Why become a member? ×

finnbass

munkonthehill

Lots of history, and the powers that be on here don't like it mentioned due to some personal feelings between them and the owner (and other members).

Do a search on Offtopic if you want more information, be forewarned it's a bit of a sh*tstorm in some of the threads.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='805411' date='Apr 13 2010, 09:44 PM'].... the powers that be on here don't like it mentioned due to some personal feelings between them and the owner (and other members).[/quote]

That's not true at all. Things have moved on. Finnbass is just another bass forum, end of.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='805472' date='Apr 13 2010, 10:26 PM']We eat babies... :)[/quote]

Isn't it your turn to cook, Paul? I've laid in a nice Château de Chasselas & it's Ken's turn to draw the Pentagram...

I'm "on" four music Forums: Here, There, The American One & Matsumoku.org - They're all different & useful in their own way; I've had several good grins, bought/sold some fine things & learned good stuff out of all of 'em & trust I will continue to do so.

To use the "pub" analogy I rate them like this

1: Here - Tends towards a busy Gastropub (Some real ale, lots of bottled Trappist rocket-fuel) , good range of punters, bar staff fine in the main, can be a bit Shi-Shi. Jazz-Funk on the sound system.

2: There - Back street spit & sawdust, sticky carpet in the Lounge, couple of handpumps (Mild & Bitter) & a nicewhitewinefortheladies. The kind of place that goes quiet when you walk in but warms up once everyone's got the measure of you. Jukebox full of Prog, Blues & Rock. Some Jazz.

3: The American One - Yates', with bouncers. Especially the Off-Topic section. Loop tape of Jaco & Cliff.

4: Matsumoku.org - As Finnbass, but it's the fundamentalist wing of CAMRA's local, & there's only 3 of 'em, so it's very quiet & the conversation can be rather erm... "focussed". No jukebox or fruit machines allowed.

IBTL,
Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

You stick with the forum that is the most useful ( or fun..? ) unless you have no life at all and duck and dive between them all.

I'll check out TB every nowe and then just to get a degree of balance or another perspective.... and post here mostly to counter balance their 'hype of the day' :) :rolleyes:

Useful research tools ... with one or two online friends made that I'd meet up with given the chance.

Or you could go for the flame wars... but I am not 12 anymore

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='805638' date='Apr 14 2010, 05:52 AM']To use the "pub" analogy I rate them like this

1: Here - Tends towards a busy Gastropub (Some real ale, lots of bottled Trappist rocket-fuel) , good range of punters, bar staff fine in the main, can be a bit Shi-Shi. Jazz-Funk on the sound system.

2: There - Back street spit & sawdust, sticky carpet in the Lounge, couple of handpumps (Mild & Bitter) & a nicewhitewinefortheladies. The kind of place that goes quiet when you walk in but warms up once everyone's got the measure of you. Jukebox full of Prog, Blues & Rock. Some Jazz.

3: The American One - Yates', with bouncers. Especially the Off-Topic section. Loop tape of Jaco & Cliff.

4: Matsumoku.org - As Finnbass, but it's the fundamentalist wing of CAMRA's local, & there's only 3 of 'em, so it's very quiet & the conversation can be rather erm... "focussed". No jukebox or fruit machines allowed.

IBTL,
Pete.[/quote]

If you're a Leftie there's a couple of others as well -

5. The 'other' American one - On one level it can seem a bit elitist (some might even say sinister), but if you qualify for membership they are actually very welcoming and friendly, and it's a great place to stop by for a drink with a few like minded friends. They do like the local brews though - it's not that they don't like foreign stuff - more that there's no great market for it so you don't see much of it around. Sort of a members' club with kind of a retro vibe. A range of rock on the sound system, plus some classics (a good place to hear The Beatles for example).

6. The German one - Very cosmopolitan place this, with an international clientele. I don't visit that often so don't really know the details, but when I do go I find it best to use it as a sort of shop with a coffee bar - although others will no doubt have a more rounded take. A nice place to be, but can be a bit aloof. As far as I can tell they don't have a sound system - there's so many live acts that they don't really seem to need it.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='JTUK' post='805672' date='Apr 14 2010, 08:15 AM']You stick with the forum that is the most useful ( or fun..? ) unless you have [b]no life at all[/b] and duck and dive between them all.[/quote]

That'll be me then...

Off to sign on, having spent the last two hours on re-typsetting CMS 123 (Maintenance of Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock at Outstations and Depots) - for fun I might add.

P.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='805638' date='Apr 14 2010, 05:52 AM']1: Here - Tends towards a busy Gastropub (Some real ale, lots of bottled Trappist rocket-fuel) , good range of punters, bar staff fine in the main, can be a bit Shi-Shi. Jazz-Funk on the sound system.

2: There - Back street spit & sawdust, sticky carpet in the Lounge, couple of handpumps (Mild & Bitter) & a nicewhitewinefortheladies. The kind of place that goes quiet when you walk in but warms up once everyone's got the measure of you. Jukebox full of Prog, Blues & Rock. Some Jazz.[/quote]

Really? I'm off. Bye!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='805402' date='Apr 13 2010, 09:37 PM']now im sure you have either read my posts or replies, so you know im a dedicated BC'er.

I stumbled into finnbass,,is there quite a few members on here as there is over there?

any comments on it?[/quote]
Why not sign up and find out for yourself?

Different forum, some very helpful members, very different atmostphere, but worth checking out. I enjoy both Finnbass and Basschat - the pace of finnbass is a lot slower though so I tend to spend more time browsing on here due to my short attention span :)

[quote name='Wil' post='806104' date='Apr 14 2010, 02:55 PM']Different forum, some very helpful members, very different atmostphere, but worth checking out. I enjoy both Finnbass and Basschat - the pace of finnbass is a lot slower though so I tend to spend more time browsing on here due to my short attention span :)[/quote]

.... +1, me too!

[quote name='Sibob' post='807060' date='Apr 15 2010, 12:44 PM']Friend of mine on here tried to sign up to Finnbass and was banned instantly!

Odd
Si[/quote]
Googlemail email address? I think Steve at Finnbass had to set up a filter because he was getting so many Gmail-based spam accounts. If your friend PMs a known FBer on here, I'm sure it can be sorted out (filter exceptions and all that).