Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

monster instrument cables

ianSB

The only thing that distinguishes Monster Cable from any other half-way decent audio cable is their [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable_Products#Trademark_and_Patent"]over-aggressive legal department that seems to go after any other business with 'monster' in their name[/url].

If you want good quality audio cables don't give your money to these corporate bullies but to our very own [url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]OBBM[/url] instead.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='894075' date='Jul 13 2010, 07:15 PM']The only thing that distinguishes Monster Cable from any other half-way decent audio cable is their [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable_Products#Trademark_and_Patent"]over-aggressive legal department that seems to go after any other business with 'monster' in their name[/url].

If you want good quality audio cables don't give your money to these corporate bullies but to our very own [url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]OBBM[/url] instead.[/quote]

haha thats a monstrous list of people they have gone after, i hope they dont get after me for that sentence haha
ill have a look at obbm when i get some new leads :)

I know people who use them and are very happy. Mostly working musos don't mind the price cos they write off against tax. I went with Spectraflex cables this time and am very happy. Quiet, good jacks and don't take anything from the sound. The company were very good at getting back to me on a query I had so that always goes a long way too.
Being that they are cables, I say buy what makes most sense to you.. :)

I really like em. I've used loads of cables and currently own Monster, elixir and zaolla amongst others and I can safely say my preferred brand is monster. I've never had em splay a socket and they are dead quiet with a slight low mid hump and a nice punchy sound by comparison to my other cables. Infact every cable in my set up is monster inc speaker and patch leads. But i bought em back when the pound was much stronger. That said I will most likely try obbm next time.

I use (a bass specific) one I picked up on ebay a few years ago, relatively cheap from the US. I'd just started playing 5 string basses at the time - and there was a definite difference in the low B between the Monster and the 15year old Klotz cable I'd been using. Couldn't hear any difference on the other strings. The Monster was clearer/deeper sounding on the B - but this was listening carefully though headphones. The differences could have been due to a number of reasons, maybe any new-ish cable would have been better than the old one I had, and also the Monster was quite a bit shorter too.
I've been using it since with no problems.

Very good!

IME/O you just need a decently made cable and as mentioned previously our very own OBBM is the man!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='894274' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:13 PM']Monster cables?

Save your money and[url="http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/"] use a coat hanger instead[/url].[/quote]

i strongly believe that as long as a cable has an appropriate gauge, shielding and good contact at both ends, the sound quality is completely indifferent between cables. i've in the past bought a reel of generic shielded cable and used it to make my own instrument cables and can truthfully say that i can't tell a difference between my cheaply made cables and my more expensive fender and monster cables for either bass, guitar or vocals. the internal resistance and material inconsistencies of a pedal even with a true bypass will far surpass that of a cable. I mainly use my fender cable because its tweed so it looks better and doesn't tangle at all like rubberized cables.

Soundwise I can't complain about mine, but I think George L's are better. It's true about the slightly bigger jackplug, I have to fight to get it out of some of my basses. Definitely overpriced.

• 3 months later...

Funnily enough fellow basschatter davemuadib and I spent a geeky afternoon A/Bing cables back to back. We did obbm, (klotz) monster bass, elixir, zaolla, generic cheapo and hotlines. Long story short monster had a VERY obvious, pronounced low mid hump which made em sound deeper and punchier but at the expense of top end sparkle and clarity. Zaolla sounded superb, very neutral and open but with depth and solidity. Obbm sounded very similar to the zaolla, slightly less zingy and airy but very close nonetheless. Just not quite as 'expensive' sounding. The elixir was also good and very flat sounding but a tad uninteresting. The hotlines (old academy of sound cables) were still great I remembered why I liked em. Very punchy and forward sounding, a bit like a loudness button going in.
The zaolla, monster and elixir were thicker and the zaolla felt the best made. The hotlines and obbm cables felt lighter and thinner.
Since doing the test I've retired my monster cables to back ups and bought all obbm's which I'm very pleased with. The transparency goes well with the berg cabs and they are cheaper than zaolla! Also the zaolla crackled at a gig once. And for me that failure onstage once is all I need to drop a cable/bass/amp/pedal from the gig bag!
I still rate monster and never had any issues with them. People that say there are no differences between cables should def spend an afternoon doing some A/B listening to a few brands. It's pretty big differences in some cases, less in others. The biggest difference was the monsters bass boost/(treble cut) to my ears. Maybe Dave will chip in ?
But the differences are there for all to hear! Simply no doubt about that. But onstage with all the rest of the band going ? Well there lies the real debate ;-)
I just like to know my stuff sounds good and is reliable. :-D

Edited by gafbass02

• 2 weeks later...

I've been buying these for years:

[url="http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html"]http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html[/url]

very good quality and well made, lots of options. And if something is not there, just email Stewart, he'll sort you out.
I haven't bought many because... I don't have to buy many. the first ones I bought back in 2001 or 2002 are still going strong.
Mic, instrument, patch leads... whatever.

Highly recommended.

Jose, not connected to the company, just a very happy customer
(and I had the pleasure of meeting Stewart too at a ukmg meeting, great no-bull kind of guy)

Never used Monster Cables but for ages I used Planet Waves, was always satisfied with them, however my gigging lead started to look a bit sorry for itself. So, I bought one of OBBMs (the Klotz version) . Indoors, through my practice amp, the difference was amazing, the bottom end was much more present - and this is through a15 watt amp with 8 inch speaker. I don`t know if I would notice it it in a band situation as I haven`t tried, but certainly at home, playing bass on its own I could definately tell the difference. Like someone had upped the bass control by 1 or 2, but kept all the other settings the same.

From the Wiki link on page 1;

"On April 1, 2008, Monster Cable sent a cease and desist letter to Blue Jeans Cable,[21] claiming infringement on certain patents[16] owned by Monster Cable. The owner of Blue Jeans Cable, Kurt Denke, previously a litigation lawyer, responded with a letter detailing flaws and shortcomings in the allegations of patent infringement, adding "Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it."[22] In this correspondence, Denke also observed the possibility of Monster Cable avoiding federal income taxes by using a Bermuda-based holding company."
:)