Why become a member? ×

if you could have your own sig bass by any compnay you want...

nash

what would it be?

mine would be by fender and it would be:

jaguar body
geddy lee neck
1 lindy fralin P PUP
badass 2
Hipshot ultra lites fender style tuners
1 classic jazz style vol control

colours:
SB
white
black

all with either brown shell, gold anodized, black, red perloid or white s/p

Edited by nash

I think the great thing these days, is with the amount of excellent Luthiers out there, the possibility of having an instrument to your own specification; a 'signature model' as it were is far more attainable than ever previously.

Here's mine!

34" Scale
Tuned F# to C (Low to high) on standard gauge strings.
2 EMG DC active pickups
EMG 18v 2 band preamp
Individual quick release monorail bridge pieces.
White Ash body with deep scoops and extended lower horn for comfort and steady playing position.
7 piece laminate Maple/Wenge neck (with strengthening inserts and dual truss rods designed to have very little bow/relief to allow for tapping and 'Chapman Stick' style playing.)
Top grade Birdseye Maple fingerboard with a high gloss lacquer finish.
High gloss Mystic 'Violet Dreams' flip paint (main colours are violet to green flip)
My custom heel cut away strengthened with neck inserts to allow full access all the way up to the 24th Fret
My design 'ramp' placed between the pickups and is height/angle adjustable.
The bass also features a personalised fretboard inlay and signed, engraved covers / headstock to finish off the 'signature' build.

The latest addition is the Gotoh tuners that apparently are lighter than the Hipshot equivalents. They are luverlee!

I think mine would just be the Fleabass that I already have but with another humbucker in the neck position and coil tap. Oh and I'd have stingray pickups and preamp in it.

I'd also change the colour from blue flake to pearl purple.

Interesting - especially since I'm about to go down the custom route for another bass guitar.

I think that for most of us there will be a slight disconnect between what we think we want and what actually works in practice for us. I have a list a specifications for my "dream bass" but the only way I'll ever be able to tell whether right or not is to have it made and play it for a bit. The sort of R&D required for a true signature instrument is one that only the really big manufacturers can absorb, as the player works their way through the various options seeing what works and what doesn't.

For the moment to play along, my current dream bass would be a Gus G3 4 string fretless, with 2 Gus Tube humbuckers and the ACG John East filter pre-amp. Fingerboard extended to the neck pup and ramp between pups. Slight modification to the body at the lower "cut away" to allow even further access to the higher notes. Finish in Gus G1 10 style white carbon with blue side and face LEDs and chrome hardware.

I find the prospect of creating my own custom bass daunting, having already done it once and ended up with a bit of a lemon which I progressively modified into... ...a modified lemon. :)

One bass would have to be all things to me and my tastes range from Jaydee to Smith to Musicman. Clearly an unreasonable request, so I haven't bothered. In terms of the sound in my head, only one bass has hit the spot (and its not a Smith) but the maker has told me he's not interested in making custom instruments unless he's commissioned on an hourly rate.

I think I'd be more comfortable tweaking an existing design rather than starting from scratch.

Hmmm well the dream bass would be a customised Thumb, simple as that really, or a Streamer after seeing some fo the customs they've made on their site.

But lately I've been toying greatly with a jazz bass idea which hopefully someday will come to fruition.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='9273' date='May 30 2007, 03:35 PM']Mine would have a magic 5th string which disappeared with the flick of a switch.[/quote]

If your switch broke though, what would you do? God forbid any bass player would have to play a bassline using only 4 strings??? :)

[quote name='Josh' post='9258' date='May 30 2007, 03:13 PM']Hmmm well the dream bass would be a customised Thumb, simple as that really, or a Streamer...[/quote]

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='9273' date='May 30 2007, 03:35 PM']Mine would have a magic 5th string which disappeared with the flick of a switch.[/quote]

I like the idea of a custom THUMB! maybe with special attachments for cooking like a swiss army knife for bass players or a button under the nail to active superfastslap-mode?
Disappearing strings sound cool!
how about lasers instead of strings like the "light harp" idea?

simply wave your hand over the bass and lovely tunes would come out!

Mine would be all new hi-tech composites and electronics to disguise the horrible sound properties taht would create. super expensive and sexy looking hitech art gallery nonsense - That's what i want (just after I win the lottery).
:) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='tinyviking' post='10274' date='May 31 2007, 11:16 PM']I like the idea of a custom THUMB! maybe with special attachments for cooking like a swiss army knife for bass players or a button under the nail to active superfastslap-mode?
Disappearing strings sound cool!
how about lasers instead of strings like the "light harp" idea?

simply wave your hand over the bass and lovely tunes would come out!

Mine would be all new hi-tech composites and electronics to disguise the horrible sound properties taht would create. super expensive and sexy looking hitech art gallery nonsense - That's what i want (just after I win the lottery).
:) :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Just look at the streamers and thumbs they have in the custom gallery man:

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/frame/frame.php?goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.warwick.de%2Fmodules%2Fcustom_shop%2Fcustom_shop.php%3FkatID%3D2093%26mtpl%3Dinfo"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/frame/frame....3%26mtpl%3Dinfo[/url]

Edited by Josh

[quote name='dlloyd' post='10262' date='May 31 2007, 10:59 PM']It'd be a fairly "standard" Bongo6.

I've been in love with this bass since I was mucking around with photoshop a couple of years ago....

Or maybe even an SR6...

I'd tune it E to E, like a guitar.

As for custom options, EBMM basses sound right to me already, and I probably wouldn't bother. Maybe a passive option?

Sadly, I can't imagine being able to afford either any time soon.[/quote]

the sr does look really nice. good skillz

this is a tough one!

in nearly 30 years of playing the perfect fit for me has been my yamaha attitude mk I.

considering the tone is in our hands it would be almost impossible to decide on a custom signature that brought out our individuality! at best we use our ears, hope and finally guess but most times our eyes and spec sheets get the better of us.

warwick, schuker, goodfellow all beautifully made and crafted basses but all much of a muchness - now dont shoot me - kuthiers at the top of their trade crafting fine basses to modern availabilty of resources.

lately it would seem to me that a vast majority of new, moderate and experienced players are plumping for a yamaha bb414/16? anyway loads of forums reviews and positive comments out there......and yamaha have made a massive killing out of them globally!

it is tough!

but if we are that good then we should be able to play sounding great on any old rubbish!

Edited by andy67

I'd like a Five string Lakland decade USA 35" scale, rosewood fingerboard with pearl block markers & side LEDs.
transparent red finish on a mahogany body with b/w/b pickguard & Black headstock. Strung with Thomastik JF-355 flatwounds. A pair of Fred Hammon's darkstar pickups & a John East U-retro with black knobs.

I'm not sure when the 5 string version of the darkstars will be available though.

It'd be a Status of some kind. Possibly a 5-string model of the new version of the T-Bass, with transparent black finish, graphite scratchplate, Sadowsky guts and white LEDs.

In fact, I had a rather interesting chat with Rob Green the other day... that's all I'll say for now. :)