Why become a member? ×

So, the public have voted in the BBC rock n roll band show & the greatest bass player is...

Cat Burrito

Dont mention the bloomin world cup .........again!!! I swear, if I hear about 66 again........And it`s not even started yet!!!!!!!

Someone like Flea was always gonna win. How many of your avarage fans of music have heard of Pino or Jaco?

Jez

Flea was always gonna be the winner, after speaking to many non-muso mates, he's about the only bassist they've ever heard of :)

The program started off alright, I enjoyed the singer one but thought it declined in quality afterwards...as mentioned, a lot of it was just reinforcing stereotypes.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='858734' date='Jun 6 2010, 11:26 AM']You lot are always getting angry at the telly. Just don't watch the telly![/quote]

I don't think anyone is getting angry and there isn't a post on this thread to suggest this is the case. I would agree that there are far better things to do in life than watch TV but a little bit of TV never hurt anyone. I discovered some of my favourite bands through TV and it was TV that made me want to play in the first place, watching music shows (records got me into music, TV made me want to play it). And remember we're all reading this online - starring at a different kind of screen! :)

[quote name='alanbass1' post='858766' date='Jun 6 2010, 11:57 AM']For a Rock and Roll band Flea is a worthy winner. Can't think of the likes of Jaco, MK or the plethora of technically better bassists fitting in with the rock and roll mentality[/quote]
Yeah, that Entwistle bloke would have been rubbish in a rock band... :) :rolleyes:

At least Mr Flea is still making new music in a band that's mostly still alive.

It was pants though, even the presence of Mark Radcliffe and Copeland couldn't keep me on that programme whilst ironing :)

I was most impressed, however, when someone said that Moon must have been a right royal pain for the rest of his band. Usually these things are all confetti about how wonderful they all were.

Pretty awful show with pretty rubbish experts and guests. My favourite moments:

Jonathan Ross having no real idea on who Tony Iommi is.

Copeland trying to argue that Sting was the best bassist because he had strong fingers

Mark Ronson arguing that Jimmy Page basically invented hip hop and Hendrix didn't really come up with many memorable riffs.

That it took Vic Reeves to mention that Jeff Beck belongs in the short list of best guitarist kinda sums up the show.

Jonathan Ross almost seemed annoyed that Led Zep won best band rather than Queen or the Beatles.

The show really said more about the presenters and guests rather than the people and bands nominated for any of the 'awards'.

[quote name='Marvin' post='859083' date='Jun 6 2010, 05:45 PM']Saw it went on for 2 whole hours and couldn't be arsed to even start watching it. I fell asleep to some movie with Vin Diesel in it.[/quote]

There was a Vin Diesel film on? I should have just watched that.

[quote name='garethox' post='858662' date='Jun 6 2010, 09:34 AM']We're bass players... we don't warrant a shortlist![/quote]

The best Bass Player joke I heard so far - 'How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?
None, because we're not afraid of the dark.'
[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='858734' date='Jun 6 2010, 11:26 AM']You lot are always getting angry at the telly. Just don't watch the telly![/quote]
We dropped Sky TV when the box started malfunctioning. Got a Freeview box.. it's amazing how much less telly we watch now! :)

[quote name='hubrad' post='859089' date='Jun 6 2010, 05:49 PM']The best Bass Player joke I heard so far - 'How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?
None, [color="#FF0000"]because we're not afraid of the dark.[/color]'

We dropped Sky TV when the box started malfunctioning. Got a Freeview box.. it's amazing how much less telly we watch now! :)[/quote]

I thought it was none because the keyboard player did it with his left hand - hey at least we can take the pi55 out of ourselves!

I thought the program was fairly naff and the fact that bass players didn't get the same voting and debate format as the others was disappointing but not suprising. While I'm still annoyed about it I may actually contact the BBC and complain about it. I would like to hear why they side lined bass players and re-inforced the original stereotype that bass players are the poor relation in the band and should be relegated to the back. Maybe next time they play some music they should turn the bass down. It won't matter which band it is, or which singer, guitarist or drummer is in the band it will sound empty (like their heads).

Rant almost over!!!

It is a typical result of the people who vote in polls, they don't neccesarily know anything about the subject to make any informed judgement, and the result doesn't really mean anything.
It is just TV entertainment.
I remember the polls in the music papers years ago, Ringo Starr best drummer, Sid Vicious best bassist....... just fans voting for their favourites.
Who in all seriousness would bother wasting money on a stamp and envelope.

Jonathan Ross came across as a total plank, I am starting to look forward to his departure from the BBC.

And that Miquita Oliver is a sour little sh*t who shouldn't be allowed within a hundred yards of a camera, she had no real opinions on anything, least of all Nirvana, who she was supposed to be advocating.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='858712' date='Jun 6 2010, 10:01 AM'][G]enerally the public like flash and showmanship over steadiness and solidness.[/quote]

[quote name='Rich' post='858881' date='Jun 6 2010, 12:53 PM']Yeah, that Entwistle bloke would have been rubbish in a rock band... :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Explaining the winners in every category - and why any band that comprised Mercury, Hendrix, Flea and Bonham would be crap.

Call me cynical, but I'd be more interested in learning where the money raised from the telephone voting goes than I was in hearing the outcome of any of the polls.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='858780' date='Jun 6 2010, 12:05 PM']Dont mention the bloomin world cup .........again!!! I swear, if I hear about 66 again........And it`s not even started yet!!!!!!!

Someone like Flea was always gonna win. How many of your avarage fans of music have heard of Pino or Jaco?

Jez[/quote]

Somebody shouted 'Jaco Pastorious' just after the announcement - get your iPlayer out. I felt vindicated at the time, haha.

Flea is a bigger deal than some of the musos on here let on.

Serch for 'funky monks' on you tube, particularly 'give it away'. Rick Rubin tells Flea 'not be too not-ey'. just before the take flea does a hilarious burst of notes. As big as Jaco, but with Madonnas teeth.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='859477' date='Jun 7 2010, 01:30 AM']Search for 'funky monks' on you tube, particularly 'give it away'. Rick Rubin tells Flea 'not be too not-ey'. just before the take flea does a hilarious burst of notes. As big as Jaco, but with Madonnas teeth.[/quote]

Do you have a direct link?
A search for Funky Monks finds several tribute bands, including one with a female lead vocalist ....

Oh and Jaco in a [i]rock[/i] band? Yeah, sure .... :)

Didn't see it as I was out supprting proper live music :) Yes I have a recorder but just couldn't be bothered. Now I've discovered from this thread that Jonathan Ross was involved I'm happy I made the right decision. Surely there can't be much time left on his contract? Please BBC just pay him off and get rid now.

I switched over to it, saw Woss was hosting it, and switched over to something else.

On a non-bass aspect, I couldn't work out why every other member of the 'Oo got in but Daltrey, one of the finest voices of all time, was ignored, especially when that wobbly-voiced squawker Plant got in.

And this week on Points Of View.... :)

We spoke to several people in the street, one agreed with us, one didn't, and one punched our reporter when he mentioned Flea, Led Zepplin and Jonathan Ross all in the same sentance...

Bloody Beeb :rolleyes:

M

[quote name='thodrik' post='859077' date='Jun 6 2010, 05:40 PM']Pretty awful show with pretty rubbish experts and guests. My favourite moments:

[color="#FF0000"]Jonathan Ross having no real idea on who Tony Iommi is.[/color]

Copeland trying to argue that Sting was the best bassist because he had strong fingers

Mark Ronson arguing that Jimmy Page basically invented hip hop and Hendrix didn't really come up with many memorable riffs.

That it took Vic Reeves to mention that Jeff Beck belongs in the short list of best guitarist kinda sums up the show.

Jonathan Ross almost seemed annoyed that Led Zep won best band rather than Queen or the Beatles.

The show really said more about the presenters and guests rather than the people and bands nominated for any of the 'awards'.[/quote]

This shows what plank Jonathan Ross is. Tony Iommi was featured and interviewed in the episode on guitarists. Clearly Ross has not watched the series and was drafted in to host the live show in order to fullfill his BBC contractural obligations.

If you look at the studio audience for this program, you can see exactly where the TV target audience was aimed at.
Therefore it stands to reason, that Flea was going to be voted in as the best bass guitarist.

How many early 20 somethings are familiar with The Chilis? Lots.

Same question about the other bassists, not as many.

Simple maths.

If the show had been done in a more schoastic manner and was screened on say, BBC4, then God know what kind of atrocity would have occurred.

"And the award for The Greatest Bassist Of All Time, voted by you, BBC4 viewers goes to...."

Anyone?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='860987' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:53 PM']If the show had been done in a more schoastic manner and was screened on say, BBC4, then God know what kind of atrocity would have occurred.

"And the award for The Greatest Bassist Of All Time, voted by you, BBC4 viewers goes to...."

Anyone?[/quote]

Mingus