Why become a member? ×

Who is your most inspirational bassist?

Chris2202

Geddy Lee, Steve Harris and Herbie Flowers were the guys who really got me started on bass. Latterly James Jamerson and Duck Dunn have added a lot, and probably dozens of other guys who I listen to a lot, without even knowing their names!

• 3 weeks later...

Jamerson/Babbitt/Edwards/McCartney/Squire/Dee Murray, considerable number of one-offs that I like, eg Burlesque by Family - Wetton really rips that up.

But for economy, fills that are amazingly melodic, and make-it-sound-easy ness, there's only one man - Joe Osborn.

The problem with Osborn? You have to like the Carpenters to really hear him at his best!

Edited by Telebass

[b]John Taylor[/b] (who is well under-rated)...[b]Bernard Edwards[/b]...[b]Jaco[/b]...[b]Mark King[/b].....[b]Macca[/b].....are the main one's.

Just as an aside....John Taylor and Bernard Edwards became very good friends, such good friends in fact that Bernard gave John his famous (Natural) Stingray, which John plays in Duran Duran's video for the single "Serious".

Edited by Rettoglide1

I like so many bassists but those that left an indellible mark on me are:

1. Chris Squire - my brother bought the Yes album back in the early 70's and the first album that I actually took notice of the bass player

2. Trevor Bolder - saw him play in '73 with Bowie in Hammersmith and was in awe - top sideburns also

3. Tony Levin - the person I would most like to play like....if only

All of the above are great inspiration for any Bass player old & new...& all the other musicians mentioned be they Guitarist/vocalist/keys/Drummers or composers..etc, music is inspiration but most of all good music played well,at this moment my inspiration is John Paul Jones....would also like to add to this vast list of Bass musicians Uriah Duffy

When I started playing bass, then it would have to be Sting, Derek Forbes from Simple Minds, Adam Clayton from U2, Gary Garry Beers from Inxs and Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam. Recently it has been Stuart Zender of Jamiroquai, Tim Commerford from Rage Against The Machine and Paul Webb from Talk Talk. Future is going to be James Jamerson and maybe some Pino.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='854207' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:53 PM'][b]John Taylor[/b] (who is well under-rated)...[b]Bernard Edwards[/b]...[b]Jaco[/b]...[b]Mark King[/b].....[b]Macca[/b].....are the main one's.

Just as an aside....John Taylor and Bernard Edwards became very good friends, such good friends in fact that Bernard gave John his famous (Natural) Stingray, which John plays in Duran Duran's video for the single "Serious".[/quote]
I heard (here) that some guitar tech cut off the strings off that 'ray and that they were the same ones 'Nard had used on all of "those" tunes. if that true.. GOD!! eh?
gonna you tube that durannie video now!
you dont mean "notorious" do you btw?
Edit:
No you didnt,did you?
suprisingly good tune I thought, sheeite...... does that make me a durannie? :)

Edited by witterth

The guy who made me want to pick up a bass was Scott Reeder from Kyuss but since then the most inspirational, excluding the obvious greats, has to Franc O'Shea his concepts on theory blew me away as well as his playing, I dont aspire to be that sort of player but got to admire that talent.

[quote name='Chris2202' post='823191' date='Apr 29 2010, 05:11 PM']Who is the most inspiration to you and the to guitar you play??
For Me it would Definately have to Be either John Entwhistle of The Who or Andy Fraser of Free :)[/quote]
Abraham Laboriel ......google the bugger

[quote name='Clarky' post='855209' date='Jun 2 2010, 06:52 PM']Didn't Abe Laboriel play on George Benson's Give me the night - the soundtrack to many attempted teen leg-overs for me. Back in the early 80s:-)[/quote]
Amongst others Yep....saw him in 2004/5 Edinburgh....WOW WOW WOW.....simply magical

Just nicked this info

George Benson, Larry Carlton, the Crusaders, Ella Fitzgerald, Dave Grusin, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, Al Jarreau, John Klemmer, Manhattan Transfer, Joe Pass, Joe Sample, Lalo Shifrin, Diane Schuur, Sara Vaughan, and Joe Zawinul. He recorded with Lee Ritenour, Ernie Watts, and Alex Acuna in a band called "Friendship" and has continued to record and travel with Lee and Dave Grusin for GRP Records. He also has been much in demand for work with artists like Lionel Richie, Quincy Jones, Jeffrey Osborne, Chaka Khan, Robbie Robertson, Kenny Rogers, Kenny Loggins, Ruben Blades and countless others. He was in fact voted by his peers in the LA Chapter of NARAS as the "Most Valuable Player" in the Bass chair for the three years in a row, joining Ray Brown and Chuck Domanico in that honor.

Back in the early days, Mark King was my god. Today it's a much broader church -- I guess my current favourite is Marcus Miller, not just for his bass playing but for his all-round abilities as musician, writer, producer.

[quote name='ezbass' post='823212' date='Apr 29 2010, 05:26 PM']How could I forget Tony Levin! (slaps head with palm).[/quote]
He's a slaphead with what..? :)

1[quote name='Rasta' post='856627' date='Jun 3 2010, 10:15 PM']Aston 'Familyman' Barret & William 'Bootsy' Collins :)[/quote]
Aston Barret yes,but "Bootsy" Collins ??!!??
youre 'avin a giraffe incha?
good at "dress up" yes, playing the Bass guitar? not so sure! well am sure..no.
& dont quote "Groove is in the heart" at me,
a dismembered animal could have come up with that!!
oh...and how "hard" it was with James Brown...just...."dont"
I'll probably be saying sorry for this in the morning!!
but Bootsie? I must have missed the meeting on that one!

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='856733' date='Jun 4 2010, 12:25 AM']These guys all influence me for different reasons. In no particular order.....

John Myung
John Patitucci
Mark King
Hadrien Feraud
Matthew Garrison
Anthony Jackson[/quote]

Y'know it's interesting to note that some of us have completely opposite influences.

I've heard of all of them - but many of them only in this forum it has to be said - but as far as I'm aware I've only actually heard Mark King play a bass. I understand Anthony Jackson has played on some popular records but I don't know which ones. The rest of them I'm fairly certain I've never heard at all.