Why become a member? ×

Buying/selling Basses/Amps/Cabs

Musicman20

Hi all

With all my buying/selling, I think Ive reached a point where Im struggling to find anything thats better. Its almost like I expect there to be something I should be looking for, but it isnt there.

Ive decided to stop once my orders arrive, and enjoy and gig what Ive got. More practice, less GAS. I tend to find when I use my gear I realise how much I like it.

There is one thing left; a 'void' where the Classic Stingray sat for about 24 hours. I sold 2 great Stingray 4s for that, and owning two was definitely overkill. But, I still think I will fill that void with another standard 3EQ white Stingray with maple board. Mmmm.

I also discovered that more exotic manufactures just dont work for me.

Edited by Musicman20

i'm much the same matey, scouring the forums on here is definately bad for me! so much GAS but then i roll up to practice, and can't fault my gear!

i'd still like to upgrade my squire affinity jazz, but it can wait as i dont gig it!

just when i play different venues and my sound changes radically and with horrible stages and horrible shaped rooms, sometimes you have to wonder!

I've long found that only Precisions work for me. I eventually got to Markbass amps, and apart from upgrading my homemade 12" ext cab to a Markbass 15 of some sort, I'm done, equipment-wise.

Although a black Classic 50s P is a definite addition sometime...
:)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='852567' date='May 31 2010, 01:19 PM']Hi all

With all my buying/selling, I think Ive reached a point where Im struggling to find anything thats better. Its almost like I expect there to be something I should be looking for, but it isnt there.

Ive decided to stop once my orders arrive, and enjoy and gig what Ive got. More practice, less GAS. I tend to find when I use my gear I realise how much I like it.

There is one thing left; a 'void' where the Classic Stingray sat for about 24 hours. I sold 2 great Stingray 4s for that, and owning two was definitely overkill. But, I still think I will fill that void with another standard 3EQ white Stingray with maple board. Mmmm.

I also discovered that more exotic manufactures just dont work for me.[/quote]
And the reason the "more exotic"manufacturers dont work for YOU or anyone else is YOU CANNOT REINVENT THE WHEEL...
We are all suckers for the speil and we all fall for it.
Some of us learn faster than others that the only difference...I once bought a very well publicised and highly regarded USA luthier built instrument....it cost 3 months wages...Its the biggest pile of crap I ever had the misfortune to own...rather than embarras myself and immediately take a loss on selling it......It can sit in the loft and mature til I keel over and the kids can sell it on as part of the estate...I would not knowingly pass it on to any fool

I have 3 high quality ( IMV ) basses and I can see the whole point of them, and the build quality, totally, but sure, I am more than happy with my amp and cab set-up.

Am I looking at other options? yes.. I will continue with my thinking on new cabs knowing that if they work, then I may sell my current set. If the new cabs don't work as well...then I'll sell them..hopefully getting the money back that I pay for them.
I also have an eye out for an amp..same deal.

But if I have to stick with what I have, then I'll still be happy.

I think that after a frenzied period of buying, selling, trading, etc., we all find our personal "nirvana" at some point. Clarky & Beedster are into their vintage Fenders, Gareth's into his Fenders/Music Man basses, Ped's into his Vigiers, etc. Mine are definitely Status basses for the main part of my playing, and if I need a more traditional instrument, a Fender Jazz does the job just fine.

I've been through a long search of wooden basses & arrived back at the passive Jazz bass after trying active Jazzes, Super Jazzes (they're all fantastically made & well equipped, but somehow miss the mark by a country mile!), Music Man Stingrays, an ACG, Precisions, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, if I'm not using a Status bass, the Jazz will do just fine.

As for amplification, my rig has been a gradual evolution over 25 years from cheap Laney gear, through lots of Trace Elliot, Ashdown, Mark Bass and finally onto Genz Benz. I don't really GAS for amplifiers. As long as they're reliable, light weight and faithfully reproduce the sound of my instruments, I'm not really fussed.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='852591' date='May 31 2010, 01:46 PM']I think that after a frenzied period of buying, selling, trading, etc., we all find our personal "nirvana" at some point. Mine is Status basses for the main part of my playing, and if I need a more traditional instrument, a Fender Jazz does the job just fine.

I've been through a long search of wooden basses & arrived back at the passive Jazz bass after trying active Jazzes, Super Jazzes (they're all fantastically made & well equipped, but somehow miss the mark!), Music Man Stingrays, an ACG, Precisions, etc, etc. At the end of the day, if I'm not using a Status bass, the Jazz will do just fine.

As for amplification, my rig has been a gradual evolution over 25 years from cheap Laney gear, through lots of Trace Elliot, Ashdown, Mark Bass and finally onto Genz Benz. I don't really GAS for amplifiers. As long as they're reliable, light weight and faithfully reproduce the sound of my instruments, I'm not really fussed.[/quote]

I agree Rich, we hit a tonal nirvana, then we move on, only to want it back. I think Im a Fender/EBMM fanboy for a reason; because they work for me.

I also agree a little with the super-jazz. Ive tried some, (although nothing as good as a Sei/Overwater as Ive never had the chance) but for me, a passive Fender Jazz IS the Jazz tone im looking for.

You are of course right, although as many of us tend to look at basses as objects of desire (almost like works of art) I think GAS is hard to kill off (witness recent tide of enthusiasm for the MM Big Al).

I have too many basses and some of them I have bought purely on looks (Thunderbird) or because of BC-inspired, misplaced enthusiasm (fretless Precision; I am rubbish at fretless so why???). TBH, my 72P and Nash Jazz could cover everything I am likely to need, plus I have Sid as my 'beater bass' for skanky venues where all the gear is thrown into a big pile in a locked cupboard (if you're lucky). I would like a nice 5-string (I am after an Alembic) for variety but it would be a luxury and absolutely not a necessity.

As regards rig, my Mesa Walkabout sounds fab and is a portable version of the warm, tubey sound I have in my head from a whopping great Ampeg or Orange valve rig weighing several times as much. No need to change that all.

So I think I'm agreeing with you :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='852602' date='May 31 2010, 02:00 PM']You are of course right, although as many of us tend to look at basses as objects of desire (almost like works of art) I think GAS is hard to kill off (witness recent tide of enthusiasm for the MM Big Al).

I have too many basses and some of them I have bought purely on looks (Thunderbird) or because of BC-inspired, misplaced enthusiasm (fretless Precision; I am rubbish at fretless so why???). TBH, my 72P and Nash Jazz could cover everything I am likely to need, plus I have Sid as my 'beater bass' for skanky venues where all the gear is thrown into a big pile in a locked cupboard (if you're lucky). I would like a nice 5-string (I am after an Alembic) for variety but it would be a luxury and absolutely not a necessity.

As regards rig, my Mesa Walkabout sounds fab and is a portable version of the warm, tubey sound I have in my head from a whopping great Ampeg or Orange valve rig weighing several times as much. No need to change that all.

So I think I'm agreeing with you :)[/quote]

Haha, I know something with catch my eye, but that 'different instrument' I craved for my 30th (which was almost a custom) ended up being part Ray 5 and part Big Al 5. I think for me its time to spend money in other areas of life now though. I want to concentrate on playing and writing with the originals band now. Obviously Ill never leave this place, but I must resist GAS! Especially of the Amp kind. I almost thought of selling the Orange rig, then I plugged in and realised it was an insane idea.

I too nearly went for a fretless, and I think for now Ive got enough on my plate to concentrate on. Maybe a few years down the line ill try my skills at fretless, and see if I can get my skills upto a decent level on it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='852616' date='May 31 2010, 02:13 PM']Haha, I know something with catch my eye, but that 'different instrument' I craved for my 30th (which was almost a custom) ended up being part Ray 5 and part Big Al 5. I think for me its time to spend money in other areas of life now though. I want to concentrate on playing and writing with the originals band now. Obviously Ill never leave this place, but I must resist GAS! Especially of the Amp kind. I almost thought of selling the Orange rig, then I plugged in and realised it was an insane idea.

I too nearly went for a fretless, and I think for now Ive got enough on my plate to concentrate on. Maybe a few years down the line ill try my skills at fretless, and see if I can get my skills upto a decent level on it.[/quote]

Cool, so when do you want to meet up to trade your Orange rig for my fretless? :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Musicman20' post='852567' date='May 31 2010, 01:19 PM']Hi all

With all my buying/selling, I think Ive reached a point where Im struggling to find anything thats better. Its almost like I expect there to be something I should be looking for, but it isnt there.[/quote]

Exactly how i feel.

When i sold my DD last month i was going to use the money to get a replacement. I was happy with the Ray34 at the time and really struggled to find something i wanted.
Its not that i didn't see anything i liked, but i just felt what's the point. I have a bass im happy playing, why do i need to get in to even more debt for something i want rather than i need. I also didnt feel like losing money when i sell it. I work it out that over the past 18 months ive lost almost £1000. All because i thought there was something better.
I feel ive had the best for me, and just didnt realise it.
For now im sticking to low priced gear, at least until i can settle down (or bass chats shuts down lol).

Now my GAS is budget GAS, and i feel a lot less pressure to get it right. I also see me going round in a circle. At least ive experienced a few different basses but i feel im going to be happiest with a passive Fender type of bass.

Amp/Cab wise i dont even think about changing my rigs. They arent perfect but they do the job.

BurritoBass has hit the nail on the head as far as im concerned. Its been nice buying new basses but ive focused to much on having something new and not enough time appreciating what i had.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='852644' date='May 31 2010, 02:37 PM']BurritoBass has hit the nail on the head as far as im concerned. Its been nice buying new basses but ive focused to much on having something new and not enough time appreciating what i had.[/quote]

+1

Perfectly summary of what Ive been upto!

A good friend, sadly now deceased, spent thousands on hi-fi equipment but very little on CDs to play on it. He was more interested in the technology than the music. Fair enough, his choice.

Seasick Steve can make some great music with a 'crappy' guitar, sometimes with only three strings. I sometimes wonder if all this pursuit of 'better tone' is just a way of displacing disatisfaction with musical ability. I have a P-bass and Ashdown rig that is good enough for many pro players but I'd be the first to admit I can't do it full justice. Don't get me wrong, I'm as easily seduced by GAS as anyone, but I reckon I really just need to practice more.

I doubt if my journey is finished yet, but I'm certainly much nearer my destination.

Being very new to bass-playing (Xmas 2005 was when I first picked up a bass) I can remember quite clearly every bass I've owned (see my sig) and why I sold it.

The last six months have seen my tastes close in very strongly on a Precision-type bass played through an Orange Terror Bass head into a Barefaced cab. This is NOT where I thought I'd end up!

I have retained my favourite vintage Hofners, and I have some very nice basses that are definitely not P's, but my GAS is subsiding steadily.

I have no regrets about the buying/selling frenzy that occupied much of the last few years. As a result of that, I know that the grass is NOT greener over there. I don't look at a Status or a Warwick and think "I must try one of those, maybe it would be better that what I have already". I've found the sound I want.

For now.

:)

This is a great thread.

I have spent so much time buying and trading amps and basses over the years, but have now realised that the sound I seem to have in my head isn´t anything new or radical.
Its a Precision through an Ampeg. Sometimes a Thunderbird gets in there too :)
I have two vintage Fenders, one I use to record with and a the other beaten up one, like Clarky´s Sid bass (its an Oly white 78), as my main live bass now.
I sometimes take out the Deluxe P aswell, but truth be told, they´re the cases I tend to grab most.
I tend to trade more than buy so I dont spend a ton on finding new stuff, but in the last few weeks I´ve gotten rid of some truly great stuff-just didn´t match what I had in my head (Phil Jones Briefcase, Ampeg B500DR) and will probably shed a few other bits (have some Ampeg and Trace Elliot cabs now redundant)
As of yesterday, I finished my quest for my dream amp- SVT 4 PRO into 610HLF.
As far as amps go, I reckon thats me sorted to be honest (though I am on the lookout for an Ampeg combo for rehearsals)

In terms of basses, I think may trade one or two of the current lot (maybe for a new Am Std Precision) but I´m pretty much done chasing basses too.

It´s great to feel GAS free!

I have found that since I got my current setup (Shuker JJ Burnel, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 with 2 neo Celestion-loaded Ashdown mini cabs), I stay out of music shops. I can't see the point any more, because I'm fairly unlikely to find anything that's going to beat what I've got. I am a Precision man at heart, the Shuker JJ is just a handbuilt Precision with a few improvements. I can't see me finding anything that I like better, and I can't justify owning more than one expensive bass-I was lucky to get this one! The only thing I did still fancy was a Rickenbacker, but a conversation recently with a bloke who'd owned and sold one has cured me of that one too.
As for my rig, it has all the power I'm likely to need, and is lightweight enough that I don't dread load-ins and outs any more. There are things I could still do with-a similar amp to act as backup, and a better PA system (I'm the singer, so I own ours), but as for my bass rig, for the moment, I'm sorted. I love the idea of a big valve amp, but I don't want the size, weight or expense.
It has, I have to say, taken away one of life's little pleasures. Those of you who say you wish you could be GAS-free, be careful what you wish for. I don't have it any more and to be honest I miss it.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='852706' date='May 31 2010, 03:33 PM']Don't get me wrong, I'm as easily seduced by GAS as anyone, but I reckon I really just need to practice more.[/quote]

Now, THAT'S the truth...for us all.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='852759' date='May 31 2010, 04:56 PM']Being very new to bass-playing (Xmas 2005 was when I first picked up a bass) I can remember quite clearly every bass I've owned (see my sig) and why I sold it.

The last six months have seen my tastes close in very strongly on a Precision-type bass played through an Orange Terror Bass head into a Barefaced cab. This is NOT where I thought I'd end up!

:)[/quote]

2005? Early? I only started last November.
The OTB and barefaced compact rig is not where I thought I'd be today. I thought (considering my guitar equipment) I would stick with my old Thunderbird 4, and end up with a bulky great orange AD200b(I'd still love one though).

Strangely I'm more than happy with what I have.

Amp wise I won't change. I thought about adding another cab, but it's so loud as it is another compact would be overkill.

Basses; well I have an amazing Fender, a hollowbody(which I've wanted for ages) and I just finished my parts-a-jazz.

There is only 1 or 2 things I truely want now still. A good warm fender P, a double H cream/black/maple EBMM ray, and a nice overdrive that sounds like what happens on low gain on my Ad140 with my jaguar.

I must have gone through 25 basses trying to find 'the one' and then I bought a Shuker. I didn't like it at first, it looked and played absolutely marvelous but it sounded odd to my ears and so I very nearly sold it. Then I ordered some custom made Wizard soap bars and the day they were fitted by Jon Shuker was the last day I looked at or wanted to play another bass.

I like trying new basses, but, as per Gareth's experience, it's hard to find instruments to compete with the gear I already have. I still have a pseudo-list of basses/amps in my head that I've never owned/tried and would like to. Unfortunately I live on the wrong side of the Irish Sea to experience most of them without shelling out some cash... humbug...

I'm pretty close to my ideal now, but still have massive GAS pains sometimes - too much time spent in the 'For Sale' section here!

I've recently sorted myself out with a Warwick and Gallien set up that sounds amazing. Can't really imagine that I'll need anything else for my own stuff for a while. I'm gassing badly for a Jazz though which will hopefully be sorted soon, then I'll be using that for the bits of session work I do (and hopefully get more) and the Warwick for my originals band.

Of course that's not to say I'll never gas again, I fancy a SBMM Ray35 and various other stuff. None of it's really needed though.

• 2 weeks later...

I too think that I've finally reached my nirvana with regards to bass and Amp set ups.

Luckily, its's always been EBMM for me! :rolleyes: I have two dated 1990 which I picked up during the late 90's, early 90's tried fenders, hohners, yamaha etc etc but none of these did it for me... Then I got my first MM is 1994 and haven't regretted it since! Although I think my mid life crises is going to have to be a 1976 pre ernie ball... mmmnnn :lol:

As for Amp set ups, again when I started playing, i went through the usual fender, warwick, trace elliotts etc Finally fell in love with Ampeg, had a lovely 350 Classic Head, 1x18 & 4x10 cab, it was a beast, both in sound and moving terms... enter the micro heads, sold the Ampeg (Christ what was I thinking) and off I went in seach of something that I already had, but now I'm right back where I should be, have an amazing SVT 200T Ampeg with a 1x15 & 2x10 Ampeg cabs! :)

Don't believe the Hype... everyone has a sound in their heads... go to your local store and try as many bass and amp set ups that you can... when you find the right combination for you...buy it and be content!!

Cheers

Drew :lol: