Why become a member? ×

Playing bass wearing black silk gloves - for BETTER TONE

xilddx

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='913866' date='Aug 3 2010, 02:00 PM']I should have mentioned he's not scary at all and it's incredibly funny when you're at the match and it's in context.

Anyway. I can't see how I could hold a plectrum with gloves on.[/quote]
I was only kidding mate :) I can imagine it's hilarious.

I haven't tried them with a pick yet, will be doing so tomorrow.

i wont lie i'm very very intrigued by this whole gloves thing... i may have to route about the house and see if i can find anything!

cheers for the thread though silddx its made for interesting reading, personally i couldnt give two shits what peopls think i look like on stage because half the time i look like this:

so playing with gloves would just be another thing to make me look like an animal so it wouldnt matter to me! :)

I've done about 18 hours of rehearsals and three gigs with the gloves. I've worn a small hole in the right hand index finger.

People have made comments about them after the gigs but also mentioned the bass player too, the gloves are obviously a good device to get people to listen to the bass :)

So, is there anyone out there playing with gloves? I can't be the only member of BC who wears them can I?

I'm looking for some gloves at the moment for the opposite reason :)

I find it very difficult to play at my best when my hands are cold, and an outdoor gig on Sat was hard work until I got a little warmed up.

I set my rig up to work at its best when the strings have lost their initial brightness (I use stainless Rotosounds), and find some of the more busy stuff far easier once I've got a bit of a sweat on - not always easy when playing out doors.

So I'm trying various fingerless gloves to see if they will help enough to be worth keeping in the box of leads and stuff I drag to every gig.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='919618' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:50 PM']I'm looking for some gloves at the moment for the opposite reason :)

I find it very difficult to play at my best when my hands are cold, and an outdoor gig on Sat was hard work until I got a little warmed up.

I set my rig up to work at its best when the strings have lost their initial brightness (I use stainless Rotosounds), and find some of the more busy stuff far easier once I've got a bit of a sweat on - not always easy when playing out doors.

So I'm trying various fingerless gloves to see if they will help enough to be worth keeping in the box of leads and stuff I drag to every gig.[/quote]
Try the ones in my op mate, they really are great. They feel warm when you first put them on, but even on a hot sweaty gig like last night, they never once feel uncomfortable. The biggest benefits I have found are better and more consistent tone, no string noise, much smoother, much faster .. oh and did I mention better and more consistent tone?

[quote name='paul h' post='855841' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:01 AM']I admit to being a bit intrigued by this glove thing so I decided to do my own little sound test. Apparently my bass playing is completely shot and I can't play in time with or without gloves but have a listen any way.

One half is played au naturel and the other wearing some woolly gloves from Next. See if you can tell which is which.

[attachment=51287:glove_test.mp3][/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

The guitarist in my former band could have done with some of these, incredibly acidic sweat which has actually attacked the metalwork on his Jackson...! Oh and he used to get lines of salt.... I think.... on the guitar itself if playing under a lot of lights.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

to save opening another thread.

I've just ordered some of these silk gloves, as I too kill strings in maybe 1 or 2 play through. I just went through a set of rotosounds in 1 practice.
Since I use DR's mainly and love the new string tone they have, I cant wait to try these gloves with them to see how much longer they last. even if i get an extra Rehearsal or a few days of practice at home with them it'll be worth it.

Will post back when they arrive with my opinion.

I played an open-air gig in Brentford High Street a week before Xmas, on an evening when the temperature was just above freezing. I remembered this thread just in time, and dug out some silk undergloves (for wearing under heavy leather gloves on the bike) to play in.

To my complete amazement, it actually worked. :lol:

I wouldn't choose to play in them on a regular basis, but I was surprised to find that it was really quite easy to do, and required no changes in technique.

I've been known to keep teasing the williams by saying there's a celebrity guest coming on later - then playing Hey Joe with a sooty puppet the wrong way round on my left hand.

And I've played in fingerless wool mittens for a laugh

But I think I'd rag silk gloves within seconds to be honest - you should see the state of sooty !

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1281357556' post='919599']
I've done about 18 hours of rehearsals and three gigs with the gloves. I've worn a small hole in the right hand index finger.
[/quote]

Quick Nige, some nail varnish will stop it laddering!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1325336616' post='1482221']
what's with these *ipb* files that everyone is posting? My PC isn't liking those at all or is it some conversion that my browser is doing? <_<
[/quote]

I think it's a result of the changeover to the new forum format - some files uploaded directly to BC seem to have got munged. FWIW I've edited mine to link to a version in my Dropbox folder & the post now shows a natty little player thingy.

P.