing (good or bad).

get the jazz looked at and shielded, buy yourself a new cable, dont play near any strip lights, make sure you always have some part of one of your hands in contact with a string, take the wife/girlfriend/future girlfriend out for a lovely meal and give the other £1000 to your local hospice.

Otherwise just go to some of the bass shops and buy whatever feels/sounds good to you. I mean if it does what you want it too who cares if it's a shuker or a stagg?