Why become a member? ×

The Nightfly

Pete Academy

Definately a classic album. I used to have it on tape years ago, but all I've got now is the track Walk Between The Raindrops featuring Will Lee.

I had to learn this track when I was at the Bass Institute and have since taught it to some of my students when I feel they need something a bit more challenging. In fact today I was going through it with my latest student (a 40 year old female who still hasn't signed up to Bass Chat!). We started looking at the track a few weeks ago and unfortunatley it was one of those lesson where she took all of the hour just (about) to catch up to where she was last time. Hoepfully next lesson we'll get through the solo and D section.

Now, I may have to get hold of this album again.

I worked for a while for the company that released teh DVD's and did the TV sales for this series - they had to go for really populist stuff to make the TV sales and to make the money work, hence stuff like the Nightfly, where the main appeal was to us muso types, and probably out gigging when the series airs, didn't get a look in.

I could say so much about this album (as Pete knows!) but instead just listen. Moving listeners to that musical nirvana is the quest of any good album and the Nightfly is one of the few that does it for me. The smooth-nesss, the neo-retro feel to all the tracks, the excellent bass player and the feel of the whole album.

Buy. Listen. Love! :)

It's one hell of an album. Even if you don't like the music, the production in it is so professional and clean. Supposedly a lot of producers still use it to reference the quality of their monitor systems in the studio... not to mention the caliber of musicians on the album... reads like a who's who of 70's and 80's session musicians.

Brilliant album. IGY is my favourite, only AJ could have the audacity to not play on the one. Green Flower St is an awesome groove and New Frontier is a masterclass in note placement. What else can you say - AJ, Chuck Rainey, Marcus, Abe Laboriel and Will Lee on one album. Then there's the other musicians - Greg Phillinganes, James Gadson, Jeff Porcaro, Randy and Michael Brecker, Valerie (of Ashford and) Simpson, Larry Carlton, Ed Green, Steve Jordan and Steve Khan. Strange he never toured or followed it up.

I was listening to it today as it happens. Faves are IGY, Nightfly and Goodbye Look. I don't even listen to the bass on any of them, the songs are too good. It's a great effort to try isolating any instrument on that album, except perhaps the sublime tones and note choices of Larry Carlton.

[quote name='mep' post='894191' date='Jul 13 2010, 09:35 PM']I had to learn this track when I was at the Bass Institute and have since taught it to some of my students when I feel they need something a bit more challenging. In fact today I was going through it with my latest student (a 40 year old female who still hasn't signed up to Bass Chat!). We started looking at the track a few weeks ago and unfortunatley it was one of those lesson where she took all of the hour just (about) to catch up to where she was last time. Hoepfully next lesson we'll get through the solo and D section.[/quote]

This may help (bearing in mind XB26354's alterations to my chords)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59948&hl=walk+between+the+raindrops"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...n+the+raindrops[/url]

[quote name='Bilbo' post='894443' date='Jul 14 2010, 09:37 AM']This may help (bearing in mind XB26354's alterations to my chords)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59948&hl=walk+between+the+raindrops"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...n+the+raindrops[/url][/quote]

Do you know, I think The Goodbye Look is the only track I've never seen a transcription for. Lucas Pickford doesn't have it and I think all the other tracks have been posted here at some time or another. hmmm afternoon project looming!