Why become a member? ×

Would you play a style thats not to your taste ?

thunderbird13

I’ve been asked to have a jam with a guitarist who wants to do blues and blues rock stuff. In my opinion anything which gets me out and playing with other people is postive ( as long as its fun). But its not really my thing – I don’t mind blues but I’d never listen to it at home .It got me thinking would you play music that your not really bothered about , I don’t mean hate obviously , but just not that fussed about or would you hold out for something that you love and risk sitting in your bedroom for months on end until that comes along ?

I got back into playing when a very good mate asked me to dep for his blues band.

I can honestly say I loathe 'the blues' as delivered by almoist every pub blues band I've ever seen.

But I really enjoyed the gigs with that band, and am really glad that I did it, and really thankful that they asked.

To a point.

Money would turn my head for a little while but not indefinitely. Also, for a mate, I would do stuff I am not committed to just to help them out. What I woudl be wary of is playing an alien genre poorly because I didn't know what I was doing - that would be harder to justify.

I don't really enjoy playing 'Single Ladies' by Beyonce, it has a bass line that's almost non-existant and it's not the style of music that I like. There are quite a few other songs that I don't enjoy playing in the set list as well. But the other people in the 2 function bands I play in are all wicked, I love playing bass, I love gigging and I'm a better bass player because of it. So the pros out-weigh the cons.

Short answer is [b]no[/b].

Long answer is [b]maybe[/b] as it depends on a few things. Back in the day, if I was paid, I'd play whatever people wanted to hear. Nowadays (as I doubt I'd ever get paid to play) I'd do it if I was just having fun playing with others in a band or in jam context or if it was to help out a friend.

But if somebody wishes to offer me a large sum of money and a rock star lifestyle to play something I'm not mad on - I will consider it :)

I'd sound out the offer and if it suits then maybe...and that doesn't mean in a musical sense.

I am wary of blues band but then there are blues gtrs and blues gtrs. Done well it is great, but you need a thinking drummer and
pref another instrument...to get away from riffola all night.

But then you need a thinking drummer every time, anyway, whatever you play..and they aren't that many around.

Have to take the rough with the smooth IMV.

We have a weekly gig doing whatever we like.. but its really whatever the crowd like. So we cater for that, I love most of the songs myself but then have to play Dirty Old Town or Irish Rover, crap basslines but if the punters are happy so am I.

In 1997 I joined/formed a blues band with a mate. I never listen to blues music but I enjoy gigging and playing music of most genres... It was never intended to be long-term thing.

I left in 2005!!! Still don't like blues music to listen to, but it can be fun to play - especially if you like and get on with your bandmates. Then again, I've never relied on music as a source of income.

Why wouldn't you, get to play with others, maybe a pint afterwards, whats to think about ? As a musician don't you just like to play. I don't understand the "I'll do it for money" way of thinking.
I'm a musician, I play because I enjoy making music, this is best done with other musicians .
I am a bass player, a musician.
I am not a breadhead :)

Ta very glad Dale

Yes, I would - I've been doing that for the past 2 years with the rock covers band I'm with and to be honest I'm fairly indifferent about most of the songs in our set lists! :)

My band mostly covers modern rock, which I can take or leave and there are even 6 songs in our set lists that I hadn't heard before joining this band. But it's actually a good discipline to have to learn songs that aren't ones you would choose to learn if left to your own devices - I can only say that my playing has improved massively as a result of this.

But I'd still rather be playing classic rock standards, no matter how boring this may seem :rolleyes:

I think it depends on where you are in your bass-playing "career", for want of a better word. When you've got past the absolute beginner phase, and can play a bit, I think it's a good idea to play with anyone and everyone you can, regardless of style or genre, to improve the basic skills of listening to each other and playing together. It's great fun to make music in a group, even if it's not your favourite style. Plus, playing bass by yourself can be a bit boring after a while. If you're already playing regularly with other people, then I think it pays to be more choosey, and focus on the projects that you think will go places that interest you.

Just my 2p.

Edited by Earbrass

If it gets you out there and playing then why not? You may find that there's elements of the blues that you do like, or you can add your stamp to it and make it more funky, jazzy or rocky, depending on your preference.

Like yourself, I'm not a great fan of the blues, it can be formulaic and a bit limiting bass-wise. However, about 8 months ago I was asked to dep for a mate's mate's blues band. I wasn't keen at first but 8 months on and I'm still there, playing 3-4 gigs a month with them. I'm still not into the blues, but the guys in the band are great and I love playing with them, which makes up for a lot. I'm also using my double bass as much as possible so I can 1) Work on my fast playing and slap technique and 2) pull the whole thing in a jazzier direction.

Untimatley, you'll get something out of it if you put something in.

yes, better than sitting in bedroom playing with yourself :) (apology)

He's asking you to jam - by the nature of the beast, why can't he do some material that you want to do - give a bit, take a bit - only fair innit?

Edited by gicut58

I'm in a classic rock covers band, and a party band.

The party band plays stuff I never listened to in the late 80's & early 90's cos I thought it was crap (imagine learning the contents of "Now that's What I call music" vols 1 to 3), but for some reason I love playing it.

I don't get paid for either :)

Depends what you're in it for I suppose.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='791770' date='Mar 31 2010, 12:26 PM']Yes, I would - I've been doing that for the past 2 years with the rock covers band I'm with and to be honest I'm fairly indifferent about most of the songs in our set lists! :)

My band mostly covers modern rock, which I can take or leave and there are even 6 songs in our set lists that I hadn't heard before joining this band. But it's actually a good discipline to have to learn songs that aren't ones you would choose to learn if left to your own devices - I can only say that my playing has improved massively as a result of this.

But I'd still rather be playing classic rock standards, no matter how boring this may seem :rolleyes:[/quote]

I must admit I wouldn't go down this route in my own band. Deps..? fair enough, of course, but we have regular song picking sessions and if anyone objects to a song, out it goes.
Of course, you have to make pragmatic choices as well, but they really extend to whether we think the song will work vocally, instrumentally, etc..
If anyone says they hate the song, then that is it..its out.

I think this power of veto is great, personally...

I know we are going to have a few fights when it comes to a few functions, but then I am not bothered about them anyway...

Edited by JTUK

I wouldn't. I did it for a few years and the money was nice but ultimately it made me give up for 10 years because I was sick of just playing stuff I didn't really like. Now I'm playing stuff that I write, like listening to and love playing I coudln't be happier. Quick rule of thumb, if you don't like listening to the music, chances are you won't enjoy playing it.

I played in a classic soul band for a few years and really enjoyed it. I then moved and joined another band which also plays disco.

I learnt the requisite songs for the audition (Disco Inferno & Hot Stuff I think) & was offered the gig. I then sat down & listened to the full disco part of the set and really thought I'd never want to play it as I simply didn't like many of the songs.

The band convinced me to join and, lo & behold, I dicovered that the dynamics & challenge of playing disco were actually really good fun :)

Boogie Oogie Oogie is now my favourite of the songs we do & I recently fought to kep it on the set list!